A70 Circuit Racers - Which Diff?

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
1J, was the vent blocked? (I've run mine this way before after masking to repaint but luckily it was just auto-x) I still don't see why that's happening, a lot of BMW guys run Torsens and don't have problems. The front pinion is even groved to retain oil on the bearing.

Keep in mind, that's link above is a drag failure, you don't launch on the track. I think the Torsen is just as smooth as the clutch type was, there is a little clunk when first moving due to the geared drive system but nothing noticed once underway.
Brian

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Shane001;1020306 said:
Nope mine made the front pinion bearings in each Diff square/noisy.
(never ran them to total failure)

prsrcokr;1020334 said:
1J, was the vent blocked? (I've run mine this way before after masking to repaint but luckily it was just auto-x) I still don't see why that's happening, a lot of BMW guys run Torsens and don't have problems. The front pinion is even groved to retain oil on the bearing.

Keep in mind, that's link above is a drag failure, you don't launch on the track. I think the Torsen is just as smooth as the clutch type was, there is a little clunk when first moving due to the geared drive system but nothing noticed once underway.
Brian
Nope open Vents in each it's just a high shaft speed/top end acceleration thing, I was doing 150+mph pulls both times ie: cruise around 135 then accelerate to 155 and hold.

My car was running 4.10:1 in the Torsen and 4.3:1 in the Clutch Diff with a .68 5th gear in the Tremec TKO I ran at the time.

The Torsen had been rebuilt 5000 Km's before and the LSD was my original NA Diff so had 160k km's on it.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
It's just surprising to hear, I've seen the Beamers doing 140-50 with them but also read about a mk4 guy chunking his (stock is Torsen I believe) on track.
Were the ambient temps really high at the track? That's some speed for a 4.30, must be revhappy?

I've still only used stock coolers (rad. is Koyo stock relpacement metal unit) but guess it's inevitable at some point since I'm only probably a little over 300bhp.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Brian: Probably 25c early evening.

Straight road both times so the only G forces were acceleration.

Mineral Oil 1 time and Synthetic the next.

Motor was happy at 8300.

I run a cooler and pump on the 9" IRS now "just in case".

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
1J, any info on the cooler setup? The mk4 guys on SF are asking about it as they mention not seeing people running diff coolers on Supras (although it was a euro option for mk4's)
I told them about your issues.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Shane001;1020205 said:
What center were they? (torsen, factory clutch, etc)

What if I just ran a little extra oil? Reckon this would work?

I know over in your world you guys don't have "NASCAR" but one thing I see in every single NASCAR here when running the super ovals.

Diff coolers being powered by the drive shafts to the wheels.

They are needed at sustained high speeds as that is alot of friction being produced back there and a splash system just won't cut it at cooling the portion that needs to be cooled (the contact surface).

http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/ctrp_0709_keeping_youre_rear_gears_cool/index.html

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
prsrcokr;1101955 said:
1J, any info on the cooler setup? The mk4 guys on SF are asking about it as they mention not seeing people running diff coolers on Supras (although it was a euro option for mk4's)
I told them about your issues.

I run a VDO BMW gearbox pump (looks like a fuel pump) into a Seatrab cooler mounted between the Diff and fuel tank, I use a simple 85c temp switch to power it and this is screwed into the bottom of the housing and doubles as a drain plug.

Haven't done too much top end with the 9" yet but I think the drop to 3.5 will keep the speeds low enough inside and the open construction of the pinion support should prevent starvation.

The cooler in this application is a bit of IJ overkill.
(for a G series Toyota Diff it's a huge +)

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I had forgotten you weren't using Toyota stuff anymore. So it was the front pinion, not the diff assemblies themselves. I'd imagine the pinion is very similar in the mk4 and other Toyota stuff but maybe the oil setup in the casing is improved (I remember the mk3 casing being groved to supply oil to the pinion)

Thanks for the update 1J, I'll let them know where the problem occured.

Using axle shafts to drive the cooler pump, now there's an idea. I don't think that little parasitic drag would be noticed with 600 hp :)
Brian

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Brian: Seen a few things run off the axle ;)
(Alternator springs to mind for one, diff pump is another)

Yep it used to trash the front bearing so my "idea" was to tap inbetween the 2 bearings for the pump return to flood that area when hot.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
My stock 3.73lsd has a cooler on it :wiggle: I have yet to see a pic of a diff that has a cooler like mine on here.

Strange how we got them in the UK, when America has higher ambient temps.

UK LSD cooler

Last edited: