Admin Attention

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Pretty certain that's on purpose.

We are hosted by a member, so this is only one site on his box. Any mistypes in the URL will take you to some other place on his box, and it's his right to set up that place any way he wants to.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Heh.

I own the server. This is an Apache 2.0 box running with 'named based virtual hosting'.

I've got many many sites running on one of the boxes IP's. (I've actually got multiple IP's, but I've never found Supramania needed a dedicated one - I tend to save those for business related stuff...)

Anyway, the way name based vhosting works is that when you type in a URL, like http://www.supramania.com, Apache parses it and says "do I know where this is on my filesystem?" - if it does, it sends you there. If it doesn't it sends you to the default webpage on the server, which I happen to have loading a snippet from Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged".

(As a side note I feel that the text on that page contains more truth than you are likely to find in as many words elsewhere, I suggest giving it a read if you haven't.)

Sometimes you have to put up with stuff like this when you get your hosting donated by an evil capitalist bastard... :p :biglaugh:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Just googled it, and remembered the ServerAlias directive (used within a <VirtualHost [..]> section), can allow wildcards.

Example:
Code:
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName supramania.com
ServerAlias supramania.com *.supramania.com
DocumentRoot /www/public_html/
</VirtualHost>

See. :)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Jeff Lange said:
Just googled it, and remembered the ServerAlias directive (used within a <VirtualHost [..]> section), can allow wildcards.

Example:
Code:
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName supramania.com
[B]ServerAlias supramania.com *.supramania.com[/B]
DocumentRoot /www/public_html/
</VirtualHost>

See. :)

that is what is probably exactly in SMs apache config file.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Heh...

Sorry you guys wasted time researching that, I already knew about those directives. I generally don't use them, for several reasons that are too long to go into here.

If it really wads everyone's panties up that much, I'll put them in....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i've come across that before, just never said anything. it's definately an interesting read. :)

-shaeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Supracentral said:
Heh...

Sorry you guys wasted time researching that, I already knew about those directives. I generally don't use them, for several reasons that are too long to go into here.

If it really wads everyone's panties up that much, I'll put them in....

Nah it's fine, I knew about them too, just couldn't remember them. It's a good thing I looked them up finally, because I had wanted to for a while (plus it came up in the 1st result in Google I believe).

:)