Air Filters

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Just curious what you guys would recommend. I was about to buy a 4" Blitz SUS filter, but I wanted to see if you guys would advise against using that filter or any.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
2X Engine Protection..... 2X!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fram claims 100 HP gains on this filter. It was tested against walmart's super tech, auto zone's stp and blew them out. Super tech was very poor, Stp was good, Fram was excellent........
fram_extra_guard_air_filter_2.png

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I am pretty sure he was joking, since the sarcasm was dripping off my screen onto my desk...

I am not familiar with Blitz personally; I am running an AEM DryFlow, one of the best imo, but there are others as well. But yeah, Fram is not one of them, nor anything else that you can get from Walmart or even most auto parts stores (without perhaps special ordering)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I run K&N... inside the stock air cleaner box. Should I be changing that out to either the AEM or Apexi? I think K&N advertises heavier and is therefore found more.. not sure if it performs any worse/better.
Aren't both AEM dry flow and K&N "oiled" filters?

Liking the Apexi, but not sure if its worth the switch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Orion ZyGarian;1901595 said:
That was not a completely subjective test, though it did help to sell a ton more Apexi's.

Rule of thumb is if it flows more, it'll also flow more dirt and crap. Cant have both easily.

That only applies if they have the same surface area :)

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I love my 5" Blitz SUS filter. Sounds great too and supposedly breaths great as well. Not as effective filtering dirt as some of the others, but I don't drive down dusty dirt roads either. At least it filters better than a velocity stack. :biglaugh:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lol.. if (and I believe that must be "close" to true) this is true, then I would have been better to stay with the stock filter... :)

The Supra MK3 engine bay is the hottest one I have encountered so far... so I think having it shielded will help slightly... but the rest apparently is just hype.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I personally believe it only helps with heat soaking.

Basically it helps to keep power over a period of time.... Instead of losing it after 2 runs on the track or street

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
I have an AEM Dry Flow and no complaints. Paid about $60 for mine, don't think you can get an Apexi for anything close to that. Not to mention you can get the Dry Flow in any size you need/want.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
I paid $30 bucks for a new K&N drop in..... Why? I needed a replacement for the old dirty air filter it had. Did I notice a difference? NO.... Did I expect a difference? NO... Do I care? NO.... I just feel as if there are more important things to my car than something people have taken way overboard in the "tuning world".... While for most its the first thing they do, for me it will most likely be the last unless I find a crazy deal and not for performance but for the look. I do like the way they look :D.......