Alternator and Tire concerns

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ok so i didnt know where to post this so i put this in general because it can apply to all.

I've had the car stored over the winter and am getting it ready to drive again this summer but i have two concerns. One is the alternator, last year out of no where i noticed the top lug w/ the plastic cap on it right next to my fuel return line was getting really hot. In fact i noticed that it was starting to burn the lug. Has anyone seen this or have any idea why it would get this hot? I want to take care of it now rather than when i'm 5 hours down the highway from home.

alternatordk8.jpg

The other is one of my tires, I have only put about 1k miles on this set but my driver side rear tire has tiney cracks along the camber line. All of the other tires are perect but this one has these cracks in it only after 1k miles. Any input? btw alignment is perfect.

tireuf3.jpg

could be nothing or something, has anyone elses alternator done this?

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
I'd get that alternator tested. When my alternator failed on my Eclipse, that main poz cable was fried and melted. Resulting in alternator malfunction.

And as far as the tire. I'd recommend just getting a new one. Looks like dry rotting.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
^ thats what i thought but there just isnt enough play in either for them to touch. I figured maybe a short somewhere in my electrical would cause this.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Mech Summer 2003

Thermal Runaway

Thermal runaway is a condition in which the current for a fully charged nickel-cadmium battery rises out of proportion to the impressed-voltage level. This condition is caused when heat from oxygen recombination-an inherent property of most rechargeable batteries-causes the battery's voltage to drop as it gets hot.

During thermal runaway, the battery can become dangerously hot, emit excessive amounts of toxic gas, and spew electrolyte. This condition can occur in either the battery workshop or the aircraft.

Low electrolyte levels, electrolyte contamination, no gas barrier, or a deteriorated gas barrier can cause thermal runaway.

When oxygen recombination occurs, heat is generated, causing the battery temperature to rise and the battery voltage to drop. This process causes the battery to draw a higher charge current. As the temperature of the battery increases, the battery voltage continues to decrease, and the current progressively becomes greater. As this process continues, electrolyte eventually reaches the boiling point. If allowed to continue, the electrolyte level may fall below the top of the plates, causing them to dry out. The cadmium plates may then ignite and burn like steel wool, melting the separator, causing the cell to short circuit, and igniting the hydrogen in the cell. A battery's stored energy can feed a short circuit, allowing it to burn through the entire battery.

I learn something new everyday!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Thermal runaway also happens in electrical wiring easy.

Resistance causes heat
Heat causes more resistance

This all happens until something melts

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Could it be the regulator as well?

After reading about some guy having his alternator catch on fire internally, when the three lights on my dash started coming on every so often, I got a new one ASAP...

Didn't want to jump to conclusions and post that first, but I'd check it out...