7M "Ventilation Hose"

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
IJ.;1740206 said:
Care to explain how when it has a distributor in that hole?

5ME01.jpg

thats a 4me there mr ian

but if i remmeber right.......... bean a long time since i have scene one they had vent hose I think they had one leading from the vavle cover to the block but it been so long so i am not sure i chould be wroung

franlky i have one scene 2 in my life

pooldes that flt spot was another loction for the mecanical fuel pump on the 3m

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Poodles;1740202 said:
Thought at high RPM the head gets a LOT of flow of oil? 5M has the same vent hose BTW...

IIRC I've recently read that 4m have lot off flow in the heads, and that fresh oil can be suck by the PCV system. On solution is to put a buffer can in PCV line with a drain from that to the crankcase. Another solution is to switch the heads cover (oil filling cap on the right side of the car).

It's maybe why there is such an hose on earlier engines.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
stevenr816;1740131 said:
Is this needed? I honestly don't see a use for it. I see plenty of oil passages going threw the head. I have -8 AN PVC lines.

You don't see a need to reduce sludge from the crankcase? That system doubled the life of the engine when it came out. 100,000 became the norm for engine life like it was no big deal. Rethink your position. The system evolved from a road draft tube to rerouting to the intake manifold for pollution reasons.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

IJ.;1740228 said:
It's an 80>82 5M, didn't go to twin cam till 82>86.

4M was 72>80.

We (Yanks) went from the 4ME to the 5MGE, I think. We also didn't have the 6M.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
stevenr816;1740368 said:
Talked to rich. Instead of plugging everything I'm gonna cap the cover and put a filter on the block just in case there's any pressure

Effectively removing the PCV system...

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Poodles;1740375 said:
Effectively removing the PCV system...
How?
So your saying i should cap both and just run The vents on the valve covers?
More info would be nice instead of alittle bate

Nick M;1740369 said:
You don't see a need to reduce sludge from the crankcase? That system doubled the life of the engine when it came out. 100,000 became the norm for engine life like it was no big deal. Rethink your position. The system evolved from a road draft tube to rerouting to the intake manifold for pollution reasons.
Its a drag car and weekend cruiser so there will be hardly any miles. It is just super hard to run -12 AN on the vent hose on top of -12 on the fuel rail.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That hose (12263) puzzled me as well. I couldn't see a use for it other than to maybe push the altenator into the fan.. it just didnt make sense. Plus.. its a PITA because mine was leaking a bit of oil and was ugly.

I am redoing my 7MGE right now and will be doing the 7MGTE next year. I just want to confirm.. I am a "thumbs-up" on deleting this hose right? (would make the engine a tiny bit easier to work on.. lol)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is a way to make it all nice and pretty.

Could also just use a smaller hose than deleting it. Smaller hose might make it fit in there easier.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
stevenr816;1740407 said:
Its a drag car and weekend cruiser so there will be hardly any miles. It is just super hard to run -12 AN on the vent hose on top of -12 on the fuel rail.

Dedicated drag cars often use a crankcase vacuum. To lower pressure against rotation of the crank. There is no reason not to vent the crankcase.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick M;1740519 said:
Dedicated drag cars often use a crankcase vacuum. To lower pressure against rotation of the crank. There is no reason not to vent the crankcase.

Or a Header Evac system, no PVC at all is going to result in massive blowby effects followed by it pushing the Dipstick out then the front and rear main seals...

Those STUPID Cam cover filters Oil soak in hours then become so restrictive they barely flow air through them and spit oil over the engine bay..

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
IJ & Nick - I'm running -8 on both covers to a catch can, then going to a pan evac. Do you think this is enough? what should I do with the vent hose, block it, throw a filter on the block, or find a way to route it.