88 Turbo with 55k - all stock, orig owner... thoughts?

Trackratmk1

Aug 2, 2014
Mass
Just posted my intro and now I want to see some thoughts on the car I'm considering. Drove it yesterday, and it's pretty incredible. 88 turbo, hardtop, 55k original miles. Guy doesn't know a whole lot about the car other than that it was well maintained by the dealer and a local shop... he's not really a car guy, just never drove it much. Asking price seems reasonable at $9k considering the miles... although I bought my first MKIII (non-turbo) for $4k with only 43k miles, so it seems they've been appreciating over the last 10 years.

Head gasket has not been retorqued or replaced. Oil looks clean though, no milkyness or bubbles. The only thing I noticed was that the radiator fan stayed on from the moment the car starter to the moment I shut it off. It was about 75 degrees outside, pretty cool, so figured the fan clutch may have seized because the temp gauge was below middle... can't see a reason for the cooling fan to be on full time (and it is LOUD).

Otherwise, this car looks like a museum piece. Everything works, even the power antenna, original radio, pop up headlights, power seat, boost guage, etc. Although I didn't notice any difference in feel from Auto or Sport TEMS and the car felt super squishy in both modes... opposite of what I've gotten used to in my current MINI Cooper S. The dive and squat and roll was comical having been out of these cars for a good 7 years it reshaped my perceptions of modern suspension.

I think it's a good buy, but it may not be the best DD candidate for me right now. Curious to know what everyone thinks.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[TOYOTA[SUPRA[]][]]&listingId=374363005&Log=0

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Too much for a stock 88. If it was a 92 maybe. Personally i wouldnt pay more than 4k for it.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Check out how much rust the underbody/suspension components have.
That alone will play a big part as to what its worth, though the rest of the vehicle looks great.
Sounds like the suspension is already shot & unless the headgasket was done correctly, that will probably let go too.
Don't expect to DD it and not have to throw lots of $ at it.
Its more than likely going to leave you stranded at some point.
After all its 27 years old & everything on it is beyond aged.
As hvyman said, hes asking too much for it.

Trackratmk1

Aug 2, 2014
Mass
hvyman;2019096 said:
Too much for a stock 88. If it was a 92 maybe. Personally i wouldnt pay more than 4k for it.

I see people asking $6k or even way more for cars with over 150k miles. They may not get that, but how many are left that aren't beat to hell, a decent color combo, 5-spd, hardtop... etc etc. I'd jump on it for $6k, agree that 9k is steep if for no other reason than I am still going to have to redo the head bolts.

Anyone have that same fan issue before? I KNOW it shouldn't run the whole time especially considering the relatively cool temps.

Trackratmk1

Aug 2, 2014
Mass
Piratetip;2019105 said:
Check out how much rust the underbody/suspension components have.
That alone will play a big part as to what its worth, though the rest of the vehicle looks great.

Light surface rust on parts of underbody, none on axles or visible on suspension. It's a garage queen. Not a fleck of rust in spare tire well, fenders, or rockers.

What you've said is my biggest concern. Chances are, I could blow all the money on a "mint" car, still end up needing to put $2500 into it just to bring it back up to spec or better than OE.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Underbody is good, that's a good sign.

Honestly there is no question that you WILL have to put parts on it.
Its just a question of when.
The shocks are obviously totally blown out, its not supposed to ride like a crown vic.
Chances are you are going to have too much fun pushing the engine driving it hard.
The engine won't appreciate that & something will let go.
Keep that in mind.

Trackratmk1

Aug 2, 2014
Mass
Piratetip;2019109 said:
The shocks are obviously totally blown out, its not supposed to ride like a crown vic.

Crown vic is exactly what suspension felt like. No composure, the rebound was bouncy and sloppy. It felt SO different from what I remembered, I just thought hey, that's an 80's GT car... things have changed since then. Be curious to drive another one to compare.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
It all depends on how the owner has it set up.
The suspension geometry in the Supra is very advanced even today FYI.

Mine is currently the stiffest road car I have ever driven in, basically nill body roll on corners, feel every stone, ect...
I will be moving toward a more comfortable ride in the near future & re-installing the TEMS system.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I feel the car is worth 7-8K range.

Look at what you don;t have to do.

1 Nice body just get it buffed. and at the earliest hint of rust on a molding take it off. This cause the body to rust. No paint save $3-6 k per good paint job. And trim moldings around windows are alot of money to relace. They make for a nice car also.

2 Nice interior, No retarded dash cracks, Seats look very nice , steering wheel looks good, shift knob looks good, Save $1 to 2k on interior. Or have to drive with a stupid janky interior.

3 The car is all stock. The bonus is lower amount of people ruining a car with stupid ideas.

4 Don't believe the 7M is junk myth.

5 So it probably needs a sensor for the fan? Or other minor issue. I see way worse problems on modded car every day. On the fourms.

6 So what The car needs struts. Most 20 year cars do too. Your lower ball joints are loose also. Very very minor in the whole deal.

7 All 20 plus year old cars have hoses and belts plugs, wires and fluids and filters replaced.

8 Yes you may need a head gasket in the future. If caught and done early you can just do head gasket not mls and 75 ft lbs. And have a solid engine. Really .

8 A Stock car with 10 psi is very fun to drive. Even better with a quiet 3" exhaust , Tanabe Street or HKS Turbo exhaust, Best IMO.

10 Buy a nice car to start with. Please don't buy someone else project oppps ment "problem car" They cant fix.

11 If the car is as supurb as you say I would feel good offering $7,500 but i would have another $1000 in my other pocket. These cars come up only a few times a years.

12 If the car was a 1992 it should go for $11 -14k range.

13 I hear the hate coming. Quit under valuing a true "cream puff" when they come around. People spend tons of money to get what this car starts off with. Maintain what is good and replace the normal wear items.

!4 Most important . Smile like hell when other MKIII owners comes over and say. WOW your interior is really nice or MAN I can't believe how nice all of the molding around the hatch and 1/4 windows. Still not done . Start your "cream puff' and drive where ever you want. With a smile. They could only wish for your nice firm drivers seat cushion. Once you have set in one it is like. Man I wish my seat felt this good.

!5 Don't think for a minute that this car won't require money. Just less in the long haul for a nice car. Can you buy a 1988 corvette, trans am, 3000 gt, 300 zx and spend no money on them. Of course not. They would all require something. If you can't handle the idea of getting everything current and drive car and fix things when they go bad. IE 1 thing cost money. Duh, if you wait till you have 5 broken things. That is alot more money. All Just IMO Good luck.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Completely agree super51fan.
The point I am trying to get at is that is a very poor choice for a DD.
Its going to burn a big hole in your pocket if you want to continue to keep it in good condition.
Unless of course you are the type of person that will drive on a blown suspension, though I doubt that.
Don't forget the number of bushings these have in the suspension & subframes alone.

That being said its a perfect candidate for a fun weekend/2nd/3rd fun car.
Its possible to DD it but not in the condition its in.
Or maybe I am too much of a perfectionist..

7M4EVR;2019118 said:
My fan came on all the time in my 7M supra. From start up to shut down. Is that not normal?

Nope, should only start locking up when the air coming out of the radiator is hot enough.
Should freewheel the rest of the time.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Any car costs money to maintain. Compared to other 9k cars it's probably a steal.. Plus it's actually a great car to drive.

The bad part happens when people get hit with repair bills when they can't do it themselves and don't fix the issues because "the car is not worth it".

My steering can't be aligned until I dump 2000 in parts and about 1600 in labour (front and rear). I don't do any of the work myself and it costs plenty... But no car under 9k is gonna come close to it in my opinion. But, then again I just love my mk3

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
It's a fkn beautiful car. New shocks/mounts, replace the headgasket, hoses, and seals, and fix the fan issue (probably a bad sensor) and you have a rock solid car.

$9k is what he is asking for it but that doesn't mean that's what he will have to have to let go of it. I don't blame him for shooting high. It filters out the ones who won't appreciate it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Trackratmk1;2019093 said:
Otherwise, this car looks like a museum piece.

I am not seeing any close to a museum piece. The interior is well worn for 55k, and the engine bay looks like shit. Sorry, I am not seeing $9000. It would be a great pick knowing abuse is minimal, but not at that price.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
While that looks clean, it's not perfect. It's not a museum piece. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 from the looks of it. I would never pay more than 5-6 grand for a stock pre 89.

If that was a 91 or 92 then I'd go for it. Pre 89 loses a lot of value, IMO.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
I bought my 89 white package, all original, second owner, had it since '90, 95k miles for $3500.
No rust, paint perfect, not a ding or scratch on the car. Leather interior, no fading, dash was perfect, no stains, no holes in the floor mats.
It's an auto, but still turbo model. Original headgasket holding strong with a 60-1 and supporting mods.

I wouldn't give 9k for that, but to each their own. Prices can vary from place to place, but in the end it's really what you want to pay for it. I'd say 5k would be a decent price.
There's obviously work to be done to it, and for 9k, you could get a stock twins 2jz swapped mk3 that's just as clean, that probably has almost all of the maintenance done.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Also keep in mind once you're past ~50k or so mileage doesn't mean much. If anything it can be bad. It means it hasn't been driven and many wear items are likely worn from age.

I'd buy a 200k car well maintained over a 50k garage find anyway, unless you're getting it for a steal as a non running project.