Air Filters

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Sside;1901539 said:
2X Engine Protection..... 2X!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fram claims 100 HP gains on this filter. It was tested against walmart's super tech, auto zone's stp and blew them out. Super tech was very poor, Stp was good, Fram was excellent........
fram_extra_guard_air_filter_2.png
:rofl: I about died

I will be making a custom airbox guys, for whatever cone filter I use on the 4" turbo inlet

SeeUSmile;1901516 said:
Apexi all the way. Blitz a no no. Take a look

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

oh, damn just saw the test results o_O

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Spiral wound hose is a known restriction, they added a metre of it and wondered why there was little increase...

Guess they've based the show on MythBusters so flawed science and results is expected..

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
IJ.;1901669 said:
Spiral wound hose is a known restriction, they added a metre of it and wondered why there was little increase...
That's exactly what I was thinking IJ... and yeah I don't much care for mythbusters. They may as well all be wearing "dunce" hats.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Actually its called mighty car mods. They have an episode of swapping a 1jz into a cressida. I like watching their shows.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
[video=youtube;PAIxeQUSg-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q&feature=share&list=UUgJRL30YS6XFxq9Ga8W2J3A[/video]

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
After many years of K&N, I now have an Amsoil dry filter... Went off of the filter comparisons available on the interwebs. Lots of it showing K&N performance being much lower than you'd think.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Keep in mind that in order to have an increase in either flow or HP whatever filter it is, is allowing larger particulates to pass through its media. The larger the particulate boils down to more wear on metal parts. In the case of K&N or any other filter for that matter, it's very easy to see this by placing a piece of white gauze material on the inside just like Bob the Oil Guy Did in his tests. I'm sticking to Wix, and that’s my story.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprageezer;1902052 said:
Keep in mind that in order to have an increase in either flow or HP whatever filter it is, is allowing larger particulates to pass through its media. The larger the particulate boils down to more wear on metal parts. In the case of K&N or any other filter for that matter, it's very easy to see this by placing a piece of white gauze material on the inside just like Bob the Oil Guy Did in his tests. I'm sticking to Wix, and that’s my story.

Like already said, that only applies if the filters have the same surface area. Larger the filter, the more flow you cna have with the same filtration.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yep... this is pretty basic and straightforward.... the more surface area you have, the more you can increase filtration quality while keeping the same if not better airflow than the other guys.