5 Officers Terminated for beating an unconcious man

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Poodles;1325924 said:
You have MUCH more training as well and you saw it day to day.

Cops eat donuts and write tickets all day...

i have something too add in rebutal to this...i was 17 and straigght out of boot when i first set foot on iraqi soil....my first firefight and the intance i mentioned above i was 18....at that point in my life i would say i had not had alot of traing

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, I just see both sides of the coin. On one hand we're losing our rights, and on the other hand criminals have WAY too many.

He tried to run people over, sorry, he loses his rights to life, liberty and property at that point...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tbc: military bootcamp compared to police academy is a totally different world. I have friends in both and I'd say the military friends are much better at controlling themselves even in everyday life.

I know I'm the odd man out here, and I would have liked to have seen them NOT beat him, but it's perfectly understandable and he's honestly lucky to be alive as the cop that nearly got run over had every right to fire...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
They were all at least 5+ years into the job as they said "50 years of experience between them"

they weren't rookies they knew exactly what they were doing.

By your reasoning ANYONE that has put lives in danger is fair game for a beating or execution....

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
tbcmorris;1325980 said:
i have something too add in rebutal to this...i was 17 and straigght out of boot when i first set foot on iraqi soil....my first firefight and the intance i mentioned above i was 18....at that point in my life i would say i had not had alot of traing

I think that says alot about your disposition. You must have the ability to step back from a very tense situation and assess WTH just happened. Some people don't, and when put in the same position just react poorly. Maybe because they are in a position of authority and think they are untouchable.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
Poodles;1325981 said:
No, I just see both sides of the coin. On one hand we're losing our rights, and on the other hand criminals have WAY too many.

He tried to run people over, sorry, he loses his rights to life, liberty and property at that point...

In America, you should only lose your rights to life, liberty and property after a fair trial by judge or jury. Even the biggest piece of shit in the world deserves a trial. Your idea of justice helps to destroy the balance of power in government.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
kp3.jpg

deep enough yet?

or maybe

ShootFoot.jpg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, Poodles I have to disagree with you here. If these were rookies, then yes - lack of discipline would account for this. But 50+ years between these 5 guys?

I'm 100% in agreement with Ian here. It does not matter what the bad guys do - you do NOT drag yourself to their level. Otherwise, how do you tell the good guys from the bad guys?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Actually I'd say rookies would have handled it better since they'd have more recent training.

Complacency of sitting on their ass writing tickets all day and forgetting their training IMHO...

I'll still restate, they had EVERY right to shoot him after he tried to run the officer down. It's happened on many occasions. He's lucky he got out as well as he did (still wish I could find the full video).

SK: So someone is trying to kill you and you have to wait for a jury to decide if you can defend yourself? I think not.

Street racing and driving like dickheads is NOT aiming at a pedestrian or trying to run someone over. Stop with the apples and oranges arguement.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's not a hole, it's an off base comparison.

Speeding and racing is not attempting to kill someone with your car. COuld it kill someone, yes, but it lacks INTENT.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
"Actually I'd say rookies would have handled it better since they'd have more recent training."

Gotta disagree on that point. A rookie fresh out of the gate more than likely will be chomping at the bit and hopped up on adrenaline to get his first beating under his belt. Given that there was a combined experience of 50 years you might think that averages out to 10 years for each cop.They HAVE the experience,they have been in this kind of situation before.
The simple fact that the suspect WAS unconcious and posed no threat and still got a beating simply proves that he was at the end of an ass beating "just because".

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I guarantee you they haven't had a police chase where they nearly had a cop get run over in their entire career.

You're still missing the point, watch the video. There are only FOUR SECONDS between when he hit the ground and when they hit him, he's still moving a bit. Think of it this way. Think of them as refs in a sports game. We have the advantage of being able to pause and rewind and different angles, they only have what they saw so they DO make bad calls. He might have had a weapon, he might have gotten up and run away (seen crazier things happen), ect.

Also, if someone becoesm a cop to "get his first beating" then they shouldn't be a cop. New cops are usually not the hardass ones and they probably would have handled it better.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The secondary police should not have done squat. Simply cuff him and throw him in the back of a squad car. They can be rough with him while handling him, fine by me.

Poodles: While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I don't think the secondary officers should have ever kicked, punched, hit, struck or touched the guy.

First guy puts a stiff knee to the suspect's back, pulls arms back, handcuffs. End of arrest.

Instead 4 additional officers went berserk and kicked and punched an unconscious man. It was a gang beating, not a gang arrest.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Poodles;1326092 said:
New cops are usually not the hardass ones and they probably would have handled it better.

WHOA WRONG.

My family's very involved with different forms of Law Enforcement. You can always tell the rookies, precisely because they think they have to exude this 'badass' aura. The guys with 10+ years are the guys that don't go off the handle without a damn good reason, because they've been there - done that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Guess my friend was different LOL

IJ: I see your point, but even the first guy was fired.

The other issue I have with this entire sitiuation is that they tried to cover it up. The superiors knew it happened but didn't report it...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
suprarx7nut;1326104 said:
The secondary police should not have done squat. Simply cuff him and throw him in the back of a squad car. They can be rough with him while handling him, fine by me.

Poodles: While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I don't think the secondary officers should have ever kicked, punched, hit, struck or touched the guy.

First guy puts a stiff knee to the suspect's back, pulls arms back, handcuffs. End of arrest.

Instead 4 additional officers went berserk and kicked and punched an unconscious man. It was a gang beating, not a gang arrest.

tbcmorris;1326124 said:
thats my point to...a hardass approach by the first cop....ok.....5 cops taking glory shots thats just rodney king shit

I agree with poodles here that the guy is lucky to be alive. Police are taught to take a guy out if he is threatening the lives of others. They are also taught to always command control of all situations.

But, I have to agree with the two above comments. The officers failed on both of those trainings. First, why was the officer he aimed a car at not firing then????? And, once the man was out of the car and unconscious (moving or not) the first officer in failed to apprehend the suspect, instead, he tapped out to a teammate to continue trying to subdue him. I have to agree with the other side on officers 2-5.

In addition, I can see future copy cats in this criminals position try to lay motionless until a cop starts a beating, and then opening fire on officers who are scared to lose their jobs and jump in.