aftermarket gauges in gauge cluster

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
So I've been on the fence about this idea for while, but since the Supra's almost done, I figured why not ask it now? There's going to be a few questions, so bare with me.

So I'm thinking about going with ProSport's 60MM Peak/Warning gauges in my gauge cluster. Would that be a good idea?

Reason why I ask is because the gauges have the button to set the warning level and to show what you peaked at and since I'm assuming the gauges will sit comfortably in the cluster, that they'll probably be behind the plexiglass(?) overlay therefore making it a little difficult to get to the button.

Has anyone ever plugged up their stock gauges with aftermarket peak/hold/warning gauges before? If so, how'd you solve the button issue?

Has anyone drilled a hole into the cluster cover using a drill bit? A friend of mine told me they shatter easily, but he used a hole saw rather than a drill bit. My idea is to add an extension to the buttons and drill a hole where the buttons would come out from kinda like we do for the trip odometer.

Would it be wise to get the water temp and the oil pressure as peak/hold/warning gauges? What other gauges would be better off as peak/hold/warning guages?

Thoughts, comments, questions, and/or answers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I would highly recommend NOT using prosports.

Nothing bad against their gauges, but I put four Defi BF series in my cluster and its a bitch to see the gauge position with the targa off. Even with a little sunlight on the gauge cluster with a hard top or targa on. If you have sunglasses on? forget 'bout it.

If I could go back and re do things I'd get a gauge that didn't have tinted lens. Something like an autometer or... shit I don't know. Something that's not tinted :)

(Trying to put a hole in the plastic cover with a hole saw is not the best idea. A single drill bit at high speeds should do the trick) Has to be fast though, if you go to slow it'll crack the plastic.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Hmmm i don't remember what thread I saw it on, but within the past few days someone posted a picture of their dash with prosport peak/warning gauges installed (was it the guy who got the new suede interior done recently?) and he drilled a hole in the gauge cover and inserted grommets, it looked really clean!

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I still havent put mine back together, but I would like to see how you guys are doing the backs of the gauge clusters... Like, the green sheet...

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Jaguar_5;1060439 said:
Hmmm i don't remember what thread I saw it on, but within the past few days someone posted a picture of their dash with prosport peak/warning gauges installed (was it the guy who got the new suede interior done recently?) and he drilled a hole in the gauge cover and inserting grommets, it looked really clean!
Might have been mine:
p1060528_1.jpg

They're 60mm premiums, bezels painted black. I think I got the grommets at home depot or autozone. I may eventually replace them with the same kind of grommet around the trip reset. Can't comment on glare with the top off or anything yet as I haven't driven the car at all since the install.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
The Dude;1060528 said:
Might have been mine:
p1060575_1.jpg

They're 60mm premiums, bezels painted black. I think I got the grommets at home depot or autozone. I may eventually replace them with the same kind of grommet around the trip reset. Can't comment on glare with the top off or anything yet as I haven't driven the car at all since the install.

:love::love:

That's what I'm frikkin talkin about right there. :icon_bigg

do you have a write up of how you did the grommets in the plexiglass?

I'd like to see what Jaguar_5 is talking about too.

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
First thing, I bought a new plexiglass/vent piece from Toyota, my a/c vent clips were all broken off and zero scratches is a beautiful thing. I practiced alignment and drilling of the holes on my old piece. I can't remember the drill bit size(3/8"?) I used, thickness of the grommets will also factor into that. You need to go slow because 1. hot melted plastic is not fun on your skin and 2. the heat from a high rpm drill can warp the plexiglass pretty easily and turn a circle into an oval. Then just put the grommets on. They have a notch along the middle so they wrap on each side of the plastic and stay in place themselves. Really simple stuff.

Making room for the gauges is another story, a lot of trimming and trial and error fitting is needed even with the premiums shallow mounting depth. Get them mounted in the black bezel first then try to mat the the two gauge pieces together and you'll see where you'll need to begin trimming. Good luck.

P.S. Of course you'll need to get the gauges situated first before attempting the push button holes in the plexiglass.

Last edited:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
The Dude;1060528 said:
Might have been mine:
p1060689_1.jpg

Yup! You're exactly who I was talking about, very nice install :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Justin;1060107 said:
(Trying to put a hole in the plastic cover with a hole saw is not the best idea. A single drill bit at high speeds should do the trick) Has to be fast though, if you go to slow it'll crack the plastic.

It depends on how you do it

Swear, it has only been 4 years and people already forgot!!!

most of you won't remember this guy but Ernest (Ultra7m) did exactly that

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/461000-461999/461261_8_full.jpg

his car domain site

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/461261/3

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
The Dude;1060528 said:
Might have been mine:
[\img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/thedude01/Picture025.jpg[/img]

Good looking install you got there.

I need to finish installing my gauges. I went with Autometer Cobalt series and Speedhut overlays for my gauges.