aftermarket tie rods

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Had the original tie rods for 19 years, but replaced them because my alignment guy compained they had rusty threads and were hard to adjust. I bought some Raybestos/Spicer aftermarket tie rods that were about 1/3 the price of Toyota tie rods. Should have known better...

First off, unlike the Toyota parts, the aftermarkets have effectively no rust protection. They come with surface rust on them before they are out of the bag, and these things are going under the car exposed to everything that the wheels can churn up! Second, after about 6 months the rubber boot on one side split. The other one lasted two years before also splitting open like a tulip. I learned my lesson, spend the $97 and buy Genuine.

DSCN7412.JPG

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Do the Moog's come painted, or are they going to turn bright orange after a month like my aftermarkets did? Also, can you get the 14 ft-lbs torque on the clamps, or are they too flimsy and weak like mine were.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Thanks for the review 3p, hopefully this saves someone else a future headache. :)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Mine came painted gray and the bolts were all good hardware.

I've had a few domestic friends over the years and Moog seems to be the top of the line for aftermarket. Most of their Toyota stuff is actually made in Japan too. Didn't realize till I just looked something up but their HQ is actually 20 minutes from my house too lol.

I'll see if I can grab a pic tonight.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
I've worked in automotive retail for about 10 years selling Moog and their fit and finish is top notch. They dissect OEM parts and make improvements on the original design for a better performing, longer lasting part. Nearly all their chassis parts are backed by a lifetime guarantee also.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The only issue I've had with moog when we use to get them in at my Toyota dealership when a customer was stuck and needed a link today, was that most if not all of the moog parts have grease nipples and are intended to be re-greased unlike most oem links. This can cause them to fail pre-maturely when one is unaware that one has installed a grease-able link on a car with formerly no grease-able links.

We avoided mevotech at all cost if possible, they generally have blue boots so they're easy to spot if repackaged under another brand. We've had several balljoints have the thread stipped off long before reaching its torque spec. Makes one wonder how long they will last even if they do make it to torque.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
jetjock;1867120 said:
Lmao @ a few months...

Anything to make you laugh. ;)

Seriously though I had one that I replaced on the passenger side a couple years ago from DM (not knocking DM and I still shop with them) and they were rusty all over within a couple months.

Yes I know I need to pull the knuckles and R&R them. It's a project for the future.
7804374232_db95e7db64_n.jpg

The coating is oil that's leaking from the oil cooler lines... AGAIN. Got the stud ordered to fix it ASAP.
7804372546_1d14ab8867_n.jpg

The driver side is showing a bit of surface rust mainly on the exposed portion of the inner rod. I'll get it cleaned up this weekend and see what the local places have to spray it with.
7804374748_8f1d8fd132_n.jpg

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
When installing them just cover them in copper slip, and reapply when it your under the car. We do this at the dealer it makes for easly allignments 6+ years down the road.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Dam and I bought some off ebay from a vendor since getting my hands on some genuine parts locally in australia proven it self to be very difficult.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
If you want long term feedback, your oem ones that you're replacing have lasted 20-26 years. I'll replace mine with OEM and feel good about it for the next 20 years.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
wish there was a way to protect the threads so they don't rust when it comes time for an alignement. I had to cut my old ones off. Maybe a boot or something?

veedubin

Official SM Decals
supra1008;1867732 said:
wish there was a way to protect the threads so they don't rust when it comes time for an alignement. I had to cut my old ones off. Maybe a boot or something?

Anti-seize? Cheap, effective, and designed for just this task. I try to use it on any suspension bolt I assemble.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2