350z with 2jz

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
This is a pretty good shop from what I am told and they are comfortable with Supras. Nice thing about it is that it's only about 10 minutes from my house straight down one road. I was thinking about going to them.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
OneJoeZee said:
If I had a Z, I'd rather work with the VQ. It's a great motor.

If I wanted a 2J, I'd buy a Supra(or some other JZ equipped Toyota car).

Elaborate please as I feel the 3.5 v6 is not that great.....

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Syris said:
Elaborate please as I feel the 3.5 v6 is not that great.....

It will make more power and torque in NA form than a 2JZ-GE and can make more hp/tq with boost than a similar GTE.

The VQ has also been on Ward's top 10 since '95.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
^ you have to build the bottom end up if you want 600hp on the vq and we all know that the 2jz will hold up to more than that on the stock bottom end...

heres what the guy from the shop that is doing this project had to say about the vq.

this is from that thread and was posted from 180x the thread starter that is from that shop(xat racing) and has had experience with both engines

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech/439920-project-2jz-350z-xat-racing-5.html
180SX said:
EludeR

Let me clarify your post.

Any motor will make any amount of HP given enough $. That is a fact written in stone. How do you think ECOTEC pos cavalier motors make 1500 hp + ?
Don't compare apples to oranges.

I have built both 2J's and VQ's
The VQ motor is not a good starting point, no matter how you look at it. It is OPEN DECK !!!! This means at the very minimum, to cross 600 rwhp reliably, not only does it need pistons and rods but a block sleeve. I don't know if you checked into how much some of the built VQ guys are spending on their setups, but the last VQ motor I built for a VQ guy ended up costing him $12,000 just for a longblock with very minor headwork. The VQ market is ridiculously expensive and everyone that is in it charges tons of $$. Hell I charge $3000 just for assembly w/o parts or any machine work.
This is why one of our swaps that starts at $15K is so much more worth it.
By the time the above mentioned customer was done and tuned, he was in for about $26K total in parts / labor and services.
Yes he can make 1000 + rwhp... but I have tuned stock bottom ended 2JZ's into the 900 rwhp range a lot more than any built VQ has seen anything close of that.

GTM might have tune 3000 hp out of their motor... but the resemblance of their motor to a even well built VQ is like saying that the Infinity IRL V8 VH45s motors are similar to the ones you find in an Infinity Q45..... Sorry they are worlds apart.

Not to keep bashing you post but... the HR motors are shit. They are lemons.
Look at

For all 2006 Owners With Oil Consumption Problems - MY350Z.COM Forums

That thread is 96 pages long !!!!!!! The motors are made defectively and they eat oil.

On a lighter note...thanks for the props. The exhaust was very difficult to make.

Martin
XAT Racing

now who wants to hit 12,000 just for a built long block to hold the power a 2jz will in stock bottom end form...

but to go along with what onejoezee was saying and i agree why didnt he just buy a supra would have came out cheaper in the long run.. but we all know the 2j is getting put in more and more imports because its been proven again and again as a reliable high hp engine..

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
That's only one account though. And he's obviously going to do what he can to make the 2j swap look more appealing than bothering with the VQ because he's the one doing the swap.

Not all turbo VQs are running around with 600hp-700hp and need to be fully built either. And not everyone with a Supra is using a bone stock block even though it can be done.

I'm not saying it's better than a 2J, I'm just saying it's a great motor and it's not like the 2J swap was something that needed to be done to actually give the car potential.