Another supra dies....mines....90 1J hardtop

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yikes! first, i'm glad you're alright!

second, from the pics, it certainly looks like you can rebuild it without too much headache. don't part it out. it is, (yes, IS) a great looking car.

-shaeff

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
damn. I know im reinforcing all of this but that sucks bro good luck with the rebuild dont part it out!! im buying a fire extinguisher also now. never realize how important they are until you need to use one huh?? good luck with the rebuild and dont give up on her!!!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
glad you are ok, sorry to hear about the car. its beautiful.

everyone should have a fire extinguisher in their car. the problem is, by far the best is Halon. however, it has been banned by the EPA for public use within the past couple years. if you can find it, get it! the standard fire extinguisher will work, but it is hell on whatever it comes in contact with.

good luck getting it put back together.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
Thanks guys for the support. Either way I will definitely go piece by piece with the rebuild with pics etc. Im a supra guy for now and I know I will be stayin in the camp for a while longer. These things are pure love.

I am down here in Ocean City and I saw a monster 69 mustang the whole works. In his windshield is a pic of it when it was on fire. It gave me some inspiration....i must say.

One thing...could you guys take a look at the pic that shows the back firewall. Behind the brake booster....is that the natural curve of the firewall or did it get burnt and distorted. This is the area so far that will make or break my rebuild at this time.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Yes, i think everyone should have an extinguisher. My electric fan wiring caught fire when i was drifting once. I popped my hood, ran out and patted it out with my hand. It wasn't a big fire, but it could have been had i not caught it in time

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Looks like you could have done something better with the location or quality of your wiring harness extension, to me.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
Yea I wanted to do something different with the harness. I did not install the engine...I bought it like this. Even still wiring up one of these 1Js is still a lil crazy either way. Hell I love to see these swaps even working...

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
that sucks...so whats the verdict on what exactly happened?

sounds to me that the fuel line had something to do with it, and a sloppy harness could def spark some fumes and ruin your day/week/month/car...

definitely salvageable tho...your probably one of the lucky ones

Last edited by a moderator:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
new windsheild, new lower cowl part on the windsheild and a new hood might be the only body damage... might need a new dash, but can't tell from the pics...

Wiring harness is trashed though, I dunno where you're gonna find one...

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Wow, thats crazy. I know of couple of cars that go up in flames but never a supra. Good thing your ok. Hope everything works out good for you and your car, Good luck.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
Poodles said:
new windsheild, new lower cowl part on the windsheild and a new hood might be the only body damage... might need a new dash, but can't tell from the pics...

Wiring harness is trashed though, I dunno where you're gonna find one...

Yea I agree...plus the dash. I am definitely gonna need a new one of those. Wiring harness...I thought somebody was making one of those right now?

I still havent gone back home yet to begin taking it apart yet. What is behind the dash that I have to worry about getting wet/burnt?

I agree the supra held up pretty well to the fire....I mean if you guys saw the flames....