2jzge-T swap notes and pricelists

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Your welcome. After completing the first 2jz swap and already 1/3 into a 1.5jz swap, I feel like I know enough to be helpful. : p

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
I has questionssss if someone would help me out, local guy is selling an mkiv 2jzge, has w58 bell housing, and cut up harness. He needs it gone and is willing to negotiate (his listed price is 350). Can i use my 7mge electronics and computer with this swap? Or would it be smarter to get 7mgte electronics/ecu. I do want to go turbo down the line, but not anytime soon so if its possible to use 7mge electronics and ecu, i would like to know what else i would need with it.

PS: just found a guy "selling 2zgte engine harness from my running mk3 supra" 150, prob gray plugged and not running ditributor?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
You can use the 7mge electronics to run the 2jzge. The 7mgte CPS and 7mge Distributor have the same gear on them as the 2jzge Distributor. I got curious once and checked them all. All identical, considering you can use the 7mgte CPS on all three motors (7mgte, 7mge, and 2jzge), which means the 7mge Distributor will work. It has been done sir! :icon_razz Can't remember the thread, try searching N/A 2jzge and mkiii chassis.

He may have used the 2jzge ECU and wiring, but if you use the 7mge ECU and wiring/sensors, then you are set and can still use the mkiii body wiring too. Follow the same idea as putting 7mgte electronics on a 2jzge. Same concept, and the ECU won't care as long as it sees the right stuff, inline 6, and 3.0L. :naughty:

That cut up harness is useless though, it's for the 2jzge, and the bellhousing is only good if you go with a W58 off the bat. Plus, you can always turbo later after breaking it in N/A and getting used to it. Just do it up right so you do not have to pull and rebuild later.

**IF ANY OF THIS IS WRONG, PLEASE CORRECT ME - even though I did a comparison, that does not mean much beyond what parts I had with me at the time (94 2jzge distro, 87 7mge distro, 88 7mgte cps)**

Volvospy

Sep 9, 2009
Northern VA
So it's almost plug and play engine swap electricalwise if you have a is300 2jzge engine and want to swap it in a 89-92 na mk3? Anyone knows for sure please confirm, I just want to make my na run and I have a free is300 engine. Thanks a bunch!

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
The 7MGTE ECU will not run a 2JZGE VVTI (IS300) without running the proper crank trigger. Of course it would require tuning, and you'd lose VVT-i control.

Top = 1jzgte/2jzgte/2jzge non-vvti (in some years)

Bottom = 2JZGE VVTI

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Of course this also means a 2jzgte/1jzgte could easily be run off the 7mgte ECU, even without the 7M CPS since the JZ trigger is 12 teeth (where 7M is 24 - NE) and they still have G1/G2 sensors, which would require no modification. the only thing I can figure out is why anyone would want to do it... ;).

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
hottscennessey;1693627 said:
The 7MGTE ECU will not run a 2JZGE VVTI (IS300) without running the proper crank trigger. Of course it would require tuning, and you'd lose VVT-i control.

Top = 1jzgte/2jzgte/2jzge non-vvti (in some years)

Bottom = 2JZGE VVTI

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Of course this also means a 2jzgte/1jzgte could easily be run off the 7mgte ECU, even without the 7M CPS since the JZ trigger is 12 teeth (where 7M is 24 - NE) and they still have G1/G2 sensors, which would require no modification. the only thing I can figure out is why anyone would want to do it... ;).

You're EFFING kidding me?!? I always wondered if it was at least possible to run the 7mgte ecu off of the 1jzgte crank sensor.... PM me if you have ANY info on this before I sell my entire 7M setup. It would save me $$$$ on my current build. lol

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nghty89;1693668 said:
You're EFFING kidding me?!? I always wondered if it was at least possible to run the 7mgte ecu off of the 1jzgte crank sensor.... PM me if you have ANY info on this before I sell my entire 7M setup. It would save me $$$$ on my current build. lol

It's all theory of course, just like the 2JZGE off 7M electronics was, but it makes a lot of sense if you look at all the necessary inputs for the 7MGTE. Also means you could run the 7MGTE off 1JZ electronics.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
hottscennessey;1694012 said:
It's all theory of course, just like the 2JZGE off 7M electronics was, but it makes a lot of sense if you look at all the necessary inputs for the 7MGTE. Also means you could run the 7MGTE off 1JZ electronics.

Interesting....... ill do some digging. Is there any info on the outputs of the 7m cam sensor vs the 1jz crank or cam sensors? I'm wondering if the signals themselves are even close....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SOLO

Mar 29, 2009
GA
First, thanks for compiling all this info. It has been very helpful.

I have been accumulating parts for my swap and would like to finish shopping, but I am still a bit confused on what headgasket to purchase. I plan to run the car on the stock 7m-gte electronics (lex afm/550s/ walbro/ tune with afc) with a possible chance of upgrading to a stand alone in the future. The stock CR of the 7m-gte is around 8.5:1. A 2jz-gte headgasket will put the 2jz-ge around 9.2:1, while a 2mm HG will put the CR around 8.5:1. My concern is will I be better off to have the compression ratio near the 7m-gte's stock CR to avoid any fueling/timing issues, or will the difference in CR be negligible?

mkIII2jz

Jan 6, 2008
tenino
So if I use a 2jzgte with its wiring harness and a standalone then I don't need 7m ecu or other 7m harness , parts ?

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
If I may ask.... Going from a 7MGTE/R154 to a 2JZGE-T/Auto, to use 7M electronics and retain the auto I would need a 7MGTE auto ECU and harness correct?? From what I gather the A340 is still the same trans right?

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
that trans coming with your 2jzge is pretty alien from the one that goes in the mk3. Keep the jz bellhousing, but the tranny itself will need to be swapped in from a 7mgte auto engine set. But also if your car is a manual chassis, you would need to change the dash wiring. Just keep your R154, unless your building up for some drag action, it simply is more work then its worth, start with an auto chassis first. The manual wiring is missing the auto shifter plugs and about 4 wires for other things, not to mention your dash cluster is missing the auto stuff.

erags1092

What parts are need for the actual turbo part of the NA-T builds. do most of you just buy kits off of ebay or drifmotion. or buy everything indivually. From what i can gather what you need is.. the turbo, manifold, oil feed/drain lines, blowoff valve, and wastegate. And other parts like boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, turbo timer, and intercooler/piping are they needed or are they just for extra power.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
erags1092;1772231 said:
What parts are need for the actual turbo part of the NA-T builds. do most of you just buy kits off of ebay or drifmotion. or buy everything indivually. From what i can gather what you need is.. the turbo, manifold, oil feed/drain lines, blowoff valve, and wastegate. And other parts like boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, turbo timer, and intercooler/piping are they needed or are they just for extra power.

If you want to kill your car, then they're extra. If you want reliable power, then get everything before running it. Most of us buy the parts individually, as turbo kits can cost more than $1-2k over what you might spend by finding deals on the parts. But this is up to you, either way is fine. Stay away from ebay kits unless you know without a doubt what it is, where its from, and the quality of parts.

As for WHAT you need, the basics for any reliable turbo setup. Do more research here and elsewhere so you fully grasp what's needed to make reliable power. Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" is a good read for the basics and the pro stuff, but skip the design parts as it can get IN DEPTH.

Don't skimp now and regret it later. Trust me.

Sent from my engine bay.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
turbo87targa;1833451 said:
Old thread bump....Been lookin through the threads and can't seem to find the answer I need...

Which mechanical fan do I need for a pre89 2jzge-T with a PWR radiator?

I was diggin through my notes and other random scratch pads about the fan. From what I wrote down, the 2JGE clutch with the GTE blades *should* clear just fine.

On my personal 2JZGE-T swap, I am using the 7MGTE fan clutch and blades. that gives me about 1.5" of clearance to the factory rad. I'm not sure how much thicker the PWR is than the factory setup; you could also just go ful E-fan setup and call it a day.

Yes I know, E-fan vs. Clutch fan round 115... LOL

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
sorry to dig this up or anything. i have a brand new gone through 7mgte harness and aem ems standalone and want to go 2jz. i want to go 2jzge-t but use the gte head, headgasket, intake manifold, throttle body, pistons, rods. now my question is can i run the 7m harness and aem standalone ecu with the gte head and parts? is it possible to make a crank trigger for the gte and customize it for the 7m harness and aem? or can i use the cps and modify it for the gte head? very interested to know the truth on this i have been wondering for awhile because i want to go 2jzge for cheap and use the gte parts but don't really wanna have to get a gte harness and ecu when i have a brand new 7m harness and aem ecu lol. thank you!