300Kmh Speedometer Gauge?

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Anyone know where to get one? I saw a few pictures of them on here and I would like one for my RHD supra since it only goes to 190km/h. Anyone know where to get ahold of one? Thanks.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
A few companies make them, one of them being Blitz which is more common. I found a K's one on eBay a couple years ago and bought it for Stanzaspeed, it looks much more stock than the Blitz one.

There are also other companies out there as well, however nothing really common, and a lot of them are no longer made. Perhaps check Yahoo! Japan Auctions, etc.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
K's:
ks_speedo1.jpg

Blitz:
CIMG0567.JPG

Alternatively you could also seek out a European 280km/h speedometer, which may be cheaper/easier to find.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
YouGotSpooled;1780994 said:
I really want one of the K's ones or a European one. Can you get them new from toyota? Also, will that read correctly when installed in my cluster?

How it reads should be dependent upon how you have the gears setup, specifically the one in your transmission matches what rear diff you have. How come we never got any cool speedos for the MPH crowd? I guess we're certainly a minority in the car world, but still... Gonna have to make my own it looks like. :p

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Because by the time the Mk3 came out, the only ass backwards country in the world still using a measure system from the middle ages was the USA.

And the USA decided that they wanted to classify cars based on how fast they would go... and this somehow translates into, charge more insurance / import fees for cars with a high speedometer.

So, car manufacturers not being total idiots (as opposed to government workers who came up with the idea) everyone started putting in speedometers with lower limits... for the USA market, of course.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I'll be honest, once I'm past 240 km/h, looking at the speedo is way down on the list of things I need to be doing.....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1781061 said:
So, car manufacturers not being total idiots (as opposed to government workers who came up with the idea) everyone started putting in speedometers with lower limits... for the USA market, of course.
Hadn't thought of that, makes total sense though. I know damn well our cars don't have much trouble hitting past 160... Hell, mine did 150 with the windows DOWN, in a videogame. ;)

Typhoon;1781064 said:
I'll be honest, once I'm past 240 km/h, looking at the speedo is way down on the list of things I need to be doing.....
That's true, either way you're going to jail, right? :p

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
GrimJack;1781061 said:
Because by the time the Mk3 came out, the only ass backwards country in the world still using a measure system from the middle ages was the USA.

And the USA decided that they wanted to classify cars based on how fast they would go... and this somehow translates into, charge more insurance / import fees for cars with a high speedometer.

The UK has MPH speedometers, and they do have higher ones than the USA as well, however they would of course be RHD.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff Lange;1781324 said:
The UK has MPH speedometers, and they do have higher ones than the USA as well, however they would of course be RHD.

Jeff
Would RHD make a difference to the gauge itself though? It appears that they would fit in a LHD cluster just fine to me, but I imagine you know better than I on that one.

puerto;1781391 said:
i want one where can i get one...anybody???
Try the UK Supra Owners group? Or just lurk the FS sections on here, I see them pop up every few months or so.

GrimJack;1781385 said:
/me slaps himself in head...

Right... forgot how much the English hate the French.
Ever dealt with anyone from Quebec? It's just closer to the original source over there. ;)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
You could make it work, but the easiest way probably would be to use the UK face on a US speedo. The calibration is the same, the numbers are just printed differently. Not sure it's worth getting though, it doesn't change it much.

Jeff

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
U.K. spec have a 170 MPH speedo on a turbo mk3.
(don't know what an N/A U.K. spec mk3 has).

Euro spec have a 260 KMH on an N/A mk3.
Euro spec have a 280 KMH on a turbo mk3.

All JDM spec have a stock 180 KMH speedo cause it's Japan's limit on ALL JDM cars.
I've seen some JDM aftermarket speedos like K's or Blitz with a 300 KMH gauge,and
once I saw a very rare (don't remember brand) a 330 KMH speedo!

A stock turbo supra (with a stock 7mgte or 1jzgte) will hit around 170 MPH (265 km/h) top speed