Another supra dies....mines....90 1J hardtop

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
Well guys, my supra died an unfortunate death yesterday night. I was headed down to OC MD for the hot rod weekend and the car was driving better than it ever has. Double checked everything before I hit the road but did not make it to the destination. I was driving down US 1 South and noticed a couple of rich spikes on the A/F gauge. I pulled over to the side of the road and took a peak under the hood. Everything was connected just fine. Couple of guys automatically pulled over when they saw the ride on the side of the road. Great car guys. Not even import guys...fully domestic guys.

Gave the ride a couple of cranks and one guy yelled fire! fire! Jumped out the ride and tried to put it out but couldnt. Police came and tried to put it out....couldnt. Fire dept sprayed the hell out of it and finally it went out. I am definitely not happy about it but in the hobby....sometimes you win....sometimes you lose big.... Pics:

I am attaching a photobucket file. I will attach more pics when I get back home on sunday.

Before and Afters: Go here:

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/smoo215/?action=view&current=suprawax2.jpg

Last edited:

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
that's the second time I hear about our cars with turbo catching fire. Sorry to hear about the bad news. I'm definitely getting a fire ext for my car just in case.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
suprawax2mi3.png

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
File uploaded...

I am still investigating. I dropped off the car at the garage and picked up the mr2 to come back to oc md hot rod weekend. I will begin the investigation when I get back home.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
MDCmotorsports said:
Glad to hear you are ok, sorry to hear about the car.

What caught fire? Loose fuel line? Any thing salvageable?

Good news is a lot of the ride is still salavageable. If nothing went wrong with the motor...i will still have that. Pretty much everything that could handle getting wet is still A ok. Dash, hood, windshield, firewall, headliner, seats and carpet took the beating.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Sorry- I almost had that happen to my car- I had a weak battery, and a guy was nice enuf to offer to jump my car. I gave him his end of the cables(my mistake) after I hooked them up to my Supe. I get in and as soon as I sit down to crank, I see smoke pouring out from my hood I yell "disconnect it! disconnect it!). He runs around to his car and turns off the engine! THAT doesn't help me, i'm thinking. I jump out and pull the cables. Well, it fried the insulation off the ground strap of my coil pack. So, I settle down, and reverse the cables, but when I try to crank it, I smell serious fuel, so I stop immediately, and look at the engine. I see fuel pouring out of my stainless line from the rail to the FPR. Apparently, the short circuit chose the two wires of least resistance to travel on- the coilpack ground, and the stainless hose. the inner PTFE liner cooked instantly to a swiss-cheesy crisp, and fuel just poured from it. AFTER disconnecting the battery, I had to get a ride home, and build a new fuel line. I was shocked that my car didn't burst into flames. Sorry to threadjack, but this made me realize how I would feel if I lost my car to fire. I sure hope you get the chance to resurrect your car. You can call it the "Phoenix", literally.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
LOL I do like the name "Phoenix". Mainly bc I do like x men.

When I did see the fire start it did originate from under coil area. Not sure yet what set the thing ablaze yet. BUt I will not rest fully until I know.

I am not sure yet of I will be able to rebuild this body or whether it will make sense over just buying another one. I did try and think what other car I would like to be in its place....but it only rang back...SUPRA....so im down but I aint out. The phoenix shall rise again!

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
wow thats horrible man. atleast you can salvage some parts of that onto another supra but its a such a loss to see a beautiful supra get taken by fire.
This will reinforce me to get a Fire Ext. when i go turbo

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
My condolences....I'll be keeping up with this one as to the cause, I'm going
1J and definately get a extingusher for the car..

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
WOW That was a nice look Supra...Sorry for your loss....I am ordering a fire extinguisher too....Nice roll cage...Man that just sucks.... Rebuild her bud.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Rebuild it man! Dont' part it out or give up on it. It appears you're some what lucky - you didnt' loose the whole car and the fire didn't enter into the complete interior.

I see that the fire was localized towards the center and near the fire wall. Is there a fuel line back there?

p778755_1.jpg

p778755_2.jpg

p778755_3.jpg

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Weekend Objective : Buy Fire Extinguisher.

So sorry for the loss but don't let it ruin your love for supras. Rebuild it and appreciate the car even more.