2JZGE MKIII with 7MGTE Wiring and Electronics

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Not much, the weather is getting nicer and other things are occupying my time...

I did get the transmission switched over and installed and the oil drain hole put into the pan, but that's about it.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I had a problem with the trans mount lining up with the chassis, I'm using the BIC mounts in an 87T chassis, 2JZ W58 bellhousing on a MKIII W58 trans. I would say the back of the trans is about an inch too far forward. I realize this isn't "typical" swap, but there isn't some obvious reason why this shouldn't work, is there?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
i believe an r154 sits a bit further back that the w58. I remember someone doing an auto/manual swap like i did.... then a w58/r154 swap and they had to cut back some of the metal where the shifter boot is bolted to the chasis

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I would think the mounts on the chassis are the same no matter what drivetrain went into the car and they could make up the difference with the mounting brackets on the trans. I swapped a R514 into an auto car and a W58 into a turbo car before and didn't have any problems. I'm guessing the 2JZ W58 bellhousing is shorter than the 7M W58 bellhousing, and that's what is causing my problem, but I've never heard of this problem when using an R154, but I suppose that's because the JZ/R154 combo was a factory option on the A70 chassis.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Nah, It's not that far off, the shifter fits through the hole, just the bolt holes on the mount don't line up with the chassis. But now I want to go back and make sure that the input shaft is engaged in the pilot bearing correctly, just beacuse I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies. Once I know what the root cause is I'll be able to decide how to fix it. It hadn't even occured to me that this would be an issue, but that's why I only work on it in my spare time.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
i ran into a little issue today when mounting the engine.

well i have 89+ crossmember with a 2jzge i bought from rj now when i go to put the engine in,it is to far back and to high.i thought that i wouldn't have to using anything but the 2jz mounts on the newer cross member.what parts/what do i have to do to put the engine in.i hate not be able to search suprafourms.so now i have to post.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
Yea i was going to go with a w58 for my 2jz-ge since its a lot cheaper to do everything BUT then i found out that the w58 is just a couple inches further back then where the shifter is suppose to go, so that takes some custom work. Now the r154 will fit like pie :p, but the price difference is significant

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
i have the r-154 but i the engine won't fit.i will take a pic and post it in a bit,the engine is way to far back in the engine compartment. and the tranny won't even fit.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
pic

p657615_1.jpg

another pic

p657615_2.jpg

the engine looks a litte more forward becouse i still have the engine housit chain on it.

caleb

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
OK, let me break it down, there are two things on the side of the engine there, the engine mounts themselves, the round rubbery things and the engine mount brakcets, the aluminum part that bolts to the block. You can't use the 2JZ engine mount brackets. If you have a pre 89 like I do you can use the BIC brackets, they allow you to put a JZ engine in the old stlye subframe. If you have a 89+ then you need JZA70 (not all 1JZ mount brackets are the same) mount brackets, or I think BIC also make a steel version of these, or at least he had talked about it in the past. I think you should be able to re-use the mounts you have, but you will need different brackets.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
supra87t/t4 said:
OK, let me break it down, there are two things on the side of the engine there, the engine mounts themselves, the round rubbery things and the engine mount brakcets, the aluminum part that bolts to the block. You can't use the 2JZ engine mount brackets. If you have a pre 89 like I do you can use the BIC brackets, they allow you to put a JZ engine in the old stlye subframe. If you have a 89+ then you need JZA70 (not all 1JZ mount brackets are the same) mount brackets, or I think BIC also make a steel version of these, or at least he had talked about it in the past. I think you should be able to re-use the mounts you have, but you will need different brackets.

so is their a year difference in 1jz mounts or how do i know which one to get i have the 89+ sub frame..(i thought the 89+ would be easier.i think i was wrong)

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
89+ is easier if you get a 1JZ engine from a supra (JZA70). That is the only plug-and-play option, and before the BIC mounts came along it was pretty much the only option. I don't know much about the 1JZ swap, but I do know that some of the other cars that the 1JZ came in use different mount brackets that don't work in a supra chassis. I'm pretty sure that Randy was goign to start making the mount brackets for the 89+ subframe since the JZA70 ones are getting harder to find.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
supra87t/t4 said:
89+ is easier if you get a 1JZ engine from a supra (JZA70). That is the only plug-and-play option, and before the BIC mounts came along it was pretty much the only option. I don't know much about the 1JZ swap, but I do know that some of the other cars that the 1JZ came in use different mount brackets that don't work in a supra chassis. I'm pretty sure that Randy was goign to start making the mount brackets for the 89+ subframe since the JZA70 ones are getting harder to find.

remember that all 89s are not equal. my car was made in 08/88, i have the square unbreakable(unless you are duane or p5150) mounts, but i have the grey plug ECU.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
I got the motor in, I ended up just ordering the custom brackets from bic. just need the stuff for the turbo and I will be very close to being done.

Last edited: