4th of July Eh!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
::salute::

Have a good one, friends south of 49!

(and the bunch that are freezing cold up in Alaska, too ;) )

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Diet_Coke_with_Bacon.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Happy August 2nd! (IN advance)! :biglaugh:

They say is was July 4th in 1776 announcing that the thirteen American colonies then at war with Great Britain were no longer a part of the British Empire

It should be August 2nd since that is when the Declaration was signed!

Congress did not sign the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The Declaration was first published as a printed broadside; the famous handwritten version was created after July 19, and was signed by most Congressional delegates on August 2. I could go on but I am back to work. I have always wondered why they keep it July 4th when it was clearly written that is was incorrect.

Duane

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Duane, the same reason why Christmas is celebrated on Dec25 or Thanksgiving is the third thursday of Nov, its an arbitrary but accepted date that is used more because of tradition than actual events.

And what do you care CANADIAN!? ;)

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
upgradedsupra;1069367 said:
Happy August 2nd! (IN advance)! :biglaugh:

They say is was July 4th in 1776 announcing that the thirteen American colonies then at war with Great Britain were no longer a part of the British Empire

It should be August 2nd since that is when the Declaration was signed!

Congress did not sign the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The Declaration was first published as a printed broadside; the famous handwritten version was created after July 19, and was signed by most Congressional delegates on August 2. I could go on but I am back to work. I have always wondered why they keep it July 4th when it was clearly written that is was incorrect.

Duane

Oh hush! You are just grumpy because you don't get to eat steaks, hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad, slaw, watermalon, and banana pudding today.:p

Happy 4th!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
CTsupra;1069436 said:
The wording of the Declaration of Independence was approved by congress on July 4th. So, technically, America was born on July 4th, and as such, is celebrated. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Happy August 2nd!

One of the most enduring myths about the Declaration of Independence is that it was signed by Congress on July 4, 1776, immediately after it was adopted. This myth took root in part because, when the Journals of the Continental Congress were first published, the signers of the Declaration were listed in the entry for July 4, although the signed version was actually created at a later date. A guy named Thomas McKean, was the first to correct this misconception, pointing out that some of the signers had not yet even been elected to Congress on July 4. The complete records of Congress, including the previously unprinted "Secret Journals", were published in 1821 and the story was proved to be true.
The handwritten, engrossed copy, which was probably produced by Thomson's clerk and another person named Timothy, was given the new title of "The unanimous declaration of the thirteen United States of America". Most of the delegates who signed did so on August 2, 1776. Some of the signers had to sign at a later date.

The signed, engrossed copy is now on display at the National Archives.

MKIII VIXEN;1069478 said:
Oh hush! You are just grumpy because you don't get to eat steaks, hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad, slaw, watermalon, and banana pudding today.:p

Happy 4th!

I eat that stuff everyday so today is no different....LOL Well, I hate watermelon but I do like water and I do like melons :)

Duane

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, you yanks are behind by a few days again. Canada day is July 1st, so we party up here for three days, then move south of the border for the rest of the week to continue the party.

We bring beer and bacon with us, too. How do you think we get past your customs?

chocobacon.jpg

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
Yes, true, though I'm not talking about who signed what. Congress signing the DOI has no relevance on why we celebrate on the fourth. The fact of the matter is the DOI wording was approved in it's entirety by congress on july 4th. This is why we celebrate Independence Day on july 4th.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
"On July 2, 1776, Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, signed only by Charles Thompson (the secretary of Congress) and John Hancock (the presiding officer). Two days later Congress approved the revised version and ordered it to be printed and distributed to the states and military officers. The other signatures would have to wait.

The following year, no member of Congress thought about commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence until July 3 - one day too late. So the first organized elaborate celebration of independence occurred the following day: July 4, 1777, in Philadelphia. Ships in the harbor were decked in the nation's colors. Cannons rained 13-gun salutes in honor of each state. And parades and fireworks spiced up the festivities."

But leave it to a Canadian to argue the point...Like I said its tradition that marks the date nothing else. I also believe that the celebration of Independence day is now more about what we have become as a nation than what we were 232 years ago.

I dont celebrate Canada day because Im not Canadian, I dont see why Canadians would care about how or why we celebrate the 4th.

NOW ::salute:: OR :: IJ. ::