7m-gte dowel pin removal question

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
We welded old bolts onto mine and yanked them out with a slide hammer and a 3 jaw, didnt have a collet. Not the best (or advised) way to do it, but as long as you protect the block it can work.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
SUPRASTEVE;1936283 said:
Hey guys, its been a while. So, I have some time to work on the old supra motor. I got it all apart but, I can't figure out how to get the two "Dowel Pins" that are on the surface of the block off. I heard vise grips but, I didn't want to go that route. Is there any tool and if so can you someone point me the direction as to where I can acquire this tool or any methods to take the pins off without gouging the surface of the block. Machine shop is a negative.

Thanks,

-SS

Probably by now, those stubborn pins are out but I want to share how I pulled mine's off today. This is an easy step by step tutorial.

Step 1: Get a hold of grinder/cut-off wheel + a hammer + washer + pry bar & flat piece of metal (most of us have this tools handy).

Step 2: Place the washer over the pin.
CIMG0125.JPG

Step 3: Convert your pin into a "nail head" by grooving opposite sides with cut-off wheel.
CIMG0126.JPG

Step 4: Place a piece of metal under the pry bar in order to protect your block.
CIMG0127.JPG

Step 5: Hit the pry bar against the pin with a hammer to further secure coupling.

Step 6: Pull that stubborn dowel pin out.

Step 7: Look at your pin free/undamaged block.
CIMG0129.JPG
CIMG0130.JPG

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hmm,
Your block's the same color as mine.

p1955301_1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I used to use a big washer that went over the pin and a good pair of sidecutters, no damage to the block and pin free in minutes with a minimum of fuss.

Knocking them through you run the risk of splitting the block.