350z with 2jz

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
OneJoeZee said:
:dunno:

All I said was the VQ is a great engine. :dunno: then Mr. Know-it-all got so up in arms in making me do all the work to support it even though he wasn't willing to try himself, actually follow the references I gave, or give any reasons to why it's not.

Does anyone else here really think the VQ isn't a great engine or "worthy" to be in the Z? I guess Nissan fucked up by putting that 306hp V6 in there. :dunno:

:dunno:

Hey dont feel so bad, a lot of engines manufactures use arent a good choice but that doesnt stop some people from supporting them, like Chrysler is a big one that comes to mind.:biglaugh:

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
OneJoeZee said:
I swear you are so dense. I gave you references to a site talking ALL about the VQ. Did you even read it yet?

And out of this whole thread you haven't really said anything. Haven't disproved my points about the power they make and haven't even given a reason why it's not a great engine.

I guess the 7M is only fit for family sedans too. They could have done better.

Lets take a closer look then:
Engine
VQ35HR—3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
306 hp @ 6,800 rpm
268 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
Emissions — LEV2
Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Hydraulic on intake cam
Electromagnetic on exhaust cam
Twin-intake system
Nissan Direct Ignition System
Iridium-tipped spark plugs
Electronic drive-by-wire throttle
NISMO-tuned exhaust with dual polished exhaust tips

Is this what you wanted to be shown cause if its not LMK. Now where out of these showcases anything to anyone that proves this is a "great engine"? The Horsepower numbers and torque? Those are flywheel amounts and not to the wheels. High Horsepower numbers does sell cars though....
CVTCS - Wow this sounds impressive, oh wait its the same thing as VTEC and VVTI but with Nissan's name on it.
Twin Intake system - Nothing really too say about this, intake for each of the heads
Nissan DIS - Wow it doesnt use a Distributor, thats pretty advanced.
Iridium spark plugs - Sweet im gladd they have iridium, good for them
Electronic Drive by Wire - step up from the old ways but still not the greatest, hopefully you never have problems with it though.
Nismo tuned exhaust - Wow Im glad they tuned it, for it sure does sound like ass going down the road.

There you go we went over your reference. Maybe next time you'll find something with more information that impresses the rest of us that have more of an IQ than who are only impressed by Horsepower numbers

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
OneJoeZee said:
I feel the same way about NA Supras. :)

Have you driven the new '08? I haven't. But the power increase is substantial and I bet they're not as boring to drive as the earlier year Zs.

I'm sure Nissan could have given it something with more power or turbos but they built it the way they did for a reason. It's priced in a certain class and has sold pretty damn well and although it's not as quick as most of our modded Supras are, it's not exacty slow either.

Haven't driven an '08 but I'm looking forward to seeing how they do. The Z has done EXACTLY what Nissan has set it out to do. Putting Something that resembles a sports car, and placing it with in reach of your average consumer. The car has looks, no doubt, not my particular style, but it will turn heads where ever you go. And it is fast enough to keep 85~90% of your typical civics quiet. But It's not quite what it could have been.

I get the same feeling when I go to a movie that was originally rated 'R' and then the studios dumbed it down to 'PG-13' so they could make more my by letting more people see it.

Understand, I know, from a business stand point, the Z had to be exactly what it is. It's DNA was perfect. And the car has done exactly what it was designed to do. Nissan understood the market, when Toyota did the MKIV they didn't. Toyota did what the enthusiast wanted, Nissan has done what the mass market wanted. I understand that from a business stand point appeasing the mass market is what you have to do to run a successful business, but I still have the same disdain for that as I do for the whole pop music model. Give me something that breaks the mold, give me something amazing, sets records, and make legends. Something that will have the people talking for years to come.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
OneJoeZee said:
What about the S2000? Does it have an engine only fit for a family sedan?

How about the Elise? Have an engine not fit for a sports car?

What do you want to learn about them young grasshopper. Yes I bet the engine in a S2000 would fit in a family sedan, I dunno if it would in a Honda Fit though.:biglaugh:

How about the Elise? Does it have an engine not fit for a sports car? hmmm No I probably wouldn't put one in a Corvette, nor a Ford GT, or a Ferrari, and not even a Lamborghini.

Seriously I really havent dealt with either of these 2 vehicle engines, but if you want, you can go find their spec sheet and I'll do my best to evaluate them. You can probably find their spec sheet from their respective home pages just as you did the Nissan, and from a paper side of them we will see how good they may seem.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Syris said:
Lets take a closer look then:
Engine
VQ35HR—3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
306 hp @ 6,800 rpm
268 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
Emissions — LEV2
Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Hydraulic on intake cam
Electromagnetic on exhaust cam
Twin-intake system
Nissan Direct Ignition System
Iridium-tipped spark plugs
Electronic drive-by-wire throttle
NISMO-tuned exhaust with dual polished exhaust tips

Is this what you wanted to be shown cause if its not LMK. Now where out of these showcases anything to anyone that proves this is a "great engine"? The Horsepower numbers and torque? Those are flywheel amounts and not to the wheels. High Horsepower numbers does sell cars though....
CVTCS - Wow this sounds impressive, oh wait its the same thing as VTEC and VVTI but with Nissan's name on it.
Twin Intake system - Nothing really too say about this, intake for each of the heads
Nissan DIS - Wow it doesnt use a Distributor, thats pretty advanced.
Iridium spark plugs - Sweet im gladd they have iridium, good for them
Electronic Drive by Wire - step up from the old ways but still not the greatest, hopefully you never have problems with it though.
Nismo tuned exhaust - Wow Im glad they tuned it, for it sure does sound like ass going down the road.

There you go we went over your reference. Maybe next time you'll find something with more information that impresses the rest of us that have more of an IQ than who are only impressed by Horsepower numbers
Who is we? You're the only one here being stubborn about the Z and the VQ. Nissan's overview was not the only reference I mentioned. But as usual in this thread, you only decide to acknowledge and reply to what you feel like and ignore many other things I say as I've had to repeat them over and over again.

You have still said nothing to disprove why it's a great engine or given what your standard of a great engine is. Please, I'd like to know.

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/nissan_3-5L_V-6/

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12243/2007-nissan-350z.html

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/350z/2007/review.html

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprarcr89 said:
WOW you two filled up 7 pages of this thread today pretty much by yourselves.....

Sorry your thread went this way. I just don't understand this guy and why he hates the 350Z so much he doesn't want to acknowledge its accomplishments.

It seems like if I don't write him an entire novel about the Z, he won't shut up. But I've already pointed him in the right direction where he can go read more about it and he refuses to pay attention.

I'm done. At least you and others don't have a problem admitting that the Z is a good car and so is its engine.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
OneJoeZee said:
At least you and others don't have a problem admitting that the Z is a good car and so is its engine.
The Z is not, nor has ever been a good car. Prove to me that it ever was...

Edit: Sorry...:evil2: I couldn't help myself. Kbye.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
The only comment I have to make is that the v6 6 speed maximas are fun to drive. It has a great torque curve and it will still scream to 6000+ rpms. That to me is a well designed motor. But then again, most VVT motors are like that.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
To add to this, a neighbour here has a 350z with a twin turbo kit. He was making roughly 400 rwhp when he threw a rod through the block going down the 401 one day. And he knows what hes doing. But anyway he is now building it up with forged internals, so i can't wait to see how much power he is going to make :D.
According to him (he is a DSM/3000GT guy) the VQ is 100 times superior to the 3.5 6G72 found in the 3000gt's in every sense as far as combustion chamber design, piston design etc...
Thats what you get with newer technology, and as much as i dislike v6's as well, theres no need to bring them down before you really experience what they can do.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I too was disapointed w/ the 350z. Felt like I was driving my 82 Supra, but w/ the new car smell.

I'm still curious how many hours per day are spent by SupraMania members looking up this pointless crapp on wikipedia.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
CryoSlash said:
To add to this, a neighbour here has a 350z with a twin turbo kit. He was making roughly 400 rwhp when he threw a rod through the block going down the 401 one day. And he knows what hes doing. But anyway he is now building it up with forged internals, so i can't wait to see how much power he is going to make :D.
According to him (he is a DSM/3000GT guy) the VQ is 100 times superior to the 3.5 6G72 found in the 3000gt's in every sense as far as combustion chamber design, piston design etc...
Thats what you get with newer technology, and as much as i dislike v6's as well, theres no need to bring them down before you really experience what they can do.

even the 7m will hold up to 500rwhp with metal headgasket and proper tune.. but it also was designed to be boosted where the vq wasnt...

Im sure once he gets it beefed up internaly it will hold up to alot of hp.... the only downfall to the 350z is they have no engine that was designed for boost from the factory...like we do to do a swap..