A70 Circuit Racers - Which Diff?

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Agreed, I like the taller gears as well. I've got a 3.73 that's about perfect for track. Of course the 4.10 Torsen I have was nice on the shorter tracks but it can lead to more shifting on long ones (my original engine sees shifts at 6k or less unlike yall)

Brian

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
group a supra;1110021 said:
i have a few diffs with the cooler on top ian i aint broke one yet ;)

I think you should prove it by selling me one of your cooler spout thingas and I'll test it out and get back to you :D

Ratio... lol I found out the housing I'm rebuilding with the power locker is a 4.3 :O At least i will have good acceleration ;)

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I'm Surprised so many circuit racers would want a 2 way diff. They are notoriously bad on turn in since they also lock under braking (understeer). 2 ways are usually the in thing for the "drift" crowd, not the road race guys. I would think 1.5 way would be the way to go for an aftermarket diff, although my stock G 3.73 diff works great in all but the tightest corners. I had it on the track once this summer and it performed flawlessly. It has also done its share of donuts too :)

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Yup well I can't really afford to source another set and change them atm, plue really I'm interested to see how the 4.3 goes. I've been doing mods with Mid (and not so much, low) end grunt in mind so the 4.3 should suit but I'll see when its in :p

IJ; got a few details out of the dif guy this morning about they powerlocker for the 9" when I picked it up this morning. So its name is "vari-lock" (IIRC), its got a range of cam/lob options for the axis do hicky (that I now forget the name off, the thinga that rides up the ramps and applies the force to the clutch packs), so you can adjust the locking characteristics as you like. Apparently they are rated for over 1000hp and are used in most-all the Nascars. This guy I talked to claims to be the only Australian reseller at the moment. The maker/importer (a saab company of some kind) doesn't have any bro's or website so if you what details you'll have to talk to this guy at the dif shop. I'll PM you his details so you can give him a call if your interested.

Sorry I couldn't get any more details for you, but hopefully thats enough to peak or kill your interest ;)

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
put my car around the track the other week and even with the shittiest of shit tyres on (i was there to drift), coming down the main straight (top of 4th) with big downshifts hard under brakes, with a welded up open diff, the back end was only ever so slightly stepping out