3D Printed Supra Parts

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I can think of a few parts...

The very unique white nylon retainer clips that hold the upper strip of rear hatch glass trim in place, and the similar clips on the lower rear glass trim. Both have plastic "spring" legs that snap off when the clips are aged. Almost all of mine are broken. I'm holding those trim strips on with RTV and a prayer. AFAIK these clips are discontinued and no aftermarket clips exist.

Also, the push in clips that hold the side belt trim on for 89+ cars. Can't buy them separately from Toyota and most sets of used trim are either missing them or half are broken.

I figure trim clips should be pretty easy since you don't have to worry about finish just that they're dimensionally correct.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
destrux;2089249 said:
I can think of a few parts...

The very unique white nylon retainer clips that hold the upper strip of rear hatch glass trim in place, and the similar clips on the lower rear glass trim. Both have plastic "spring" legs that snap off when the clips are aged. Almost all of mine are broken. I'm holding those trim strips on with RTV and a prayer. AFAIK these clips are discontinued and no aftermarket clips exist.

Also, the push in clips that hold the side belt trim on for 89+ cars. Can't buy them separately from Toyota and most sets of used trim are either missing them or half are broken.

I figure trim clips should be pretty easy since you don't have to worry about finish just that they're dimensionally correct.

Good idea, thanks. The clips I made for the cargo cover have been great. I'll jump on those once I get settled in my new house - another month or so.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Long overdue update:

New Development:

I'm making a modified hatch cable release bracket that connects the two halves of the hatch cable. In my two recent cars the cables have been stretched and the release either barely or didn't work. My revised block replaces the factory block with a similar form that is just a little longer. I'll offer it in two lengths to accommodate different levels of stretched cable. It should be a great drop in upgrade/fix since the cables themselves are both difficult to replace and discontinued. No pics now, but stay tuned. I have first round prototype in hand and round two coming up soon.

SVM Voltmeter: I still offer this. Have sold around 10. All feedback has been positive, but I don't hear from most buyers. I assume that's a good thing.

Cargo Clips: Haven't offered for sale yet, but I do have a couple sitting in my inventory.

Stealth Switch: Sold a few, have one in inventory. I'd like to try clear coating this. I think it'll look a little cleaner with a simple coat of clear.

ortizmedina_187

Jan 19, 2018
Antioch
This would be cool I’ve been looking for rain deflectors for my mk3 and I haven’t found any ok any type of selling platform would be cool if you could print them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
This would be cool I’ve been looking for rain deflectors for my mk3 and I haven’t found any ok any type of selling platform would be cool if you could print them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Printing would be expensive for the real parts, but that's a perfect application for printing a mold for carbon fiber!

That's the next venture I want to explore: Carbon Fiber parts made with printed molds.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Do you think you'd still make the adapters for aftermarket gauges to fit in the stock cluster?

I'd like to, but honestly it's fallen down my priority list. If there was real demand for it, I'd make it a priority. I think I could put together a kit for ~$100-150 that would offer a factory-grade placement option. I've recently been working with plastics with a far better appearance than my initial parts shown here. It's possible now to have ZERO step lines and produce a part with either a matte or glossy finish that nobody could tell was 3D printed without a microscope or macro photo lens.

My guess is there are a handful of people that would buy the kit. It would probably take 10-25 hours of development and I'd only have a ~50% margin at best so it's just tough to make that labor and financial investment right now. If there are 50 buyers I'd do it this weekend.

I also lost my test cluster in my last move, so I think I need another gauge cluster. As dumb as it sounds I can't remember if I bought another cluster to mess with. Too much going on lately...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
To chime in, I think just about every Mk3 I've ever seen is missing at least one of the door lock bezels. I believe the retaining clips on the back side fall off inside the panel or otherwise break. Was just gonna glue mine on, as there's nothing structural there, but I'd be happy to buy a set that actually work as intended.

I'd also be happy to buy a nice looking set of kick panels. The mounting tabs on mine are crap, so they don't like to stay in place. I like the back lighted LED idea, would be fun, but the only good way I can think to make it work would be to tap into the courtesy lights' wiring.

If I come up with any ideas that 3d printing would be suitable for, I'll let you know.