A quick question..

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So, this may be just something stupid.. and ill probably get flamed for it.. but I've been tracking down my severe lack of performace.. it was running like ass, getting terrible mileage, no power, and random MILs. I ended up replacing the engine harness and that cured the running like ass, getting terrible mileage, and the random MILs, but only helped the lack of performance. Don't get me wrong it is a helluva lot faster than with the old harness, but it still was faster all stock.

The car has a rebuilt engine with good compression, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, DM intercooler, and 57 trim CT26. And that last point is where my likely stupid question lies. With both of my factory CTs, you could clearly hear the turbo spool. Even with a factory intake and exhaust. Even more so with 3 inch turbo back and an apexi dryflow air filter. Now that I've switched to the 57 trim, there is absolutely zero turbo whistle. It also doesn't fully spool until around 3500 rpm. I was under the impression that 57s were supposed to spool around 2500-2700. I also noticed when I first got the turbo, that when you gave the impeller a good spin, that it would only rotate around 2 or 3 times, whereas my stock CT would rotate around 7-10 times or so.

It also seems like it pulls harder at 3/4 throttle rather than full throttle. But that may be me just being crazy.
I've tried searching this issue and only came up with a bunch of guys with stock diesel trucks wondering why their Turbos weren't whistling.

Any input on this would be much appreciated.. Maybe a oil coked bearing? Just too tight of clearances?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
My 57 trim comes on at 2300-2500 but I'm using almost every bolt-on. Is the waste gate still hooked up? No exhaust leaks? If the turbo doesn't spin freely, I'd say you got a problem inside the turbo.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Im still running stock boost. So I get 8 pounds at 3000-3500 lol. No exhaust leaks. I'm also not for sure if I have 8 pounds as I don't have my boost gauge hooked up yet.

No exhaust leaks and what is considered a freely spinning turbo? I'm just not sure if its tight because I'm used to a old, tired, loose tolerance turbo lol

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Oh, by the way, the 57 trim at 8 PSI feels slow to me as well. When I have everything zero'd on my EBC, boost comes on later at around 2700-3000 and feels kind of sluggish. It's when I click the high button that the fun happens, I can floor it in second gear at 1k rpms, when it gets around 1800 it starts to slowly wake up then at 2300-2500, BAM, fills the road with smoke. Turn the boost up to about 11-12 PSI.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
this might sound stupid but i think im in the same boat. factory ct26, 3" exhaust with ddp. 8 psi around 2500-2700 all the way through. afr holds at 10:1. maybe its just me but i feel like it should have more power

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
IndigoMKII;1960899 said:
Oh, by the way, the 57 trim at 8 PSI feels slow to me as well. When I have everything zero'd on my EBC, boost comes on later at around 2700-3000 and feels kind of sluggish. It's when I click the high button that the fun happens, I can floor it in second gear at 1k rpms, when it gets around 1800 it starts to slowly wake up then at 2300-2500, BAM, fills the road with smoke. Turn the boost up to about 11-12 PSI.

But see, I think there's just something knackered on this turbo. I mean, a bone stock n/a would probably give me a run for my money.. and on top of that.. I even keep traction in first gear. Even brake boosting.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
It almost sounds like you have an exhaust leak pre turbo, may want to take it off and check the gaskets, I've found that my bolts weren't all the way tight on the bottom before.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I've seafoamed it before, thought of it as a smoke test for the exhaust. No leaks. Can't hear any leaks either, but I will check again tomorrow.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Well if it helps I couldn't hear mine, I just noticed when taking the bolts off they weren't even tight. Or maybe a gasket idk
Just sound like you're having slow spool from a pre turbo exhaust leak to me. Do you have an fuel upgrades?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have a walbro 255, bypassed j tube, and cleaned 440s.

I noticed the same loose bolts when I removed my last turbo so I suppose its definitely worth looking into haha

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
7M4EVR;1961041 said:
Are you talking about the nuts that hold the turbo on? Wouldn't that be post turbo?

The ones that hold it to the downpipe yes but we're are talking about the 4 bolts that hold it to the manifold which is pre turbo.