88 Turbo: The Undead

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey all! I have recently acquired an 88 turbo auto to bring back to life.

The car:
Red Pearl (3H1) Paint in good shape
128k original miles
Automatic tranny
Interior is very good other than seat rips
Currently 100% stock (that I know of)

p1429449_1.jpg

p1429449_2.jpg

p1429449_3.jpg

p1429449_4.jpg

p1429449_5.jpg

p1429449_6.jpg

p1429449_7.jpg

The dilemma:
Previous owner stopped driving it 8 years ago. Yes, 8 years ago. Reason was that the car began to overheat. (BHG anyone, haha) He said he never let it get close to the red line on the temp gauge, but who knows. The goal with the car is to restore it back to being road worthy and bring the reliable mk3 count one car higher. ;)

Since it hasn't been run is so long, what steps do you guys think must be taken?

The obvious things, to me, are draining all fluids (oil, gas, coolant, diff, tranny, power steering, brake) and checking for obvious leak spots from before. What I am unsure of is how to check if the motor is totally trashed. I've been advised by a well respected, local member to pull the pan at least and check for rust. I think that's a good idea as well as pulling valve covers.

How far should the motor be disassembled to check this stuff? Should I pull all bearings in reach? Will I be able to tell by the condition of the exposed crank and rod assembly? I don't want to start it up if I stand a chance at ruining a motor that just needs a crank polish and fresh bearings.

Last edited:

SupraCam

Jun 12, 2008
Boulder
Now that we've taken apart the top end, I think we need to replace the fuel, and see if we can start it. Then from there we can do a coolant flush and compression test, assuming it runs of course :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Cameron (cw_7mtge) and I just finished another night of small progress. I spent the most I've ever spent at a generic parts store before: 175 bucks!

Plugged in a good battery tonight and found that most the electrics seem to work. Windows roll up and down smoothly, headlights come up evenly and quickly, all lights seem to function properly.

Still waiting on a radiator in the mail along with a dozen parts from Champion Toyota and we need to track down an accordion hose.

It's getting interesting now.... :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Kai;1442542 said:
Accordion hose can still be bought from any toyota dealer - about $40.

I was quoted over $55 for it at my local dealer. It's $42 through Champion Toyota. Might just have to suck it up and order it.

emiliorescigno;1442560 said:
Are you planning on fixing this car up and selling it or keeping it for yourself?

Probably selling it in the spring, but we'll see. It was a good deal and it has potential so Cameron and I picked it up for a project to work on through the winter. Having tons of extra garage space just plain kicks ass. :) It's one of the cleanest shells I've seen so I'd love to hang on to it, but not really sure what I'd do with it, lol.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Always a better idea to get a new one, than a second hand one - after all, new rubber is supple and flexible, and wont stand as high a risk of splitting or just simply disintegrating as an old, second hand one.

The one that came off the D/D i have, was ABYSMAL. It literally crumbled away in my hands.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Kai;1442926 said:
Always a better idea to get a new one, than a second hand one - after all, new rubber is supple and flexible, and wont stand as high a risk of splitting or just simply disintegrating as an old, second hand one.

The one that came off the D/D i have, was ABYSMAL. It literally crumbled away in my hands.

Very true. And given the very small price difference between new and used, we will likely be going for a new one with the next order we need to make to Champion.

Anybody have tips on draining gas? The gauge shows just above 1/4 tank left. :(

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
suprarx7nut;1443728 said:
Very true. And given the very small price difference between new and used, we will likely be going for a new one with the next order we need to make to Champion.

Anybody have tips on draining gas? The gauge shows just above 1/4 tank left. :(

Lift the car high enough to get a 5 gal bucket under it...unscrew the huge plug in the bottom of the tank...easy as pie!

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
...You have the the whole winter, I say pull the motor and check everything, do new rings and bearings and oil pump with your hg.

Coming from someone with that same color, I will tell you that removing that purple tint and using black was the best thing I ever did!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
FullNelson;1445337 said:
...You have the the whole winter, I say pull the motor and check everything, do new rings and bearings and oil pump with your hg.

Coming from someone with that same color, I will tell you that removing that purple tint and using black was the best thing I ever did!

The tint will definitely come off. We'll probably just leave it clear though. I haven't even gotten around to tinting my main Supra's windows...

As for the rebuild, we're ready to tear into it, but we're curious to see how it runs right off the bat. The previous owner and his mechanics couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I'm definitely thinking BHG, but we were sure that was the case with the last 89 turbo I had and it turned out to be a simple coolant gasket.

Gas gets replaced tonight! :)

SupraCam

Jun 12, 2008
Boulder
Alright so last night we attempted to get the old guy started! But, with no luck. It turns over which is good, but Andy and I are thinking the fuel pump has gone out. You can definitely tell it's not turning on. Our next step is to check all the fuses and relays (duh) and then buy a new one if necessary. I'm hoping it will be up and running soon!

spinyard

always lurking..
Nov 1, 2009
Ottawa
SupraCam;1445732 said:
Alright so last night we attempted to get the old guy started! But, with no luck. It turns over which is good, but Andy and I are thinking the fuel pump has gone out. You can definitely tell it's not turning on. Our next step is to check all the fuses and relays (duh) and then buy a new one if necessary. I'm hoping it will be up and running soon!

why don't you jump the fp a b+ in the diagnostics box? I too thought my pump had gone out, because I couldn't hear it while I was cranking.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
spinyard;1445742 said:
why don't you jump the fp a b+ in the diagnostics box? I too thought my pump had gone out, because I couldn't hear it while I was cranking.

When Cam says we tried listening for the fuel pump, that's what he means. ;)

The pump is normally very audible when jumpered and ours is silent like the lambs.

A replacement is being acquired.