ALL MN Supra

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Hey you MN/ND/Wisconsin/Iowa MKIII guys. I am having a custom roll cage built for my 87. The local guy here in St. Cloud is well known and can make a chrome moly or DOM tubing cage that will be approved for 8.5 secs by NHRA. Funky_Monkey 58 and I are both getting one done. We think that if we go to him and have 3-5 guys that want one, we will be in a good position to get them done at a lower price. PM me if your interested. The shop is all booked out until March.

Dan

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
leecheater;1459850 said:
Hey you MN/ND/Wisconsin/Iowa MKIII guys. I am having a custom roll cage built for my 87. The local guy here in St. Cloud is well known and can make a chrome moly or DOM tubing cage that will be approved for 8.5 secs by NHRA. Funky_Monkey 58 and I are both getting one done. We think that if we go to him and have 3-5 guys that want one, we will be in a good position to get them done at a lower price. PM me if your interested. The shop is all booked out until March.
Dan

what if I bring up an old classic to put a cage in? could I still get in on the deal? it probably be similar cage as it would be going into a couple of Mk.IIs depending on what we can get for a price.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
same here, i dont want or need one in my sup, but the datsun is gonna need one, any chance of a non supra getting a deal? it is really about quantity of buisness we could throw at him.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Lee_MA61 & fixitman04, funky_monkey58 and I are meeting with the guy today. I will ask. First of all we want ours done. I also got the name of another guy who does them but this Joe Z. guy has a great reputation.
I will ask about possibly doing some type of multipule car discount.

Dan

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Lee_MA61 & fixitman04, Sean and I went out to the guys shop last night. Come to find out, I actually had met him on several occasions but didn't know his name. His shop is huge and awesome. There we at least 8 cars inside in various stages of repair. All race cars.
He told me that it is legal to have a roll bar down to 10 seconds. For a chrome moly roll bar, he charges $1000. You have to remove interior. He makes the door bars so they can be taken out if your just out for a drive. A full cage is $2400. He requires $500 down to get on the list. The earliest he will be able to get at the cars would be late to mid March and he will need car for about 1 week. I am checking out my options this week, but am likely going to do it.
Here is his web site:

http://fatjoesracecraft.com/

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
well, thats rich... too much for me, besides i need a scca legal cage. guess il put that engineering school stuff to work and build my own.

and rob....wtf i even found this thread on my first day on the forum!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
fixitman04;1463288 said:
and rob....wtf i even found this thread on my first day on the forum!

I :dunno: . I guess I never searched for it and that was the first time it has popped up in new posts for me.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
For that price you could also buy your own tubing bender (any ware from $700-$2500 depending on how hi tech you go). Chrome moly tubing about $7 a foot, and DOM tubing is about $3 a foot. Plus this way you own a tubing bender, another tool to add to the collection. Use it twice / make 2 cages and it has more then paid for it self. Plus the satisfaction of doing it your self. :)

Plus invest in "Bend Tech". It is software/ computer program used to make the right size bends / ect on a roll cage. MAke in cyber space first to make sure everything is correct.

At least that is what I would do if I was looking at spending $2500+ on a roll cage and there is at least 2 people ready / willing to spend $$$ to have a cage.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Rob,
I fully understand the savings aspect, however, welding chromoly requires tig welder and you have to get it inspected. Plus, most tig welders don't have a lot of experience with it. We don't have the welder or the bender.
My goals are not below 10.0, so this only requires a roll bar, not a full cage. Joe makes the roll bar with the idea in mind that if a full cage is ever desired, he can continue building. The door bars can be made to unbolt and are removable if your just out for a cruise. I am planning to get on the list as soon as my boss gives me my Christmas bonus.

Dan

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
rob have you priced bend-tech software? upwards of $600! i have two benders already, and 1"-2.5" dies. i think il wing it on the design, i have a general idea of what i need for my car.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
leecheater;1463249 said:
Lee_MA61 & fixitman04, Sean and I went out to the guys shop last night. Come to find out, I actually had met him on several occasions but didn't know his name. His shop is huge and awesome. There we at least 8 cars inside in various stages of repair. All race cars.
He told me that it is legal to have a roll bar down to 10 seconds. For a chrome moly roll bar, he charges $1000. You have to remove interior. He makes the door bars so they can be taken out if your just out for a drive. A full cage is $2400. He requires $500 down to get on the list. The earliest he will be able to get at the cars would be late to mid March and he will need car for about 1 week. I am checking out my options this week, but am likely going to do it.
Here is his web site:

http://fatjoesracecraft.com/

sounds like some quality cages unfortunately I was looking at this or buying one of the tube kits they make for my car which is sub $800 for a full cage. and since I'm looking for two. You get what I'm getting at.

Thank you for looking into for us though, I do appreciate it.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
fixitman04;1465531 said:
rob have you priced bend-tech software? upwards of $600!

Bend tech pro is around $250 ;)

leecheater;1465336 said:
Rob,
I fully understand the savings aspect, however, welding chromoly requires tig welder and you have to get it inspected. Plus, most tig welders don't have a lot of experience with it. We don't have the welder or the bender.Dan

leecheater;1463249 said:
. A full cage is $2400. He requires $500 down to get on the list.

You dont have one, .............yet. Is what I was getting at. If your going to spend $2400 for each roll cage, 2 of them, (your and Sean's) that is almost $5k!!

Buy a quality bender for $2100, + bend tech pro for $250, and your at $2350 ish.

Add in what ever tuning you want to use, and I bet you spend less then $3k for 2 cages. Do the math and that is almost a $2k in savings PLUS you have the tools or you could re sell the bender and make your $$$$ back.

I have a local guy that can weld anything for $20-25 a hour ;).
Also there is probably some sort of "roll cage college" that one could go to if they wanted to for a couple hundo's. That is if they wanted to learn how to.

Also it doesn't matter what you make your cage out of it, ALL of it has to be inspected before every race, (tech inspection), after it is certified.

But as always it is up to you and it is your $$$$ to spend how you want.

Just my 2 cents. :biglaugh:

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Rob,
At this point Sean wants to do his own and I am opting for the less expensive roll bar. $500 for a certified bar isn't too bad in my book. It can be updated at a later date to a full cage. I just know how fast my car is right now and if I drop in a bigger turbo, it will be in the 10s, if my drive train will hold her. I also feel a tad safer knowing that if I flip the car, there is a much better chance to walk away from it.
Heck, if a guy had a shop and can weld this might be a pretty good job fabricating cages.

Dan

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
fixitman04;1467413 said:
well it has come down then, got a link to that price? it has been 3 years since i priced it
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Bend-Tech-PRO-Software-p-2208.html $280

All the way down to $70 for bend-tech EZ witch is just a 2D layout

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Bent-Tech-EZ-Software-p-2210.html

leecheater;1467610 said:
Rob,
At this point Sean wants to do his own and I am opting for the less expensive roll bar. $500 for a certified bar isn't too bad in my book.

I see now. Yes, $500 sound alot better and like you said you could add onto it later. So for 5 hundo is a 4 point cage (the main hoop behind the driver).

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Dan,

I also just found this. Bolt in looks to be just under 9 bones.

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/applicationlist.asp

What else has every one been up to?

Me this :evil2:
p1491792_1.jpg