4spd Auto-to-5spd Manual Tranny Swap

knucklebuster

Jan 17, 2010
St. Louis
Yet another project, i currently have the 4 speed automatic transmission in my 87, but im looking to swap it out for the 5 speed manual transmission. I dont know much about how to do this but then again i said the same thing 8 months ago when i bought this car. Since then i have rebuilt the motor from bottom to top. Now im looking for some help, i think im looking for the r154 transmission but im not for sure, what will need to be done for this swap? is this just a unbolt the old tranny and bolt up the new one? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well for either tranny your going to need to change the flex plate for a flywheel, clutch, brake, and gas pedal assemblies, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder,im not sure but i think you may have to change the yoke on the driveshaft, there may be more that i cant think of right now

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
That is the million dollar question, although it may be possible to do the swap in the car. ive pulled the motor so many times that its just easier that way for me. IMO buying an already 5 speed mk3 is easier than the hassle of converting. just my .02

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The motor can stay in, but that would make running the stock clutch line a pain. Driftmotion sells a full length flexible hose that would make the swap easier.

Also you can keep your original gas pedal, and you definitely need a front-half drive-shaft to coincide with what tranny your installing (all 3 trannys have different lengths and spline counts)

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
easier to install with the engine out, just takes longer cuz you have to disconnect the engine too, obviously.
with the engine inside its quicker, but more stressful, especially when you get to the top engine-to-tranny bolts. that and having to line everything up working under the car.
you'll need:
shifter
tranny
driveshaft
tranny crossmember
engine to tranny braces
flywheel
pressure plate
clutch disk
clutch fork
throw out bearing
pilot bearing
master and slave cylinders
soft and hard clutch lines (easier to just get the full length line from driftmotion)
brake and clutch pedals

you also have to bypass the neutral safety switch or make one
and you also dont need the manual ecu, the auto will work just fine.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I did my r154 swap with the motor in place and it was pretty simple. Not sure why anyone would remove the motor to do this swap. The two top transmission to motor bolts were no problem with a long extension.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
iwannadie;1615734 said:
I did my r154 swap with the motor in place and it was pretty simple. Not sure why anyone would remove the motor to do this swap. The two top transmission to motor bolts were no problem with a long extension.
See i never really had a problem so much with the trans bolts. as much as i did with just getting it to go back into the tunnel correctly. major pita. i just half pull the motor, so that its airborne and tilts back much easier. everyone has their own way that is easier for them.