Antenna replacement?

Midnight Dorifuta

Back in the Saddle
Jul 16, 2006
Monroe, New Jersey, United States
Well yesterday my girlfriend was looking in the back of the car for her iPod (one of our friends stole it, but that's a whle different subject) and I had the ignition and radio on so the antenna was raised. Not usually a problem except this antenna already had a bend in it I guess from spending 20+ years driving at highway speeds and when she went to close the hatch the spoiler caught the antenna... needless to say it bent and broke when I tried to bend it back into shape.

So now I have no idea what I'm going to do. I can't exactly be spending 200+ dollars on a new factory assembly, and was in the process of shopping around for a replacement that was going to either improve the overall look (shorter antenna), increase reception, or both. Has anyone replaced their stock antenna with something different? :*(

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Yep, I used the Honda S2000. Works great, let me see if I can find a picture......

here you go:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

let me see if I can get better pictures later.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If the nylon cord is still good and the motor isnt making any noises all you need is a new antenna rod. Thatll cost you $40 from Toyota and you can replace it in 15min.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
reydio;1392206 said:
Yep, I used the Honda S2000. Works great, let me see if I can find a picture......

here you go:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

let me see if I can get better pictures later.

how is that ? any modification needed to make it fit and work ??

I m want to replace my stock antenna, everytime it raise up, i feel like i m getting dish cable in my supra......

Last edited:

ToySup88

Apr 8, 2005
Twin Cities
I just replaced mine with a universal fit power antenna from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Easy install, some wiring required. Cost = $70

I like the clean look of fully retracted antenna when the car is off.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
I guess the motor on my antenna is shot cause its making all sorts of noises, and sometimes doesnt go up at all. Whats the cheapest/easiest replacement?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
the motor is most likely fine, its the teeth on the shaft that are stripped which is why its making noise.

general rule is that if the motor is turning (making "noise") then its not the problem.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
PureDrifter;1392464 said:
the motor is most likely fine, its the teeth on the shaft that are stripped which is why its making noise.

general rule is that if the motor is turning (making "noise") then its not the problem.

so what do you think would be my best route of fixing this.....sorry for the thread jack

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Boosted516;1392479 said:
so what do you think would be my best route of fixing this.....sorry for the thread jack

If theres no crunching noises from the motor, and it just doesnt go up sometimes, then it could be a bent antenna rod or the gears in the motor are bad. Mine only went up half way. I got a new rod it fixed the problem.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
i have removed my antenna and i a covering the hole up before i paint if you want the factory one off a 89 ill give it to you just pay shipping all yours bro its not bent at all

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
boosted516 there are plastic teeth that will strip and that is most likely your problem. its the actual part that pushes up the rod.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Sorry for the late reply, as for the S2K antenna, no mod to be done, it fits nicely on the existing hole. I will take more picture and when there is daylight. It is a powered antenna, so you will need to find a 12v power source. I just used one of the wires from the existing antenna connectors.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
reydio;1392611 said:
Sorry for the late reply, as for the S2K antenna, no mod to be done, it fits nicely on the existing hole. I will take more picture and when there is daylight. It is a powered antenna, so you will need to find a 12v power source. I just used one of the wires from the existing antenna connectors.
i can pull +12v from the antenna power, would you mind detailing the parts/part numbers you used for your antenna?

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Has anyone done the fin type (is300-lexus)? I'm thinking of replacing mine to this type and just wanting to make sure its going to work.

thanks

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I was going to do the S2000 antenna conversion, but since I decided to put a turbo spoiler on my 92, I went with an OEM turbo antenna..

it's slightly crooked, but it was cheap and works perfectly, so I'm happy..

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Boosted516;1392458 said:
I guess the motor on my antenna is shot cause its making all sorts of noises, and sometimes doesnt go up at all. Whats the cheapest/easiest replacement?

Mine was doing that for awhile when I put it back together, keep hitting it with wd40 while you give it a little encouragement to go up and down, takes a little while but it worked like a charm for me.

Midnight Dorifuta

Back in the Saddle
Jul 16, 2006
Monroe, New Jersey, United States
reydio;1392818 said:
Ok, found the place I purchased it from. When I say powered, I mean the antenna have an amplifier to gain the signal. Here is the website I ordered it from:

http://www.locustom.com/antennas.htm

I got the Shark Attack II

Did it improve reception?

I was considering a 4' long FireStik, just for the fact I'd also get pretty good CB reception and are planning on adding a CB radio soon as well. But it looks kinda 'lol'. I don't want to lose reception, I definitely want the ability to lock into more HD stations... that's why I replaced the awesome factory HU with my JVC KD-HDR50. D: