6262 billet turbo smoking under heavy boost..

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Need some ideas on why my car is blowing lots of smoke out the tailpipe when I'm boosting heavy. I've had this problem ever since I installed my new 6262 PT billet turbo. I did take the first turbo back, and PT rebuilt it with new seals, but the car continues to smoke a lot (only under heavy boost and a little when I let off). I disconected the valve cover breather hoses from the intake and that did not help. I also put a restricter on the oil feed line and that did not help either.. The oil return line is a -10 that comes down at an angle, not perfect, but I think it should drain good enough..

I'm running out of ideas.. Think it's a bad turbo? Not good enough oil drain? PVC?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
IJ.;1542272 said:
Where is it draining to?

Same place the stock turbo drains. I'm using the HPF manifold that sits kind of low.. So the drain line comes down, than goes almost straight across to the block.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Like I said.. It's heading downhill at an angle towards the wheelwell a litte, then back acroos to the block.

Do you think a symtom of a bad turbo seals is burning oil at high boost? I thought when turbos go bad, they smoke all the time.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
big one is does it smoke like mofo in the morning (valve seals)

if not i think it's time to cheak you rings and oil control ring or to see if you over filled with oil (dip stick test) (comp test with oil)

or last but not lest is to cheak if there any oil in the inter cooler from the last bad turbo

good luck

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I have about 3000 miles on this motor. I have not done any leakdown tests since I replaced the head (after I burned up a valve). I just have doughts that the engine is bad since I never noticed any smoke when I had my GT35R on.

I haven't checked if there is any oil in the intercooler. I was kind of thinking that too. Maybe their is some oil just sitting and being blown into the engine under heavy boost.

And like I said, it only smokes when I'm into high boost for a period of time- the longer I'm on it with higher boost the more it smokes. If I boost just a little, there is no smoke at all.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Could putting too much oil in the oil pan cause this?? I'm having a lot of issues getting my dipstick seated in all the way. I could be overflowing it..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sorry my bad I'd assumed that you would have washed out the IC after the last oil episode.

It's a possibility for sure that it's polluted and at high boost there's enough airflow to pickup out of the bootom of the IC and carry it into the intake.
(pull the TB coupler you'll see it there if this is the case)

I punched a hole in a piston on the dyno many years ago and had to drive it 50Km's home like that, bugger all smoke off boost soon as it came on it would draw oil from the IC into the engine.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
If there is no oil on the trottle body coupler.. does that mean there would be no oil in the intercooler or pipes.. I never had this problem before..

Now that I think about it, I did have the upper intercooler pipe off not long ago after it already had this problem and I saw no oil residue. Maybe I should pull off the coupler at the inlet pipe of the intercooler??

Thanks for all the advise..

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

My previouse turbo (GT35R) was not bad, when I opulled it off, so I assumed it did not leak oil into the pipes.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The TB coupler is the easy one to get to and as I said if the IC is fullOoil you'll see it up at the TB.

I don't see how anything the car has done before having any relevence with what's a new problem....

Once you rule out the obvious things it narrows down the list of suspects.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I will double check the throttle body coupler tomorrow, but I did not notice it last time it was removed. Hopefully I find something..