7m revs up then stalls out

Tyler Chalue

Aug 21, 2013
Dudley, MA
T and e is the one to check codes right? My cover popped off somewhere at some point.. And no I just did a quick check to see if they were lines up with the marks ill be checking with the light tomorrow tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Tyler Chalue;1962195 said:
T and e is the one to check codes right? My cover popped off somewhere at some point.. And no I just did a quick check to see if they were lines up with the marks ill be checking with the light tomorrow tho

Ok, when the crank pulley is at 0 the marks on the cam gears should line up with TDC. T and E are for checking codes but you also short them out when checking/setting timing. Even though your crank pulley and cam gears line up doesn't mean the timing is correct. DO NOT LINE THE PULLY UP TO 10* WITH THE CAM GEARS AT TDC.
To check timing, you need a timing light and to short out t and e while the car is running, if the timing is off, loosen the bolt for the CPS and adjust accordingly.

Tyler Chalue

Aug 21, 2013
Dudley, MA
Ok so timing is ok, swapped out the afm still nothing.. But if I unplug the afm and when I rev it It should go to the 3 or 4 k rev limit right? It does not do this but rather just bog out. if I unplug both the tps and afm and keep holding it to the floor it'll bog down and then start to climb but stumbling up to speed very slowly any ideas on what I should be checking?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Tyler Chalue;1962402 said:
Haven't gotten around to it I've been doing little by little each night. Ill check it tomorrow And read up on how to now I suppose

Might wanna do that. Can't think of anything else to check at the moment. Have you done a compression test/leak down test? You aren't burning oil or coolant are you?

Tyler Chalue

Aug 21, 2013
Dudley, MA
No coolant or oil at all, ill do a compression test tomorrow also. If the afm is plugged in it'll rev up just fine but then it'll just die on me, it won't kill the motor but it comes pretty darn close.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Tyler Chalue;1962405 said:
No coolant or oil at all, ill do a compression test tomorrow also. If the afm is plugged in it'll rev up just fine but then it'll just die on me, it won't kill the motor but it comes pretty darn close.

It should do that. Just like starting the car without the afm, it makes the revs go up and down up and down then about 7 seconds later the car shuts off.
Also is the bogging out rpm related or throttle position related.

Tyler Chalue

Aug 21, 2013
Dudley, MA
I'm not really sure what you mean by tps related but it will idle fine at about 1k where I have it set at but when I rev it to about 3-4k it's just cuts out to about idle if I let off itll almost die and fluctuate like you just said but it will stabilize and continue to idle but if I keep it pinned it will rev up to that 3-4k where it cuts out it will go down to idle speed then back up over and over again..

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Tyler Chalue;1962411 said:
I'm not really sure what you mean by tps related but it will idle fine at about 1k where I have it set at but when I rev it to about 3-4k it's just cuts out to about idle if I let off itll almost die and fluctuate like you just said but it will stabilize and continue to idle but if I keep it pinned it will rev up to that 3-4k where it cuts out it will go down to idle speed then back up over and over again..

First, I asked if it was rpm related not tps. Second you shouldn't be setting your own idle, like 3p says, the ECU does that for you using the iscv. The idle adjustment screw comes set from the factory and isn't supposed to be touched. Unless your timing is off or some other mechanical issue, you should be at 650 rpms for the GTE and 700 for the GE.

So, how exactly did you set your idle? Youre almost 400 rpms to high.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
3p141592654;1962465 said:
You don't "set the idle". The ECU takes care of it using the ISCV.
Idk if im the only one to notice this, but is your name 3p141592654 as in 3.1415926535 for pie? LOL.................................

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
implied-facepalm1.jpg

Yeah, we noticed. Why do you think everyone calls him Pi?

Tyler Chalue

Aug 21, 2013
Dudley, MA
I got the car and the guy said he had already screwed with it.. Regardless or not where it's at it stalls right out when revved at any throttle % that I hold it at. If I try to tach it out it will stall at about 4k to idle if I continue to hold it wide open it'll just keep doing that revs up then down then up again etc. if I hold the throttle steady less it will do the same but stalls out at a lower rpm.. I haven't checked fuel pressure or compression as I'm responding from school haha

Tyler Chalue

Aug 21, 2013
Dudley, MA
And I never calibrated the tps yet I just have it turned to the point where it sounded decent.. I was more concerned of why its doing what it's doing. When you said throttle position related I assumed tps my b

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
If above all doesn't work..... check your fuel filter or sock' on the fuel pick up is clogged.. You have to drop the fuel tank though... So try the other suggestions first before going towards that.