A/C Retrofit

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Hey guys.. So I had a tech today at work recharge my A/C. He evacuated all the R12 out of the system, then vacuum tested it and recharged it with R134. I thought you were supposed to replace the dryer when doing a retro fit. Is this going to hurt anything or cause any complications?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The dryer/receiver should be changed almost anytime you open the system up.

First, it's many years old and probably has captured/filtered all that it could... Second, once you open the system up (and leave open long enough), it captures moisture from the air. Third, especially if U R changing refrigerant/oil types, it's a must that you replace and not mix the oils ('cept for what may already still be left in compressor (after you've drained/refilled with PAG).

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
The system was not opened up nor was it working when I did the retrofit (why would I if my a/c still worked?). It stopped working on me shortly after I bought the car. When he went to evacuate the system he noticed it did not have the correct fitting on it for the R134 system so I'm assuming it was still filled with R12. Its a 1992 RHD Twin Turbo Supra not that it makes much difference. I just don't want to destroy my compressor.

When he did the evacuation would that not remove the old oil and then he would have added new stuff with the r134?

He DID NOT just add R134 to the R12. The R12 was evacuated (removed) from the system before R134 was put in.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Evac only removes the refrigerant. If he knew anything about working on AC he would have put an identifier on it first to see what was in it. Evacuating doesnt remove the oil, just the refrigerant, and the R12 oil (mineral) isn't compatible with R134a. The refrigerant will circulate but the oil never will, causing bad things to happen. Also the desiccants in old receiver driers may not be compatible with R134a and may dissolve in the R134a which is also a bad thing.

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Well shit. What steps should I take to resolve this? Pull the pump off and drain out the old oil. Add new oil to the compressor. Change the dryer and o-rings. Then Recharge the system with R134?

I thought you added the oil in with the refrigerant as well?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
rockauto. If ur ac system stopped working after you got it I suspect theres a leak somewhere. I wouldve kept it r12 though

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Just adding oil would end up with an overfill of oil and reduced performance. You also obviously had a leak that needed to be fixed...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I used this thread's info when I redid all of my A/C stuff. http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...C-air-conditioner-conditioning-system-at-home.

A dryer/receiver can be had at most autoparts for around $30. I ordered mine from ACkits.com (~$18), 'cause I had ordered a bunch of other stuff from 'em.

If it were me, I'd evacuate the system, empty/refill the compressor, replace as many o-rings as can be reached (2 at firewall, 2 at the condensor, 2 at the receiver, and 2 at the compressor), replace the dryer/receiver, and recharge. Probably a few hours of work, if you are diligent.

I'd suggest going with a parallel flow condensor, but that's another ~$150 and a few more hours. It's what I did in my "Operation Chill" thread. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?94095

Good luck!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Whoa... stay R12? Didn't think that was possible...

(let me rephrase that.. not recommended and "eventually" not possible)

For the retrofit (especially if its at your work) it should be simple enough for the A/C guy to verify what he did. Just make sure it was done right and your good, if not.. start over.
I wouldn't risk anything less. Thanks for the link (above this post). I have to do a retrofit on my 88, good info.

Last edited:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Grandavi;1755592 said:
Whoa... stay R12? Didn't think that was possible...

(let me rephrase that.. not recommended and "eventually" not possible)

For the retrofit (especially if its at your work) it should be simple enough for the A/C guy to verify what he did. Just make sure it was done right and your good, if not.. start over.
I wouldn't risk anything less. Thanks for the link (above this post). I have to do a retrofit on my 88, good info.

Why not recommended? I bought my own case of 12 for $200 at my local parts store theres tons of this stuff left new old stock and recycled.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, your in the States mind you.. I haven't been able to find any in canada and not sure if they would allow it across the border.. hmm..
(off to do some studying.. lol)