1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
Hi everyone, This is my first thread on SM! It is the build of my 7M-GE motor, I am not interested in massive HP gains... yet.... I will save that for later after I get a solid running n/a that's reliable.

So I bought my 1986.5 Supra for $650 last december with an engine that was knockin' my plan was to buy a holdover engine so I could drive, seeing as my Supra is my Daily Driver :icon_bigg. So I bought a JDM motor with around 50K on it for $800. and I have been driving it around for about 7 months now running that same motor. I just recently starting getting back into my rebuild. I'll post as many pictures as I can find on my swap but I am just going to start with the beginning stages of my N/A build.

View attachment 62480View attachment 62481View attachment 62482View attachment 62483View attachment 62484View attachment 62485View attachment 62486View attachment 62487View attachment 62488View attachment 62489

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
Beginning stages of the old motor re-build.

Just got the block out of the shop had been there for awhile developed a little surface rust had to clean it up a bit.

View attachment 62490

All taped/painted. :icon_bigg

View attachment 62491

Finished with the second coat.

View attachment 62492

Deck has yet to be milled and cylinders still need to be bored. The crank comes out of the shop tonight, and I am also going to pick up some tail light gaskets from toyota tonight so I can get my hatch to stop leaking :: angry ::

View attachment 62493

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
chrisisg77;1889959 said:
Looks good .
But may i ask why did you get a 7m instead of a gte or j series?

Haha I knew that was the first thing I would be asked :) Well mostly for reliability/maintenance reasons.. I am about to start going to college being a recent High school graduate so I want somthing that looks badass but will last at least 4 years and whats better than a mark three Supra??? Also if I had a j series or gte I would up boost and compression and it wouldn't last nearly as long haha

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1889962 said:
Haha I knew that was the first thing I would be asked :) Well mostly for reliability/maintenance reasons.. I am about to start going to college being a recent High school graduate so I want somthing that looks badass but will last at least 4 years and whats better than a mark three Supra??? Also if I had a j series or gte I would up boost and compression and it wouldn't last nearly as long haha

Good call school wise, nothing wrong with a n/a supra I remember owning a cressida and at the time to me the 7m was and would be a huge upgrade from the 5.
I own a n/a myself check out my thread if you like there should be a link below this message in my sig, also nice work and welcome to the forum

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
ryansmith;1889991 said:
Good call school wise, nothing wrong with a n/a supra I remember owning a cressida and at the time to me the 7m was and would be a huge upgrade from the 5.
I own a n/a myself check out my thread if you like there should be a link below this message in my sig, also nice work and welcome to the forum

Thanks Ryan btw your car is B-E-Autiful! I love the leather interior. Keep it up, I will surely be visiting your thread for ideas especially as far as interior goes.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1890007 said:
Thanks Ryan btw your car is B-E-Autiful! I love the leather interior. Keep it up, I will surely be visiting your thread for ideas especially as far as interior goes.

Thanks, do you have any more plans for the engine bay such as induction, alloy radiator any thing like that? In the 7mge section I have a thread on intake help check out the second to last page if your interested, shows two ways of doing it nicely. My hatch is leaking also a little bit, grr it's annoying... Post pics of your fix

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
ryansmith;1890015 said:
Thanks, do you have any more plans for the engine bay such as induction, alloy radiator any thing like that? In the 7mge section I have a thread on intake help check out the second to last page if your interested, shows two ways of doing it nicely. My hatch is leaking also a little bit, grr it's annoying... Post pics of your fix

Will do! I am planning a 3 core aluminum radiator, and haven't really pondered induction much I would LOVE something other than stock I will def. check that out! and I'm not sure but on you rebuild did you say something about ditching the A/C system, compressor, hoses and such? How did that work out for you and did you do anything else as far as weight reduction goes?

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Good idea on checking it out because it looks/sounds/works really well... Keep me updated on the alloy radiator I'm interested in doing mine sometime soon.

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
So good and bad news from the taillight replacement last night I went and picked them up from toyota just barely before closing time, I shelled out about $50 for both gaskets

View attachment 62517

got home and pulled the left light off, which was the only one leaking but I figured if I was going to do one might as well do both.. But the gasket was in pretty bad shape for being 20+ years old but was still intact, then I procceded to pull the right one off and that gasket was in better condition and still had a really good seal on it. View attachment 62518View attachment 62519View attachment 62520

But I got my gaskets out put the right one on and bolted it back in, it was sitting flush and looks great I felt good about it! But I went back to putting the other one on and..... Toyota sent me 2 right side gaskets!!! :3d_frown: So I had the throw the old one with the old shitty gasket on and on top of that I lost two of the nuts that hold the tailight in! So I really hope it doesn't rain before I can get the right gasket on.. And to make matters worse my lamp failure light is ALWAYS on and it's driving me crazy :: angry :: But I did get the crank out of the shop and it looks really good! Turned .020" (sorry no pics yet) but I can't install it until I get some bearings...

View attachment 62521