Alternate Location for Cruise Control On/Off Buttons

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I am re-installing cruise control on my car (came stock; assembly removed by previous owner during 1JZ swap; aftermarket wheel installed), and am gathering up the components. I think I have everything but my question is:

What has everyone done about re-locating the cruise control command buttons from the steering wheel? Is there any easy way around this? What wires do I need to address, in the combo switch harness?

Thanks for any help.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Just pick up an extra panel switch from someone who is parting out a car - the hazard switch, or foglights should work fine. Mount it in one of the spare switch locations and go from there.

I haven't looked into the wiring, but the cruise controls are extremely simple, so I rather doubt it's complicated.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
GrimJack;1184448 said:
Just pick up an extra panel switch from someone who is parting out a car - the hazard switch, or foglights should work fine. Mount it in one of the spare switch locations and go from there.

I haven't looked into the wiring, but the cruise controls are extremely simple, so I rather doubt it's complicated.

yea I bet you are right about the simplicity..I like this idea.

IJ.;1184487 said:
Supragirl got me an aftermarket Hub for my Momo wheel that has the cruise buttons :)

I had heard of these; do you have any pictures? or know if they are still available?

thanks for the replies

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
You could also use a cruise control on/off switch from a pre '89 car. They're located on the switch panel by the fog light switch.

The switch would look like this:
fb42_1.JPG

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
IJ.;1184538 said:
No pics sorry PM Suze and ask her, they should still be available.

It's just 3 tiny buttons on the top of the hub.

will do, thanks.

GrimJack;1184603 said:
Ya, I've seen that hub, pretty nice.

I think I will try to hunt one down..or go with the extra switch.

deabionni;1184726 said:
You could also use a cruise control on/off switch from a pre '89 car. They're located on the switch panel by the fog light switch.

The switch would look like this:
][/QUOTE]

the car is a pre-89, and has the pictured on/off switch. what I am looking to replace are the buttons on the steering wheel, for resume/accelerate or whatever is included. GrimJack's idea (I believe) was to add an additional pre-89 cruise control switch, to act as the steering wheel buttons. I think this is the best idea (unless the hub-adapters are still available, for a decent price, or if there are other options!!).

thanks

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
On my '87, I cut off the 3-button switch assembly from the stock steering wheel, and then visually looked to see which sliding hub terminals went to which wires on the switches. I soldered in extensions from the back of the hub to the switch assembly, which is current sitting under my small coin tray, or where the TEMS buttons are on some cars. I was planning to mount the switches in there somehow later on, but haven't got around to it. Mainly because my cruise control didn't work when I bought the car and needs troubleshooting, and I've been endlessly busy with other issues on the car! It should work, though.

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
88mkIIIproject;1184990 said:
interesting...I can't get any of the part number links to open to see more information (maybe because I am at work); I would like to see how they look.

I am going to do some searching on this today.

any other suggestions?

thanks

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

oops i didnt mean to click qoute reply. anywho, how do you just get rid of the cruise control off the steering? i got a steering wheel i want to put on but the plastic thing that sticks out from the stock hub that the cruise buttons plug into is in the way. i dont want to hack things apart... what can i do...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
When I replaced my 86.5's steering wheel, I just used an aftermarket hub and all..

I no longer have a horn though, but i'm going to wire it into the headlight washer button..

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
i had to hardwire my horn and its on the left of the steering wheel, but i still cant figure out how im gunna use the grant hub adapter. like i said, the plug for the cruise "resume cancel w/e" is in the way..

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
ok sorry for the ignorance. im young and this is my first REAL car.. i just didnt want to do something stupid and destroy it hah..

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I have the cruise control switches from a 91 Maxima that I planned to use when I went to aftermarket wheel, but never got around to it.
I will try to do it again with the red supra, as the wiring is quite simple.

The switch I used is pictured below and has 3 buttons (cancel)(resume/accel)(set/coast) I believe. They are from 89-91 Maxima's.
q.jpg