2jzge-T swap notes and pricelists

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
EPIC. Thanks josh!! Also.....i just took my head to the machine shop for a valve job, and i asked him to get rid of all the viton....and he took it off....the wrong way, its perfectly straight on the bottom there was a 3-4 thousandths variation towards the rear cylinder, so he took some off of the head, 8 thousandths to be exact. He said he used 120 grit sandpaper to do it. I'm using a cometic 1.2mm hg, will it seal still? If not what can i do to get it to the correct smoothness?

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

My engine came from a GS300, not an SC, will this affect the wiring? I'm on clublexus and club na-t and no one seems to be much help.....

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
No prob bob. Don't think the GS and SC are any different wiring wise, only things you really have to splice are the alt and tps anyways unless the GS IAC isn't plug'n play like the SC one. You find a SC/Supra oil pan to swap over?

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Yep oil pan was the first thing! My only hitch (so far) is the alternator plug. The rest has been well documented enough so i can find it rather well, any particular hitches you bumped into? And iny input on the head situation? I've downloaded the SC and the Mk4 TSRM's, but i can't find the RA spec for the head.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I definitely wouldn't use an MLS gasket on a head that was sanded with 120grit, nor would I use a shop again that took sandpaper to my head. If I were you I'd find a competent shop and have the head cleaned up to whatever RA your cometic requires.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Got the head situation squared away, and the block to a mirror finish with 1000grit wet/dry wrapped on the broad side of a straight edge, looks good aside from a bit of pitting, but i can barely feel it, and its not touching anything. Quick question, what did you do about the temp sensors? i tried to put mine into the head and the probe for the ecu temp( the green two prong one, ) is too big to fit in the head. Any suggestions? Or am i just retarded?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Supra_Villan;1618665 said:
Got the head situation squared away, and the block to a mirror finish with 1000grit wet/dry wrapped on the broad side of a straight edge, looks good aside from a bit of pitting, but i can barely feel it, and its not touching anything. Quick question, what did you do about the temp sensors? i tried to put mine into the head and the probe for the ecu temp( the green two prong one, ) is too big to fit in the head. Any suggestions? Or am i just retarded?

Now use the straightedge to see how flat it isn't ;)

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
So quick question, since I am unable to find anything on it here.

Could I run my 2jzna-t off the 2jzge distributor, with the 7mgte cps wiring? Considering this: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446551&page=2 - the wiring can be done. BUT - are the signals the same if I use the 2jzge ignitor and the 7mgte ECU?

OR

If that will not work, does anyone have any idea how to wire the 2jzge ECU to the mkiii body harness (like stock)?

Maybe I'm just insane, but figured I'd search and find out was is and isn't possible. Otherwise, I'll complete the swap as I have in the past using the normal technique of 7mgte electronics and a rebuilt harness to allow me to 'wire tuck'.

EDIT: I see he is using the Autronic standalone, so I doubt the CPS/Distro signals will not be the same since I want to use the stock 7mgte ECU. I was looking for a way to make it cleaner, to hide the spark wires and avoid mounting the coil packs in some strange location. ALTHOUGH - I could take a set of the V8 spark wires (universal from Pep-Sluts, worked great on my 7m), cut them to a custom length, and then hide the coil packs.... >>
Extending wiring is not an issue considering I will be attempting to re-create the 7m harness from scratch with more wiggle room for my envisioned wire-tuck...

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Supra_Villan;1620053 said:
the base of it doesn't look like mine...hmmm. The one i'm thinking of is this one...
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-coolanttempecusensor7m2jz89-up.php
and the probe end is faaaar too large to fit.

And ian, what are you talking about!?!?!?! Why would a straight edge not sand straight? It is very thick and rigid, and i was applying pressure over the center part, not the edges.
Anything for this one guys?

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Nghty89;1622123 said:
So quick question, since I am unable to find anything on it here.

Could I run my 2jzna-t off the 2jzge distributor, with the 7mgte cps wiring? Considering this: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446551&page=2 - the wiring can be done. BUT - are the signals the same if I use the 2jzge ignitor and the 7mgte ECU?

OR

If that will not work, does anyone have any idea how to wire the 2jzge ECU to the mkiii body harness (like stock)?

Maybe I'm just insane, but figured I'd search and find out was is and isn't possible. Otherwise, I'll complete the swap as I have in the past using the normal technique of 7mgte electronics and a rebuilt harness to allow me to 'wire tuck'.

EDIT: I see he is using the Autronic standalone, so I doubt the CPS/Distro signals will not be the same since I want to use the stock 7mgte ECU. I was looking for a way to make it cleaner, to hide the spark wires and avoid mounting the coil packs in some strange location. ALTHOUGH - I could take a set of the V8 spark wires (universal from Pep-Sluts, worked great on my 7m), cut them to a custom length, and then hide the coil packs.... >>
Extending wiring is not an issue considering I will be attempting to re-create the 7m harness from scratch with more wiggle room for my envisioned wire-tuck...

You could do the 7m cop swap since the coils they use are from a 2jzge anyway lol then your wires are 100% hidden and you'd still use the 7m cps which is cleaner to me then a big distributor on the front of your engine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Supra_Villan;1622331 said:
Anything for this one guys?

Same one I used when I did my 2jzna-t swap in my first white supra. Fit perfectly. There seems to be some casting differences between GS300 heads/valve covers and other 2jzs (mine was a gs300 head with an is300 block iirc, and the cam seals didn't fit right from the sc300 during that build).... That's how it was with my first one at least. But that sensor and the other ones suggested plopped right on in. Maybe you're not using the right hole? There are several there under the intake side near the front that I can snap pictures of since I haven't removed mine yet. Just recently got to tearing down and cleaning in prep for the machine work.

BTW - forged anyone? I think I may just stick with stock. I'm debating since I won't see a 7.5K rpm redline for a while. (still need cams, springs, 1mm OS valves, want to have lighter internals)

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

whenmunkysfly;1622383 said:
You could do the 7m cop swap since the coils they use are from a 2jzge anyway lol then your wires are 100% hidden and you'd still use the 7m cps which is cleaner to me then a big distributor on the front of your engine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Well, I decided to change my mind. I found some info on making the wheel in the 7m CPS work with a megasquirt signal with minor changes which will allow me to run quite a few different options and still keep the small size of the cps. Megasquirt, here I come! Still searching for 2jzgte valve covers though! : (

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Woot Woot I just did some further digging and, although it is old news, I CAN use the 7mgte CPS without modification on the MS system. Damn I need to learn more before spouting off. lol

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I just completed my 2JZGE-T swap but I cant get my coil #3 (cylinders 3&4) to fire. Yes, the car is only running on 4cyl. They are getting fuel, but I cant get the coil pack to fire off the Stinger. I have IS300 coil packs and an IS300 igniter. I think I may have a bad igniter. I swapped coilpacks, installed new plugs and wires with a known good IS300 set off a running car. Still no fire to Coilpack3. I have confirmed that the wiring is correct and the coil is getting power.

I may attempt to wire in the 7MGTE igniter to see if that helps any.

EDIT: MY Stinger harness was incorrectly pinned from EMS. They mixed up the grey and grey/blk wire either on the harness or their documentation. That was causing the coilapck #3 to not fire. The coilpack was wired into the O2 Wideband grey wire by accident. I had to undo my wire loom and trace the wires to find the problem since I shrinkwrapped it so tight. I didnt realize it untill i twisted around the grey wire in pinout #1 to see the incriminating black stripe.

Car feels smooth now....

Last edited:

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
i heard someone did a is300 coil and cps on a 2jz na harness ?? is it supra na harness or is300 harness ?? anyone have a link if someone here did the swap ??

thanks.

Rety1

Nov 24, 2010
Phillipsburg, NJ
i see the last post is pretty recent, so ill ask here...
does it matter if the 2jz engine i get came from a car with OBD2? (post 95 i believe) since i want to use wiring from an OBD1(?) car..

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
It won't matter because you're using the 7mgte electronics and 7m ecu. The ecu only cares that it is an inline 6, 3.0L, and has a turbo on it, using all the sensors it needs. That's about it unless you go standalone or throw on a bunch of piggy-backs.

There should be a thread around here about the IS300 COP swap. Check under 7mgte articles or search, but you will still be using the CPS from the 7m since the 7mgte ecu will not read the distro from the 2jzge.

The 2jzge is in the IS300 so the supra n/a harness and IS300 harness should be almost identical, if not exactly identical. CPS or distro? The CPS is on the 7mgte, the distributor is on the 2jzge (OBDI models), 7mge, etc.