3D Printed Supra Parts

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Figured I'd share some recent creations for the Supra. This will serve as a showcase for the parts and a tech discussion of their design/manufacture/assembly. If these make it into a finished, ongoing "product" I'll include links to buy them at that time. For now it's just some show 'n tell I thought some of you might be interested in. Feel free to suggest other items you think might be good for these kind of parts.

I'm using Solidworks 2015 to do all the modeling and Shapeways for printing services. Materials are generally nylon, but anything is possible. Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, etc...

First up: "Stealth Switch Panel"

This is a switch panel insert to replace the "COIN" insert to the left of the steering wheel. I know it fits for 89+, not sure about pre 89. The version pictured has holes setup for the common 0.75" x 0.50" rocker switches. I use one switch for my diagnostic circuit and the other is secret (shhhhh). The picture below shows an unpainted version. I'll update with a painted one if I can find a good paint to match the factory switches/panel.

This is the switch type I'm using: http://amzn.to/1UW2ZTc

unpainted_installed.jpg

Second part: "Headlight Washer Voltage"

Have you ever wanted to know the voltage in your headlight washer sprayer?! Me either. I have, however, wanted to start replacing the factory gauges in the cluster with aftermarket water temp, oil pressure and boost. That being said, I like the voltmeter functionality. I found miniature digital voltage displays that barely fit in the windshield washer button area to the right of the wheel. The first prototype is on its way from the printer so for now you'll just have to make due with the rendering from SolidWORKS until I can test fit the real deal. There will be a smoked piece of acrylic in front of the display so it looks nice and clean like the Climate Control display.

This is the type of display I'll be using: http://amzn.to/1WOgWst

stealth_volt_proto1_render.JPG

Future Parts:
-Gauge inserts to you fit aftermarket gauges (52mm) in the factory locations. You know what sucks more than the factory gauges? Hacked up gauge clusters. I've seen some good conversions, some poor. I want to do it better than anyone else and I think perfect fitting 3-D printed parts are the answer. Ideally there would be nearly no permanent destruction of your stock cluster. This one will be challenging.

-Boost Controller insert. My Greddy Profec B Spec 2 just hangs out in the space beneath my single DIN stereo. I'd like to mount it more professionally in the space where the factory ash tray resides.

More to come...

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
very cool.

An idea I had years ago was a switch panel to replace the flip open ashtray in the center console. I made one out of acrylic, bent into shape, turned out ok (I had mine hooked up to lock TEMS in full hard mode). A 3D printed one with openings for multiple switches/buttons could be useful. Vandal-resistant switches are pricey but nice.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
You should make interior panels for MKIV Supras. They are discontinued, and there is definitely a market for them.

Cheers.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Enraged;2076734 said:
very cool.

An idea I had years ago was a switch panel to replace the flip open ashtray in the center console. I made one out of acrylic, bent into shape, turned out ok (I had mine hooked up to lock TEMS in full hard mode). A 3D printed one with openings for multiple switches/buttons could be useful. Vandal-resistant switches are pricey but nice.

Yeah, I think that space is prime territory for a functional upgrade. The ash tray is just a rattling change drawer for me so I could do without it. My boost controller is about the right size to fill that void. The Zeitronics LCD display would also work well there.

Good suggestion, thanks.

RacerXJ220;2076739 said:
You should make interior panels for MKIV Supras. They are discontinued, and there is definitely a market for them.

Cheers.

Yeah, sure. I'd have to have some good pieces to work off though, so that's tough. Unless somebody wants to offer up some demos for me... ;)

I would love to replace some mk3 interior parts. The nylon from Shapeways that I'm using is surprisingly robust. Far stronger than I would have guessed. Parts of mine that need replacement:

-Targa Holder Covers (against rear hatch wall)
-Door Lock Bezels
-Tanneau Cover Clips
-Speaker Grill
-Door Sill Plates (this should really be a backlight aluminum piece)
-Odometer Knob (small, i know, but mine's missing and it bothers me)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
3D Printing is awesome. I REALLY want to build myself a printer and start playing. I learned Solidworks a while back because i planned on making stuff. Nice Work!

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Those stupid trim pieces behind the window. The tabs that hold the weird square bolt head are broken on one of mine and the other looks cracked and awful.

It's not something I desperately need since the paint is crap anyway, but maybe keep it on the radar.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
TurboStreetCar;2076769 said:
3D Printing is awesome. I REALLY want to build myself a printer and start playing. I learned Solidworks a while back because i planned on making stuff. Nice Work!

I've got my eye on DMLS systems. They're far from DIY territory now, but in a decade I think it'll be attainable. 3D printing went from a novelty 10 years ago to "Holy shit, I can make ANYTHING" now. The strength, even on some of the cheaper plastic materials, is amazing.

At work I printed a Titanium piece recently. Hole crap was that cool. 98% strength Ti6-4 printed to tolerances better than 0.005" in a shape I could never have had machined, even with a 6-axis CNC. Just jaw-dropping cool!

rhs;2076779 said:
Those stupid trim pieces behind the window. The tabs that hold the weird square bolt head are broken on one of mine and the other looks cracked and awful.

It's not something I desperately need since the paint is crap anyway, but maybe keep it on the radar.

Ah! I know what you mean. Mine are looking poor as well. That's something I'd like to do in carbon fiber with a metal frame underneath. I'll put it on my list of potentials. Thanks!

JimboScum

Jul 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Subscribed. It's about time someone has put some effort into developing some cool upgraded replacement parts. Since lurking this forum I've seen the activity go from busy to straight lethargic.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
suprarx7nut;2076837 said:
Ah! I know what you mean. Mine are looking poor as well. That's something I'd like to do in carbon fiber with a metal frame underneath. I'll put it on my list of potentials. Thanks!

You wouldn't even need a metal frame. A few layers of carbon would be plenty stiff. Or even one layer of carbon with fiberglass layers underneath to cut cost.

Also, out of curiosity, do you know what the strength numbers of the titanium printed piece were?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
suprarx7nut;2076837 said:
I've got my eye on DMLS systems. They're far from DIY territory now, but in a decade I think it'll be attainable. 3D printing went from a novelty 10 years ago to "Holy shit, I can make ANYTHING" now. The strength, even on some of the cheaper plastic materials, is amazing.

At work I printed a Titanium piece recently. Hole crap was that cool. 98% strength Ti6-4 printed to tolerances better than 0.005" in a shape I could never have had machined, even with a 6-axis CNC. Just jaw-dropping cool!

Is your job hiring? I could start now!

Tyler Mitchell

May 27, 2013
Santa Ana CA
suprarx7nut;2076767 said:
Yeah, I think that space is prime territory for a functional upgrade. The ash tray is just a rattling change drawer for me so I could do without it. My boost controller is about the right size to fill that void. The Zeitronics LCD display would also work well there.

Good suggestion, thanks.

Definitely interested in the stealth switch panel and Gauge inserts for sure! The center ash tray is a great idea also! Nice to see some good ideas being explored for the Mk3 still. Subscribed!::salute::

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
TurboStreetCar;2076929 said:
Is your job hiring? I could start now!

Haha, to clarify, I designed and modeled the part at work and paid a printing service to do the actual printing. That being said we did meet with a DMLS printer vendor recently and are reviewing the ROI on getting our own in house.

rhs;2076846 said:
You wouldn't even need a metal frame. A few layers of carbon would be plenty stiff. Or even one layer of carbon with fiberglass layers underneath to cut cost.

Also, out of curiosity, do you know what the strength numbers of the titanium printed piece were?

Yeah, I think it'd be easy to reinforce enough. I need to take the plunge into carbon work soon. Luckily my wife is game to try it out. She may become my carbon fiber expert. :)

JimboScum;2076839 said:
Subscribed. It's about time someone has put some effort into developing some cool upgraded replacement parts. Since lurking this forum I've seen the activity go from busy to straight lethargic.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd love to help bring a little bit of new excitement to SM. I doubt my contributions alone will do that, but hopefully i can help be a part of a resurgence. Years ago this place was hopping. Build threads all over doing GREAT stuff. Mike, JJ, Ian, jdub, other "in the know" folks involved in threads daily, etc... Now it's a bit bleak. :(

Tyler Mitchell;2076952 said:
Definitely interested in the stealth switch panel and Gauge inserts for sure! The center ash tray is a great idea also! Nice to see some good ideas being explored for the Mk3 still. Subscribed!::salute::

The switch panel is done, I'm just debating how to offer it with regards to the appearance. My black spray paint hasn't given me the OEM look I want, but it's still a nice black. Perhaps it's good enough. :shrug:

Other Updates:

-I bought all the parts for the volt switch so I'll get that finished up soon. Should be available in green, red and blue LEDs. Hopefully white, but I can't find that at the moment.

-I got my first piece in a new material: Acrylate. Very precise and VERY good finish. I can barely see the layers. It's a bump in cost, but it may be worthwhile. Pics coming up soon!

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I'm interested in a gauge mount for the ashtray. Specifically the zietronix lcd gauge. I've been debating on learning to design in solidworks so that I can take advantage of 3D printers at my university.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Slow progress recently as I have been focusing on my other vehicle related obsession, haha.

I did, however, get in some parts to build up the voltmeter. I should have pictures of a complete, installed prototype soon... within 3 weeks perhaps. I've got a big trip with the Land Cruiser at the end of July so I'm busy prototyping parts for that.

The new plastic I tried for the voltmeter is AWESOME. Very high detail and quality. It's not really noticeable that it was printed. No noticeable print lines. Very cool.

Stay tuned, though, more stuff is coming!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Voltmeter Prototype installed and functional! I'll make some changes to the fitment and get another printed, but it's looking great so far.

Stealth-Volt-Prototype-X1announce.jpg

Another part I'm working on is the Cargo Cover Holder Clips. These seem to be broken on most every mk3. My new part will have slightly less engagement on the locking tabs making it less likely to break in the future AND it will hold the cover better side to side which may help eliminate rattling on some cars. The OEM piece was not designed as well as I think it could have been. The dimensions just aren't quite right. I hope mine will fix that.

Cargo-Clip-1-Proto-X1.jpg

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Great work! Looking forward to seeing these and other parts for sale in the future.

You'll definitely have my money if you make that Profec B Spec 2 mount. ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Are the pics showing up for anyone else? From my view, the tags are just typed out. Weird. I can't edit my post either.

Here's another attempt with the full web address. Other vBulletin sites don't need that, but maybe SM does. :shrug:

[img]http://www.yotamd.com/images/Stealth-Volt-Prototype-X1announce.jpg
Cargo-Clip-1-Proto-X1.jpg