Air conditioning swap

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
I have an 87T that was AC stripped. The evaporator(?) is still under the dash and the two lines have been duct taped closed for ~4 years to keep it clean. The engine will be out of the 87T. I have all of the original AC stuff minus the AC lines. I also have an 89T and an 86.5NA spare parts cars, both of which have un-opened AC systems.

Goal is to put AC back onto my 87T using the donor parts. I have a few questions:

Are the AC systems the same from 86.5 -> 89, Turbo/non-turbo?
Can I just unbolt from car "A" and bolt onto car "B"?
Assuming the 89T has a functional AC system, will the dryer be OK swapped? How long can the dryer be "open" to atmosphere during swap?
Can I recharge it with R134 MYSELF if I convert? (I don't mind investing a few dollars here as I have a few Supras myself, and friends w/ Supras.)
Where do I get the o-rings/kits/lines required?
Any other tips/problems?

Yes I searched and read a ton about the Supra AC system on this forum. ;)
Thanks!
-Rich

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Good luck Rich!

Hopefully JetJock will see this and jump in with some advice.

I just hope it hasn't been butchered too badly as this is the downside when kids strip out parts they don't understand :(

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
when i stripped out my A/C parts, i taped plastic bags over the ends to prevent anything from gettin in the lines, etc... i have it all boxed up in my garage attic, so that oneday when i get picky and decide i want A/C again, i can put it back in. :)

i wouldn't imagine that the A/C systems changed by years, but that's just me guessing. you could look at the difference between the 86.5 and the '89 to find out.

-shaeff

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
IJ - I took the system out and stored everything. I'm 30YO so no kids here. It was properly unscrewed (not hack/slash) and the ends taped throughly to keep dust out. I didn't worry about the dryer at the time since I would normally replace it. I just had a brainstorm that I was replacing the motor and while it was out, I would like to re-install the AC equip. And guess what, I have two parts cars that worked before the engine's died. :evil2:

Jet - Thank you for the thorough response. This should become a sticky, which I think you've probably heard before. Since I have two closed, functional systems to choose from (plus my 4YO removed equipment) I'll take everything from the 89T and put it onto the 87T. Evac @ the 89T might be a problem since the 89T doesn't have, well, much of anything drivetrain left.

As far as filling, I might just take it to an AC shop. The last thing I need is to FINALLY finish my motor and then blow myself up. Thanks.

Last edited: