Another Helicoil question thread

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
The exhaust leak has got to go....

THe VW guys I work with say I shouldn't use helicoil, but instead spring for the timesert kit. It's $113 for the M10x1.25 kit, compared to $60 for the helicoil kit at napa. Ebay has PermaCoil kits for $35 shipped. Which am I better off with? Are timeserts worth the extra money, and are helicoil knock-offs any good?

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
if i where you id do what i would do and not go cheap. its not worth it. do the timesert kit i know you know how it is if you go with something cheap on our cars:)

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I used Helicoil's on my old car and never had a problem with it after I did it, lots of people use Helicoil's and I haven't heard of any problems with them.

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
i bought a 30 dollar helicoil kit from autozone...came with the tap the helicoil (3) and the driver you put the helicoil in there with. you could borrow mine adn then all you would have to do is buy the 5 dollar helicoil!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I say use the helicoil, unless you're set on spending twice the price for something that may or may not be signifficantly better. I helicoiled all 7 stud holes in about 2 hrs. It was messy, but it was easy. I felt like I was really doing something useful on my engine finally. then my machinist called me and told me the head was junk due to crazy warpage and can't be saved ahahahaa. Needless to say, the helicoil was for nothing, but still, it was worth it!
eric

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It sounds like your mate is talking about "KeenSerts" they have locking pins to hold them in once in place, HeliCoils achieve this with the cut off end preventing them unscrewing.

Never had a problem with HeliCoils if they've been installed correctly.

Timmer

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
IJ. said:
It sounds like your mate is talking about "KeenSerts" they have locking pins to hold them in once in place, HeliCoils achieve this with the cut off end preventing them unscrewing.

Never had a problem with HeliCoils if they've been installed correctly.

They are called timecerts. I can't seem to find any info online, but I've used them and the tech behind them is very good, being a solid, semi press fit piece as apposed to a wound wire like setup that the helicoil uses. For this application with the relatively low torque being put on them, helicoils should do the job just fine though.

MKNTRAXX

Loves tire smoke
Mar 31, 2005
Orange, va
I work as an assembly tech building various machines and use helicoils all the times.. never any problems..

plus i have done it to two 7m engines

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
If you do get helicoils (which I have), make sure you get the screw-lock type. These are designed not to come out when removing the manifold down the road...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Probably find that they're the exact same thing as "Keenserts" it's just a brand name thing like "Helicoil" and "Recoil"

Why don't the Dak Dak guys like them?
(The noise VW's make ;) )

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I too am a machine builder and have used zillions of helicoils on everything imaginable. I also learned when working for Sundstrand Aviation to use Red Loctite on them for the best results. That's the Permanent type and have never had one come out. I put a link to an Awesome company that sells Everything called McMasted-Carr they sell all the different types in inserts. I use Nutserts in sheet metal when working on cars they are a great little nut.
Geezer
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Timmer

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
IJ. said:
Probably find that they're the exact same thing as "Keenserts" it's just a brand name thing like "Helicoil" and "Recoil"

Why don't the Dak Dak guys like them?
(The noise VW's make ;) )

The timecerts don't have any locking pins :nono: heh, not trying to be difficult, I swear.