7M+5M+6M+M3.....Confused??? :-)

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
Hey all.
I dont care that everebody is picking on me :).
I can handle it!

First of all.
The flywheel is tested at my other engine and works very fine.
The flywheel is made of a special type of steel that is used for that kind of things.
I work at a place where we build machines , as we also are building flywheels for so please trust me.....the biggest flywheel we are making is 1400mm in diameter!!
I know what i am doing!

The dyno numbers on my other thread is with the flywheel installed.
The clutch is a tilton clutch, not one i made by my self, and it is good for 950+nm.
There is a lot of rally cars and other hard used engines that are using this type of clutch.

The piston i use for this project will give the engine a HIGHER compression ratio.
If i do the plasticine test the 7m piston dry weight is 404g
Filled with plasticine to the top the weight is 422g
Difference 18g

The 5m piston is dry 363g
Filled with plasticine 374g
Difference 11g

So between 7m std piston and my custom made 5m piston there is a difference at 7g.
And then the dome at the 5m piston as i also found the weight of.
The value for that is 4g.

So 11g is the total difference.
1g is 0.001 kg.

I also did the test with water and 1g water is 1ccm.

So With the 5m piston i raise the compression with 11ccm.

It will be about 11.2 in compression!

The guy who helps me with this , has build many other engines like this.
Not toyota but opel!
He got his own firm and he is living of building race engines.

I do things many people only are talking about, and even some things that havent been said yet :).
I know that there is a big risk when i am re-designing the original parts, but i am willing to take that risk.
I will buy some custom made pistons one day, 85mm special build for this project, but i also want the rods to, so that is close to 5000usd just for that.
So i hope this engine can be able to run until i have collected 5000usd :)

Then it would be 3.2 24V :)

Thanks for all this critical conversation, i like to hear your oppinion for this project :).

At this pics you see 2 of my 3 little helpers he he he ....

They better learn from the beginning, what it is all about ;-)

Best regards Jens Pedersen

p1432583_1.jpg

p1432583_2.jpg

p1432583_3.jpg

p1432583_4.jpg

p1432583_5.jpg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Jens,

I like the flywheel

if it is made out of steel like you said, that will take most of the weight off the outside edge which is always a good thing.

Is the flywheel stainless 316? I ahve seen those flywheels before, but usually on F1 cars as you will free up the engine to accelrate more freely but will lose momentum on up hills.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
PLAYDOH MECHANICS!!!:runaway:

Jens, your activity is GREAT! Keep it up!;)

-crisp

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Jens Lyn;1432583 said:
Hey all.
I dont care that everebody is picking on me :).
I can handle it

Thanks for all this critical conversation, i like to hear your oppinion for this project :).

At this pics you see 2 of my 3 little helpers he he he ....

They better learn from the beginning, what it is all about ;-)

Best regards Jens Pedersen

Jens,

Sometimes around here, the picking on is well deserved.

In your case I would say it is not. Looks like you're doing everything the correct way, and are putting together something that should be very impressive.

Please keep us posted. :)

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
Those bodgied up 5M pistons are going to be shocking for detonation with all those sharp edges. Given all your machining skills etc why not buy some piston blanks that are a bit closer to what you want.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
what a fantastic find!

i am jsut starting a very similar build, and thought i was the only one!!

i am a BIG 7m fan, and an even bigger fan of highly worked NA motors (never been interested in going the 1/2j route). the new goal is to build a reliable 8000rpm screamer!

i have an stripped out, 5 spd mx83 cressida that i race, however i lost oil pressure on the last lap a couple of weeks ago and killed my beloved motor (keeping in mind i built it 4 or 5 years ago and have given it hell since). #4 big end bearing was found by running a magnet through the oil and picking up a big ball of swarf.

i now have a 5m-e short block and a spare 7m head. im waiting on a 7mgte short block to arrive, once that is here i can start matching parts together and getting the machining done. motor will once again be balanced and blueprinted.

new motor is going to run 9.5mm lift and 280 duration (hopefully), superlight 225mm flyhweel, button clutch and triple 40mm dellorto carbs on a programmable ignition system, baffled sump, oil squirters & cooler. i am also aiming for the 11:1 compression bracket. will probably try and use standard pistons/rods to begin with for cost reasons as you have, and will aim for a forged 84.5mm x 85mm bottom end in the future.

what is ur final displacement? i am looking at around 2.9lt if i get 84.5mm pistons

best of luck with ur project, i will be watching very closely!

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Add one more to the list waiting for results. I personally wish I would have went with a flat top piston in my build to bump up the compression ratio just a bit, and run boost on top of it using an alcohol based fuel.

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
amichie;1432787 said:
Those bodgied up 5M pistons are going to be shocking for detonation with all those sharp edges. Given all your machining skills etc why not buy some piston blanks that are a bit closer to what you want.

I wont buy alot of things when i have alot of things that can be rebuilded, and perhaps work fine.

I am still under education so the money is low.
Thats why i just dont buy stuff......

I have to build this shit by my self :).

And if it cracks.......then i have 4 more engines standing by as spareparts :).

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
figgie;1432635 said:
Jens,

I like the flywheel

if it is made out of steel like you said, that will take most of the weight off the outside edge which is always a good thing.

Is the flywheel stainless 316? I ahve seen those flywheels before, but usually on F1 cars as you will free up the engine to accelrate more freely but will lose momentum on up hills.

No it is a kind of chrom steel.
cant remember the right describtion.
I have thought about building it in aluminium. for even lighter flyheel. :)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Jens Lyn;1433345 said:
No it is a kind of chrom steel.
cant remember the right describtion.
I have thought about building it in aluminium. for even lighter flyheel. :)
I would stick to the chromoly steel.

And here is why.
p1433420_1.jpg

p1433420_2.jpg

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
funky_monkey58;1433420 said:
I would stick to the chromoly steel.

And here is why.
[thumb]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/flywheel.jpg[/thumb][thumb]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/tranny.jpg[/thumb]

I can easily tell you what went wrong with that kind of design.
The bolt wholes for the clutch are to close to the outer diameter of the flywheel.

My flywheel is 280mm in diameter ....and the wholes for the clutch is at 200mm in diameter.

What kind of flywheel is that?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Jens Lyn;1434088 said:
Sorry sorry....

It is going to be mounted in my Celica Supra from 1984 :).

AWESOME! My '84 was my first Supra. I bought it at a little over 50k miles and sold it with almost 250k miles! STILL ran great!

...man... I sure miss that car!

Any pics of the car?

-crisp