7MGE and TMGTE fan blade?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hvyman;1660171 said:
Fan clutch locks and anything past 3.5-4k belt squeals. You hear it. Fan always stays spinning so no over heating.

Only time you would over heat from bad fan is stop and go slow traffic or really hot weather. Once you get moving airflow is enough.

Doesn't always lock. Mine leaked enough to just freespin and not lock up leading to overheating.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
With A 10 blade on na clutch? I was just referring to that not that all clutches only lock up when they go bad.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
IJ.;1660190 said:
Green might be the Tundra clutch, ask Jeff Lange he'll know or be able to find out.

Green IS the Tundra clutch. I have one sitting on a shelf in my garage. With the Tundra clutch, the fan sits just a hair closer to the radiator; but there's no clearance issues when using one on the Supra.

Here's a pic of the Tundra, GTE, and GE fan clutches sitting side by side.

p1660245_1.jpg

You can see just how much closer each clutch puts the fan to the radiator.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
deabionni;1660245 said:
Green IS the Tundra clutch. I have one sitting on a shelf in my garage. With the Tundra clutch, the fan sits just a hair closer to the radiator; but there's no clearance issues when using one on the Supra.

p1660265_1.jpg

The parts store one is even smaller than the N/A one.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IJ.;1660181 said:
NA Clutch is Blue NOT Green

deabionni;1660245 said:

p1660323_1.jpg

That's very odd, this is the clutch off of my 86.5 NA, which appeared to be original when removed. Appears to have a green hub.
IMG_2033.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IJ.;1660324 said:
These cars are so old that unless you've had it from new it could have been changed anytime....

Every single NA I've ever seen had the Blue Clutch.

True it is just a guess that its original, but it is an Aisin and looks like the body of the clutch itself matches the NA clutch in the other pic. Just curious if certain years used different colors/why my clutch is green.

Also, look at the beveled edge (end of the fins) in OP's pic:
p1660331_1.jpg
Now look at the pic of all 3 clutch's posted above. The green Tundra clutch has a very square cut edge where the others/mine do not.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Are all the fans designed the same as the GTE? I know the fan clutch on the GTE is locked for like 30 seconds at startup, are they all like that? If not, won't the different design effect the cooling ability and fitment of each fan/clutch? While you guys are talking about stock fans, mine spins freely all the time, and i thought i heard someone say it should be locked when the motor is off. When it is on it still moves plenty of air in the engine bay, but i would like to repair it if it is broken. Sorry for threadjacking.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
jetjock;1660300 said:
The clutch and/or fan have nothing to do with your engine not reaching temperature. That's assuming it actually isn't, something you've yet to provide any real evidence of.

Im assuming its the wiring. Like i said before i changed the sensor (got it from Napa), thermostat (Oreilly's), gauge from the cluster (SM Member) & no change. Ill post a picture of the gauge & the temperature it reaches when i get out of work. I don't have a video camera.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
spikesnstuff0905;1660335 said:
... I know the fan clutch on the GTE is locked for like 30 seconds at startup...i thought i heard someone say it should be locked when the motor is off.

I wish the "lock up" thing would die. There is no mechanical connection between clutch halves that can fail. None. It's strictly a hydrodynamic coupling and due to losses can't turn the fan more than 70% of input speed even when the thermostatic valve is fully closed. It's 80% for the truck clutch. Why do you think they have cooling fins?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
^Word. Great info guys!

I have a GTE fan and clutch that I am not using if this thread inspired anyone to buy a real one.
PM me for more info

Sam