3 knock sensors wtf?

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
When I bought my car, I had a code 52. I felt under there and noticed I was completely missing one of the sensors and plug. I THOUGHT this was the knock sensor close to the starter I was missing.

I had an extra knock sensor from my old n/a so threw that in there, I found the plug hanging around the starter area and I did the knock sensor rewire mod for safety and plugged it in.

I went under the car to make sure this was the knock sensor close to the starter that I replaced and noticed it wasnt even plugged in, I went under the hood and felt around and found THREE knock sensors, one under the alt. one in the middle ( the one I added) and one near the starter. How is this possible?

There is no good angle for me to take pictures but I can try if needed!

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I know what you are talking about, I was gonna start this thread also just out curiosity. during my rebuild i found the 3 they are all plugged with an extra plug (po had done the rewire) I am not setting any codes for them but cannot find any info about 3 knock sensors only two same with pics. I believe the tsrm even shows 2

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
89supra7mgte;1441559 said:
I know what you are talking about, I was gonna start this thread also just out curiosity. during my rebuild i found the 3 they are all plugged with an extra plug (po had done the rewire) I am not setting any codes for them but cannot find any info about 3 knock sensors only two same with pics. I believe the tsrm even shows 2

so you had all 3 plugged in? I only have 2 plugs under there and 2 transparent wires coming from my middle ecu connector

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Whats crazy is that the hole I screwed my knock sensor into is tapped the same exact way the other 2 knock sensors are tapped, as if toyota built it with 3 holes

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You're all on crack. There are only TWO knock sensors on turbo models, and only ONE on N/A's. If for some odd reason there are more than two on a turbo, or more than one on an N/A, it means that some hack who had no idea what they were doing added one in where there's an extra threaded boss on the block.

Check the ECU pinouts people, for turbo models, there are two wires, N/As there are one. :nono:

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Yeah i have 3 and know the wire color you are talking about, which on mine i believe are rewired 2 of the 3 are.

Sorry let me edit my last post i just remembered, the extra connector i have is for the egr gas temp sorry not a knock sensor.

But yes i do have 3 knock sensors that are connected. not sure if the po added the third and did the rewire for that one or what? I am not getting any codes at this point, but then again i have not really driven this car much since buying.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
shaeff;1441571 said:
There are only TWO knock sensors on turbo models, and only ONE on N/A's.

Check the ECU pinouts people, for turbo models, there are two wires, N/As there are one. :nono:

And I am completely aware of this. So there is 3 threads where a knock sensor can fit? 2 where the knock sensor are supposed to go and a 3rd in the middle that isnt being used?

NO need for all those putdowns.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
That makes sense so what if any would be the benefit of running 3 with the rewire? i am not sure how my third is wired in, spliced with ks1 or ks 2? i am not having any issues with it but do you see anything that could go wrong by leaving it in?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
well mine is with the sensor in and hooked up? like i said i am not having any problems so i am not going to dick with it until i do or if it is absolutely necessary. if i can get my cam working and get a decent pic i will post it.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Zumtizzle;1441678 said:
Bzzzzzzzz.

On 90+ Big Daddy Blocks. We have them drilled and tapped; because we're ballers.

Comeon 89. ;)

lol. Well problem solved, I rewired both connectors, plugged one to the k/s closest to the alt. and plugged the other closest to the starter... without removing the alt or starter like most people say must be done! Too bad I cant test it until I find my damn keys

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
The alt one is somewhat simple by removing the vac line bracket for the vsv. i found on the one closest to the starter if you remove the to grounds and manifold support bracket you can reach in there pretty easy with manifold on. since i was doing the head gasket and had head off it was cake to actually see everything, and clean up the po wire job as well.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
Did the OP really say that he added a knock sensor in the NA spot to the 2 turbo knock sensors, then ask why he had 3. :rofl: I'm glad someone answered your question.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
sk6471;1441703 said:
Did the OP really say that he added a knock sensor in the NA spot to the 2 turbo knock sensors, then ask why he had 3. :rofl: I'm glad someone answered your question.

I didnt mean 3 knock sensors, I meant 3 knock sensor holes