5 years in the making 2JZ GE-T START-UP VID @ POST 34

veedubin

Official SM Decals
So I am finally starting a build thread..... I finally think I am doing something worthy of one now :biglaugh:

And to follow the crowd with the build thread layout, I'll start with my back story (que Dr. Doofenshmirtz flashback)

It all started when I was in the middle of by Volkswagen obsession (hence "veedubin") I was working on my 3rd full blown build of a MKII Jetta when things went south. As with my other built VW's this one ended in a wreck. Only problem was this one was wrecked by just pulling it out of the shop (being pulled by an F150, the driver in the jetta turned the steering wheel and ran into a Ford Tuarus) So I had made up my mind, building VW's was not a legitimate venture for me. The cool thing was that happened right around tax time :naughty: So I started scouring the newspapers and back alleys in search of my next car. I had always wanted a Supra, but always thought they were out of my price range.
I stumbled upon a black 87T 5spd in the local paper. Price was listed at $1200, so I called. The current owner was car-illiterate to say the least, and the Supra showed that very well. I myself was Supra illeterate and went nuts over it right away. So without much hesitation I went home and started talking (negotiating) with my wife. After a couple of days went by, I was driving to go pick up my new 87T :icon_bigg

I picked it up in February, and the roads were still covered with patches of snow, ice, salt, and the likes. That was great considering the back tires on the Supra were bald... After sliding sideways through the gas station parking lot, I finally figured out how to adjust the seat in the car and was able to drive it like the dorky white guy I am (seat sitting in the upright position, no gangsta lean for me... lol)

So got it home and started pulling down the little alley behind my house so that I could park it in the driveway. I hit the brakes and the back end locked up and started sliding. I ended up in a snowbank in my driveway. After a while of trying to free the car, I got fed up and mashed the gas in reverse. That lasted about 15 seconds until the temp gauge went full hot..... Yup BHG on day one LOL. Wastegate hose from turbo had split and yea, it was over from there.

So another $600 later and 3 days of the car tying up a lift at work, it was back on the road and running. :icon_bigg

To wrap this story up in a nutshell, me and the Supra didn't get off to a good start. My wife really wasn't happy with the events either.
As a funny side story, my wife never saw the car until I brought it home. Her first words "you said you were buying a japanese sports car! The hood on that thing is as big as my Taurus!!" Still get a laugh about that every now and then.

So after driving the car for a few months started hearing a knock in the bottom end.... yup RK. pulled the bottom end apart, mic'd everything, new bearings, and some other maintenance things. went to start it up and it sounded great.... for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, we all heard a mild "crack" then it sounded like a rod went through the block....

So yanked the subframe again and dropped the pan. Turned out that one of the bolts for the rod cap actually broke! and inturn caused the other to bend and distort, and yea, no more motor...

Car sat in my backyard while I was lazily putting a new 7M back together. Due to finances and time and all the fun stuff of life, that motor never got finished. The car sat for almost 3 years un-touched. The time came up that we needed a second car on the road and it was decided it was cheapr to get a new motor for the Supra than it was to buy another car.

Picked up a JDM 7MGTE and did that swap in my backyard in the middle of December 2009. Nothing more than a ceramic heater and an easy up 10'x10' canopy. (I'm currently repairing my repairs that were made during that swap :nono: )

That motor ran great until may of 2011. During an "accident avoidance" manuever, ie whipping the back end out to avoid an idiot that blew a stop sign, the #3 rod bearing decided it didn't like the position it was in and went for a spin.

Pulled the pan and assesed the damage, slapped a new set of bearings in knowing it wasn't going to hold together for long. Sure enough i didn't even make it out of my driveway before it started knocking again.

Car then sat again.......
After cruising SM for a while, I started seeing the 2JZGE-T swaps.....
So I found a 2JGE in Philly for $400 - bought it and brought it to the shop (now I have a shop I can work out of, no more pup tents and space heaters lol.)
Pulled the motor apart and started to do a full rebuild, then another set back came up and was forced to halt everything. The idea of giving up on the Supra became a serious thought. So I put the FS ad up on here. Tried to sell everything toyota that I had. Couple of interested candidate, but nothing ever settled - Thank God.

About 6 weeks ago, my wife and I started talking Supra again.... (BTW if you haven't been able to tell yet, my wife is awesome. Not only does she support this stupid car, she has been known to say things like "if the factory one is broke, why not jsut get a better one" :naughty: :love: :aigo:

So that brings us up to today.... The 2J has been rebuilt and is on the stand awaiting to be transplanted. I am still missing a few little things that are being sourced as we speak.

My final goal for this build is not huge HP numbers, or a dyno queen. I'm looking for a reliable car with some extra "umph" should the need arise for it.
I am looking to put down some were around 325-350 RWHP - this should be easily obtainable on the setup I have. I am also doing this build on a very tight budget. By using parts I already have, or searching for the absolute best deals on parts I need. I have also been taking pictures of every stage of this build and especially pictures of the cool little "tricks" I've come up with, so that it may be of some use to any one else looking to do this swap. I will also be putting together a spreadsheet of all parts I have purchased, where they came from, and the cost; I may also add a colum for shipping too. This sheet will also be a help to those looking to do this.

I am missing a few pictures though as there was a gap in time between the tear down of the 2J until I started putting it back together. It's all the basic stuff anyways...

I am posting specific pictures in this thread, but the enitre album (350+ pictures and the motor isn't even in yet) can be viewed by clicking here

So for a run down on this setup:
2JZ GE-T in an 87T 5Spd
Using 7M GTE electronics
R154
Will be using the CT26 on the 2J requires a custom manifold that I am currently building. I will be using a log style maifold, to keep in the same styleing of the 7M cast mani - please don't start a huge debate over this. I have made up my mind, and the cost of doing it this way is cheaper than a T4 setup from eBay (while the T4 may be a future upgrade, I'm not doing it now)
Stock 2J TT head gasket with factory bolts.
rebuilt bottom end with factory parts, all bearings mic'd and verified.
head was cleaned, valves hand lapped and had it surfaced to ensure a good seal.
All parts of the engine were cleaned and refinished in some capacity, either cleaned and painted, or just cleaned and left as is.

The shop:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Didn't know my wife's camera had the panorama thing..... :biglaugh:

The 2J was hauled in the back of my minivan LOL After the van caught on fire a few times from a cracked exhaust manifold (rear of course) it was traded for the Passat wagon.... :naughty:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oil pan being tapped for 3/4 NPT after drilling:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finished oil drain - used 3/4 NPT bushing and a -10 JIC fitting from the local hardware store - cost about $4.00 total :biglaugh:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Tapping the oil union bolt for an oil feed line and broke the tap....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

No fear got it out and proceded to make revision one of the oil feed supply for the turbo:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

By the way, found a really inexpensive and effective way to tumble clean small parts like nuts and bolts:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Use a washer fuild jug and cut as shown. Drill a few holes in the cap to act as a strainer
Use half gallon tea jug to spray some brake parts cleaner and some Gunk brand engine degreaser (the original or gel stuff works the best)
Place small parts in jusg with solution and shake. Let sit for a few minutes and shake some more. This yeilded very good results for very cheap.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bottom end with parts going back onto it after bearing install and paint:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

More bottom end:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Cylinder head being dismantled for cleaning:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

During cleaning:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Intake mani after paint and sitting around the dusty shop for a few days:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Valve covers after paint and sitting:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Head after a lot of elbow grease:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thank you previous owner for mysteriously doing this to the PS reserviour... this was after wire wheeling the 3" of JB weld off of it...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Head back from machine shop - surfaced and throwm in their dishwasher for a while:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Started putting the rest of the engine together - some peices are just mocked on.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

1J Bell house and DM swap brackets:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

New rims :biglaugh: :love: :naughty: :
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Engine during assembly:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Taking the car to the shop to start ripping it apart:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Tucked into her new home while undergoing open heart surgery:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Ok, now on to some of the "trick" stuffs:

The 2JGE water outlet has a flat spot "boss" if you will cast into it. So it looked ideal for my autometer water temp sender...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also on the bottom of that water outlet is a hose nipple (used originally for the throttle body coolant passage) I used some 1/4" steel brake line to fabricate a tube that wraps around the back of the bolck to the other side. This will be used for coolant supply to the CT26:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also in this picture is the 2nd revision of oil supply line/sender install.
The supply line to the turbo (oil) is a -4 line using a 45 degree fitting. The block is tapped for 1/8" NPT for the factory 2J oil pressure sender. Using a 1/8" NPT to -4 JIC fitting i was able to connect the oil supply line directly to the block and wrap it up over the valve covers undet the timing cover for a clean look.
You can also see the end of the collant supply line here:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The final oil pressure setup is this:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

drilling and tapping the union bolt for 1/8" NPT used a 90 fdegree "street" elbow and a tee fitting (2 female one male 1/8" NPT) total cost for the parts $2.75

Tried many, many variations of using the factory plug wires and having the coils (stock 7MGTE) mounted at the rear ove the valve covers. Nothing worked. So I picked up a set of Accel DIY 8mm plug wires. Bought the black to stay as clean as possible.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The finished product is able to retain both timing and rear center covers

The final look of the finished wire harness engine side ( firewall side will be finished after engine gets put in.)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Decided to vinyl wrap the top timing cover - what do you guys think?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finished result up till now:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The mailman and the Fedex guy both dilivered presents yesterday:
Kinugawa CT26 softline oil kit eBay less than $30 shipped - also came with the gasket and 2 new bolts (don't use the bolts, they are way too soft)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Earls AN to metric adapter fittings for fuel system. These are a bit tricky to find, at least it was for me. They are -6 to M12 x 1.25 Earls part number 991945ERL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I have a total of three of these - One for each end of the fuel rail rail and one for the former banjo bolt junction that is attached to the D/S motor mount.
That will allow me to eliminate the factory restrictive banjo fittings. I am still waiting on my -6 line fittings to come in and will post pics of the fuel feed line when it's done. The banjo union I am referring to:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And as of now the car sits with the 7M block and head still in it, the 2J still on the stand, and me on the couch at home after badly dislocating my left knee yesterday; I watched my foot stay straight ahead and my upper leg and knee cap turned 90 degrees. As I fell down, it was popped into place again.
So I am waiting for the pain and swelling to go down so that I can get back and work on this swap...

Again, the pictures above are only a few that I have taken. I try to take pictures of every little thing and document the whole build. Click here for a link to my facebook gallery of the build (some pics are different from the photobucket gallery) or here for the photobucket gallery.

Thoughts and comments are welcome, but I am not posting this to start the JZ/M battle :3d_frown:

I will be posting more as the build goes on. you know when I can walk again...

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I demand you to keep this build going as I will add it the JZ thread I wrote, not sure if that thread was a help to you in your case.

The JZ blocks oil pressure unit are 1/8BSPT. There is a difference from NPT but a lot of people still put a 1/8NPT in there. Don't remove the fitting from the block as it could leak. I have seen this happen already.

Keep the updates coming. Good Job.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
IBoughtASupra;1812064 said:
I demand you to keep this build going as I will add it the JZ thread I wrote, not sure if that thread was a help to you in your case.

The JZ blocks oil pressure unit are 1/8BSPT. There is a difference from NPT but a lot of people still put a 1/8NPT in there. Don't remove the fitting from the block as it could leak. I have seen this happen already.

Keep the updates coming. Good Job.

Not a problem on keeping this build going - I'm getting to anxious to drive it again. LOL

As for the oil fittings, I did find out that the block was the british pipe thread.... I used some loctite paste (don't remember which one, but claimed to be super oil resistant and able to seal anything) before installing it. Also used it on the 7M pressure sender when I installed that into the tee fitting.

Also, I do apologize, I overlooked your thread completely as the title stated GTE, and that isn't me... I am looking through it now, and am realizing that there is a lot of good info even for someone doing a non-turbo JZ swap... Might want to change the thread title.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
IBoughtASupra;1812079 said:
Title will get changed when I gather my GE info. Who says I'm not updating that thread, just had Hvyman update it last night. ;)

Gotchya.... What GE info are you looking for? As you can see I have complete access to the motor if you need specs or anything like that.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No specs, those things I know. Just gathering info on wiring and info on turboing it. It's going to take a while to gather as I have class now. If you have good links on wiring, PM them and I will go through it and take what's correct. It's actually really simple to run this motor off 7M-GTE electronics.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
IBoughtASupra;1812084 said:
No specs, those things I know. Just gathering info on wiring and info on turboing it. It's going to take a while to gather as I have class now. If you have good links on wiring, PM them and I will go through it and take what's correct. It's actually really simple to run this motor off 7M-GTE electronics.

After looking through other GE-T builds, running it on 7M GTE electronics is the best way to go, as the ECU already knows how to compensate for boost. I thought of using the GE ECU, but between the extra wiring headdache, and the lack of boost support, it didn't seem like a good route for me. All the wiring info was taken from dok33's thread

veedubin

Official SM Decals
dmp316;1812555 said:
i am really thinking about getting a 2jz. Very nice build so far
Thanks!
You really should just bite the bullet and do it. The 2J is a very nice engine to work with. It is actually a little more simplified to work on than the 7M. I'm speaking of things being bolted to it, and hoses coming off of it.
I'm starting to see more and more 2J's (GE) popping up lately. Craigslist, eBay, and junkyards too. Most are around $400-$500 but I have seen a few as low as $200...

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
veedubin;1812608 said:
Thanks!
You really should just bite the bullet and do it. The 2J is a very nice engine to work with. It is actually a little more simplified to work on than the 7M. I'm speaking of things being bolted to it, and hoses coming off of it.
I'm starting to see more and more 2J's (GE) popping up lately. Craigslist, eBay, and junkyards too. Most are around $400-$500 but I have seen a few as low as $200...

yes i have been thinking of doing this really alot latey. I have seen them go for cheap on Craigslist too.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
dmp316;1812805 said:
yes i have been thinking of doing this really alot latey. I have seen them go for cheap on Craigslist too.

Yea, love Craigslist. Almost picked up a 2nd 2J right after I bought this one. But after reading the forums I didn't. VVTi full motor harness ECU and all accessories for $450. But apparently the VVTi isn't as strong internally. Called the junk yard its at to buy the coils a d he wont break it up :( oh well

Sent from my LG-P504

veedubin

Official SM Decals
So, I have absolutely no progress to report on this project. I've been pretty much house bound since dislocating my knee Saturday. I was however blessed by the UPS man today :naughty:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Small heavy box.....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

"What is he going to do with that?!"

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Well my little guy had this idea:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I on the other hand think this would be more suiting....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Will need a lot offabbing to become the finished peice, but yea, that's the gist.

:biglaugh:

While I know this isn't the acceptable way to do things around here, I'm still gunna do it! :biggrinbo

Once I can finally get up and moving around more, I'll start the fab work on this.
And to answer the inevitable question (unless everyone reads through the entire first post) This is due to no current aftermarket offering to bolt the CT26 to the side of a 2JZ GE

veedubin

Official SM Decals
So, not a huge update; things are going rather slowly due to funds and time availability.

I was however, able to get a good start on the exhaust manifold. Until i tried test fitting it on the 7M....

I tied using this as a general "guide" for mine. This mani is being sold as a Turbonetics 2JGE log mani. Didn't say for what though... Not for a MKIII.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So I made this exact manifold and all was going well until I did a test fit onto the 7M....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As it sits now, the turbo is literally resting on the manifold and the strut tower.
I have many ideas running through my head on a way to fix this issue, but I'm not acting on anything until I have the 2J in to properly test fit.

As a note, before anyone starts busting on the manifold... I do NOT have access to a band saw, a drill press or a plasma table. This was constructed with basic tooling, Hand drills, die grinder, 4 1/2" grinder with 6" razor wheels (to actually cut the pipe), a torch, and a welder.

So yea, that's where I'm at with everything.... I may, and probably will be remaking this entire manifold with a new design I'm toying with in my head.
I have also been talking with a machinist friend of mine about using his equipment to make the manifold properly.

On the electronics side of things, I thought I was done with the wiring for the car; Then I found an MAFT Pro setup, and Picked up an LC-1 with gauge

I will be attempting to get the old tired 7M out today and clean the engine bay up. Maybe even get the 2J dropped in for an initial test fit of everything.

And that's what I got folks...

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Sooooo..... Been a while since posting anything about this build. Not a whole lot got done, but I am making progress. With my new job, I'm only really able to wrench on the weekends so that really limits what I can do.

Progress made so far:
7M is sitting on a stand and listed on Craigslist as a make offer item
parts are scattered throughout the shop and strategically placed so that I am always stepping on or over something
2J is finally in on it's own free will - had to tweak my swap brackets so that things would line up properly
Still sorting wiring and various bracketry/mounting for underhood stuffs
Coil pack has been located and mounted
Put the new wheels on the passenger side of the car (now it has all 4 matching wheels lol)

Wow, as I'm thinking about it all, I really didn't get too much accomplished. I did however mock up a lot of the parts to ensure a proper fit and modified where needed.

Pics:

As it sits right now:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

"Little Man" Approved :biglaugh:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

motor in during mock up with fan and shroud installed
sm_photo_missing.jpg

By the way - that is a 7MGTE fan and clutch mounted onto a 2JZGE motor :naughty: I will get a better picture of how that happens...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And that is the factory 7M fan shroud that fits perfectley; if i had a shroud that was whole and not in 4 pieces....

Still didn't get anywhere with the exhaust manifold - that should come together by next weekend
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The obligatory 7M removal shots:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Note to MAFT guys running a 2J - the MAP sensor (GM 3 Bar) has 2 holes to mount it with. The 2JGE intake maifold has 2 M6x1.0 threaded holes on the back of it.... The sensor bolts perfectly to the manifold! It was meant to be.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Coil pack mounting:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As another thought/note - I've been messing around with an option for a throttle cable. I am going to attemp to use the factory 7M throttle cable using a custom fabbed bracket. Will update on that when I figure something out.
Also fabbed a nice-ish bracket to mount my AFPR with. Will post pictures once it's painted and installed.

And for those that like staring at pictures of builds, here is the link to my photobucket album for the build....
http://photobucket.com/suprabuild2012

So yea, that's it for now. I'll be back out in the morning to continue the never ending battle and see what I can get done.