A quick question..

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Yes, I checked the timing because of this issue.

With the stock ct it would boost fine, albeit 6 pounds and it was kind of slow. So I checked for boost leaks and found none, and the turbo was blowing oil so I replaced it with a 57 trim. Didn't fix the issue, and it seems sluggish. No turbo whistle either. I replaced the engine harness because of random MILs and terrible gas mileage, and that did fix those two issues, but its still slow and sluggish.

With good gas mileage, good compression, no boost leaks, the only thing I can think of that would do this is a bad turbo or a bad pre turbo exhaust leak. Am I correct in this thinking?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Backlash2032;1961194 said:
Yes, I checked the timing because of this issue.

With the stock ct it would boost fine, albeit 6 pounds and it was kind of slow. So I checked for boost leaks and found none, and the turbo was blowing oil so I replaced it with a 57 trim. Didn't fix the issue, and it seems sluggish. No turbo whistle either. I replaced the engine harness because of random MILs and terrible gas mileage, and that did fix those two issues, but its still slow and sluggish.

With good gas mileage, good compression, no boost leaks, the only thing I can think of that would do this is a bad turbo or a bad pre turbo exhaust leak. Am I correct in this thinking?

Well, only thing I can think of unless you have a bad valve or low compression but you already canceled that out. Or maybe your plug gap is off? Enough to run good but not have the power?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Plug gap is at .030. And wouldn't that cause spark blow out rather than just a general lack of power?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Backlash2032;1961242 said:
Plug gap is at .030. And wouldn't that cause spark blow out rather than just a general lack of power?

That's what I would think. Did you check the gasket/bolts on the exhaust side?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
BryanDyer;1961244 said:
That's what I would think. Did you check the gasket/bolts on the exhaust side?

No exhaust leaks, and bolts are tight. What I'm planning on doing is buying a rebuild kit and rebuilding one of my spare Turbos with the help of my dad and putting that on in place of the 57 trim. Plus replacing all turbo gaskets.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Checked boost pressure today.. 4.5 psi peak, dropping to ~3 psi around 4.5k rpm. No boost leaks... No pre turbo exhaust leaks. Turbo swap time!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked after seeing 4 psi of boost. But it was closed at idle and it took about 7-8 psi to open it.

With that being said, I put my old turbo back on, and performance is restored.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So, to expound on this a little more. I believe all this turbo needs are new bearings. It is a lot tighter than my factory turbo, and comes to an abrupt halt when you give it a good spin. It also will stop spinning at idle, and even giving it a flick with the engine running will only result in maybe a revolution before it stops spinning again.

I have to say though. A 57 trim at 4 psi makes me want a 57 trim at 12 psi lol. I will probably look into putting new bearings in this turbo.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Backlash2032;1962546 said:
So, to expound on this a little more. I believe all this turbo needs are new bearings. It is a lot tighter than my factory turbo, and comes to an abrupt halt when you give it a good spin. It also will stop spinning at idle, and even giving it a flick with the engine running will only result in maybe a revolution before it stops spinning again.

I have to say though. A 57 trim at 4 psi makes me want a 57 trim at 12 psi lol. I will probably look into putting new bearings in this turbo.

Glad to hear you found the problem! Easy fix too.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
BryanDyer;1962618 said:
Glad to hear you found the problem! Easy fix too.

Hopefully I will be able to get some money off the person I bought it off of, seeing as it was in this shape when I first bought it. Doubtful, as its been months, but oh well.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Join the Toyota Supra MK3 Appreciation club. Really friendly people and super quick response. One of the guys on there rebuilds 57 trims, well known for it. Can't remember off the top of my head but if you join and post status someone will know and you'd be able to get a rebuild real soon:). His turbos are known to be reliable.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
7M4EVR;1960856 said:
Do you still have your stock turbo? Could always try throwing that on.

Could have saved u a week of finagling if u just did this then lol. But I do still wonder if you just put some damn boost through that 57 trim if it would open up for you. I bet u just need to blow the cobbwebs outta that thing.

Turbos are like vaginas...the more you beat on them, the looser they get. Just be careful, too loose and you have to replace them...turbos don't do kegels man.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
7M4EVR;1962634 said:
Could have saved u a week of finagling if u just did this then lol. But I do still wonder if you just put some damn boost through that 57 trim if it would open up for you. I bet u just need to blow the cobbwebs outta that thing.

Turbos are like vaginas...the more you beat on them, the looser they get. Just be careful, too loose and you have to replace them...turbos don't do kegels man.

No. Wheel gap is like a vagina, the more fingers you can fit, the worse!
Hahahaha

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
BryanDyer;1962629 said:
Join the Toyota Supra MK3 Appreciation club. Really friendly people and super quick response. One of the guys on there rebuilds 57 trims, well known for it. Can't remember off the top of my head but if you join and post status someone will know and you'd be able to get a rebuild real soon:). His turbos are known to be reliable.

Someone pmd me about a turbo shop near me that does good work, ill probably check them out. But ill totally join that page!

7M4EVR, you know my schedule, I haven't been finangling for the past week. Just been driving it lol