After market subframes?

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Does anyone make aftermarket subframes for the mk3 ? I think jawsgear was working on some long ago? Anyone with info ?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I kinda doubt it. Maybe somewhere in a far off land someone is making one for their race car and would be able to duplicate it. Lol but if you really want that you need to pay someone to make you one or build it yourself. I've see lots of people on build threads reinforce their subframes by welding on bracing.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
A tubular subframe wouldnt be that expensive to make, parts wise, though I'd imagine getting everything placed 100% correctly would be time consuming enough that replicating it for sale might be pricey.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack;1782071 said:
I wouldn't expect it to be cheap, not by a long shot. What I would expect is that it would put the car on a rather big diet.

I looked at building a pair for mine when I had it, crunched the numbers and to get even close to the strength of the stock ones they were going to weigh around the same, very minimal weight savings so I shelved it..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1782088 said:
I looked at building a pair for mine when I had it, crunched the numbers and to get even close to the strength of the stock ones they were going to weigh around the same, very minimal weight savings so I shelved it..

And that's why you'll likely never see one unfortunately... What would be the other advantage to making one, custom suspension geometry? I can't think of anything else myself.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
if it was even possible, it would be nice to maintain the stock geometry while lowering the car, or maybe modify the stock geometry exactly how you want for your application.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
yeah beech has it covered for adjustments in suspension. I was looking for weight savings but IJ makes great point if it is going to weigh the same has to keep its strength.

Does anyone know of a manual rack that will work on the mk3?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Tireburner;1782809 said:
yeah beech has it covered for adjustments in suspension. I was looking for weight savings but IJ makes great point if it is going to weigh the same has to keep its strength.
Even considering weight savings (of which I'm a huge fan in general), there are better places to replace parts. At least the subframe sits nice and low. Now if the targa panel weighed 230lbs, THAT would be a good item to consider replacing. ;)