3D Printed Supra Parts

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;2082984 said:
Yeah, a rocker panel switch that matches the fog lamp and defroster switch.

Hmm.... I could get the shape, but matching the OEM texture of polished plastic would require molded parts or some clever overlay. I'll keep it in mind though. I do love the feel of those factory switches.

spooln6cyl

Mar 28, 2011
Auburn CA
This is cool stuff. The gauge cluster adapter is a great idea and I am soon to be in the market for adding a new boost gauge. Keep up the good work

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Enraged;2083010 said:
Have you tried printing with the new hi def plastic? http://www.shapeways.com/materials/high-definition-acrylate?li=nav

Surface finish looks nicer than the strong & flexible black, but it is more expensive.

I have! I tried a few parts. The plastic has an awesome, super fine finish, but there is a huge caveat.... One side will have the support dimples and they are very ugly and near impossible to blend in to the rest of the finish on smooth parts.

It's nice because it allows a lot of detail, but the variability in the ugliness was a no-go for me. The nylon parts they offer ("Strong and Flexible Plastic") have enough detail and resolution with better strength and more consistency in printing so I stick with that. Not to mention, it's cheaper!

woggin

Sep 26, 2016
australia
here is something i quickly fabbed up for my car, i came up with a few diff designs, nothing special or fancy, or even good...

dusted off the printer, it needs some recalibration and some tweaking,

needed some software tweaking after the first print (top in pic) and after some quick tweaking the result was better, but still needs a bit more (ran out of time to do the print itself)
2r3a4uq.jpg

(dont mind the scratches in the desk, the animals at work dont look after anything)
surface finish is ok, but need to clean, lube and recal the printer....250 micron layer height and switching filaments in situ.
Also printed a backing plate so the front and rear get glued together and it gets bolted to the car as per factory

would love to get the stl from tylerjacobsen85 from his rapid prototype of the badge
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...totyping-Front-quot-2.5-TWIN-turbo-quot-badge

just to print one for my car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very Cool woggin!

I have the MK3 text saved somewhere as a font. I think that would allow you to use it in SolidWorks and easily create those badges. Eventually I'll make one for my car with some clever name.

250 micron layers seems pretty good, but I'm not sure what typical layer height is with the shapeways stuff. When I printed some Titanium stuff it was 20 or 30 microns depending on the print settings, but the features weren't as consistent once you got down to 200 microns or so.

I think this is the future of 3D printing, but it's still up in the clouds for pricing. http://carbon3d.com/

Once that comes down to a $10k purchase price (it's currently $40k for an annual lease) I think it will destroy the rest of the commercial printers.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Have you tried the triangular piece that blocks the wind at the mirror disconnect? The ones I have found in the junkyards usually have the posts broken off.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I'm following this thread - and I'm curious if a wideband version of your voltmeter would be possible. Having AFRs displayed in exactly the same way could be really really cool! (And I'd totally buy one)

woggin

Sep 26, 2016
australia
2jaj5h2.jpg

tada, needs further refinement, and i took it to work since i ran outta time and sanded the surface flat, ive also made a few mods to the stl to do a few different prints with it!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
f00g00;2083153 said:
Have you tried the triangular piece that blocks the wind at the mirror disconnect? The ones I have found in the junkyards usually have the posts broken off.

Enraged;2083188 said:
Actually, that triangle printed with a tweeter mount integrated would be pretty sweet. Might try modeling that.

I like these ideas! I could totally make those!

emiliorescigno;2083189 said:
I'm following this thread - and I'm curious if a wideband version of your voltmeter would be possible. Having AFRs displayed in exactly the same way could be really really cool! (And I'd totally buy one)

Possible, absolutely! However, space is VERY limited in that voltmeter. to avoid any modification to the bezel and make it 100% drop in, plug and play, I'm dealing with very thin walls and an extremely tight fit. I would likely have to get a plain 7 segment display to act as a readout with the wideband brains remotely mounted. Doable, for sure, but I'd need some help with the electronics programming side of things.

If someone has that skillset, maybe we can combine powers and make a neat wideband offering... ;)

woggin;2083649 said:
2jaj5h2.jpg

tada, needs further refinement, and i took it to work since i ran outta time and sanded the surface flat, ive also made a few mods to the stl to do a few different prints with it!

Cool!

Leatherhead;2083662 said:
I would definitely be interested in the door lock bezels if you had any success with them.

Door lock bezels, absolutely! I'll put that on my short list.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
If you get those badges dialed in and are willing to do a 3.0GT or 3.0i I would definitely take one.

If you could do a custom 3.0twin turbo I'd love that as well for my future project.

woggin

Sep 26, 2016
australia
so I got some dimensions for the backing plate, printed that out, and then abs/acetone welded the 2 halves together, not overly happy because well, as you can see, it looks funky with the gloss and matte, but its been on the car for over a week, looks ok from a couple meters away, but ill be doing another print this weekend that will fix this issue.

2iij3ex.jpg

all i did was sand the text flat with some 400grit, sand the back and the front of the backing plate, and then fixed them together.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
3d printed arm rests for the doors... mine broke haha but I guess some vinyl glued over would fix it... but being harder would be a plus. complete door inset would be cool vinyl/3d print mix