2JZGE MKIII with 7MGTE Wiring and Electronics

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
As discussed in several other threads a few of us have 2JZGE NA-T projects going on right now. I got mine running last weekend so it must be time to start my own thread. My goal is to keep costs down and modifications to a minimum, this includes keeping the 7M wiring with as few modifications as possible. If everything works out as I hope, you would be able to do this swap for less than the cost of rebuilding your rodknocked or even BHG'd 7M. The car this is going in is not my main supra, just a little side project for fun and to try something different. It's not being built for a huge turbo or massive power, I'll probably even keep the W58, it'll be awhile before I even put a turbo on it, but who knows where a project like this will take you, that's half the fun. For now I'll share a few pics and a rundown of what I did to get the engine running with the 7M wiring, I'll keep updates coming build thread style.

From memory, here are all the connectors on the 7M harness and what I did with them

O2 sensor - not hooked up yet - I was using a thread in style sensor in a custom downpipe with the 7M, I just need to find the stock flange style sensor and it should bolt right into the header, the sensors fror the 2jzge a single wrie with a different connector than the 7M

Oil Pressure - not hooked up yet - I separated this wire out of the loom that crosses the engine and plan to replace the stock oil pressure sensor (near where the A/C was) with the 7M one, but it won't screw into the block because it's too big around. I plan to use some pipe fittings or get the adapter from driftmotion to solve this.

Coolant Temp(s) - replace 2JZGE sensors with 7M ones - Again these wires were pulled out of the loom running across the engine as the coolant sensor ports on the 2JZGE are just under the intake runners, the 7M sensors thread right in, the singe wire one for the gauge and the two wire one for the ECU, there is one wire from the two wire sensor that needed to be extended because it was spliced into another wire right near the CPS.

Cold Start Coolant Temp - N/A - there is no cold start injector on the 2JZGE, obviously cold starts are handled some other way by the 2JZGE ECU and since I still have the 7M ECU I really should have a CSI, but I'll live without it, it wasn't hooked up when I had the 7M anyway.

CPS - modify 7M cps to fit in 2JZGE head - another slot needs to be made in the 7M CPS to fit the 2JZGE head, wiring is unchanged.

Alternator - use 2JZGE alternator - with the alternator relocated to the intake side of the engine the stock wiring will hook up, except that the hole in the battery cable needs to be enlarged as the stud on the 2JZGE alternater is larger than the 7M one. EDIT: It appears that the connector on later year 2JZGE alternators is different than the 7M connector

Injectors - use 7M injectors - any injector that fits the 7M will fit the 2JZGE, my injector wires had already been extended since I had switched the connector a couple times for the 7M, so I can't say for sure that they will reach at stock length.

ISC - extend wires, use 2JZGE ISC - There's no way the stock wires will reach the ISC as it is way over on teh exhaust side of the head, I just extended the wires, the plugs are the same on both cars, I didn't check the wiring, but I assue it's the same.

TPS - creatively mount 7M sensor, extend wires - The TPS sensors both rotate the same way, but the little tabs inside are 90 degrees different, for now I have mounted the 7M sensor 90* off normal, which leaves the connector/wires pointing straight up, possibly into the hood, I may need to try to modify the little plate on the throttle body to mount it 90* off instead. Another option would be to use the 2JZGE sensor, as I would expect the signals to be the same, however the connector is different and the one that came on my 2JZGE harness is broken

Knock sensors - use 7M sensors - 7M sensors screw right on where the 2JZGE sensors were, I'm sure the sensors were tuned for the 7M block, but oh well, the connectors on the 2JZGE sensors are different

Cold Start Injector - not used - there is no cold start injector on a 2JZGE as covered above, it would be more work than it's worth to try to add it to the 2JZGE intake and alot of people run without it anyway.

VSV's - not hooked up - I had removed these from my 7M harness, you could easy hook them up as long as you understnd what they do.

Starter - use 2JZGE starter - same connectors as 7M, just hook them up. EDIT: It appears that the connector on later year 2JZGE starters is different than the 7M connector

Transmission wires - not hooked up yet - if you are keeping the same transmission in the car, then obviously they are a no brainer, I just havent given much thought to them yet, I will be using a MKIII W58 with the bellhousing from the 2JZGE, since the 2JZGE W58 had a different mount and no speedo cable.

Coilpacks - still need solution - where I have them right now the stock connector reached and I used two sets of 7MGTE wires to get enough long wires to reach the plugs, but this is obviously a temporary solution

AFM - use 7M AFM - I'll be using a stock AFM for now and probably a lexus later, just because I have one and it's all I need to make the power I'm looking for, the wiring should reach and if you have the piping from the 2JZGE it might fit without much work.

Did I forget any?

Also the stock throttle cable is too short, I'll be trying a camry one this weekend along with working on other issues as I find them.

Last edited:

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
At this point the engine has just been set in the car and only the bare minimum of things have been hooked up, I know there will be issues and I know I'll be pulling it back out, I just want to check my wiring and that the engine will start and run and I haven't missed something big.

The first three pics are of a very dirty engine in a very dirty car with very temporary plug wires and coilpack mounting.

The fourth picture is of my belt routing which I am very happy with, I need to make a better bracket(but I did a good job of hiding it in the pic) to relocate the alternator to the drivers side of the engine where the A/C and power steering used to be.

Last pic is of the modified 7M CPS, it could have turned out a little nicer, but works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
First pic shows the 7M CPS mounted to the stock TB, I may just leave it like this if the hood will clear, it's not the most elegant solution, but was easy to do.

Second pic shows that the stock SC300 exhaust won't clear the MKIII front subframe, most people probably don't care about that, but it is an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I love the project, many of us have theorized about how easy it would be.

I would suggest power steering if possible. It would make everything great. I hate to see a nice clean swap ruined by lack of PS. Making the alternator work in the proper location is very easy, just extend the 3 wires and the battery cable. You can actually use the factory jza70 battery extension cable if you can find one.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
One suggestion for the TPS, I don't know if you're using a turbo or NA 7m TPS, but one is clocked 90 degrees off from the other. So you should be able to switch to the other and bolt it up without having it point up towards the hood. They both have the same connector as well.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
JonoTurbo said:
One suggestion for the TPS, I don't know if you're using a turbo or NA 7m TPS, but one is clocked 90 degrees off from the other. So you should be able to switch to the other and bolt it up without having it point up towards the hood. They both have the same connector as well.
Awesome idea, I didn't know that. I was using a turbo one, but I'm sure I have an NA one somewhere. Thanks, I'll test it out this weekend.

Last edited:

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
The alternator fits right over the stud that the PS was mounted to, then I just made a bracket that goes from one of the AC mounting bolts to the other hole on the alternator. The belt is ~15" shorter than stock, 61.5" I believe.

I realize that some people think leaving the PS off is half-assed, and obviously it's true that keeping the alternator on the passenger side would be just as easy as extending the wires. My 7M PS always leaked and would cut out at the worst times leading me to believe that I was better off without it, after I took it off I never regretted it and I even cut some of the hard lines going to the rack, so there is no way I'll be using PS on this swap. I'll leave that up to someone else to figure out and share with the rest of us how they did it.

Last edited:

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Just look up the part number for a stock belt from your favorite brand and replace the 763 with 615, if that's too short a 620 is also a commonly available size.

IE stock SC300 belt from NAPA
I used

Gates would be
K060763 -> K060615

ETC.

Different manufacturers use different numbering systems, but the length is always in the part number somewhere.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Talking about powersteering, I used a 1J powersteering pump (1JZ head so 2JZ-GE would not fit), and the 2JZ-GTE PS line. I used a 7M-GE reservoir on the driver's side. I used the 7M factory PS hardlines, and yes it goes from one side of the motor, to the other side into the cooler, then all the way back to the other side of the car to the reservoir. It doesn't feel as strong as the 7M did, but it is better than having NO power steering IMO.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Here's the length differences between
stock MIII throttle cable (top)
92-96 Camry cable (middle)
97-? Camry cable (bottom)

And a comparison of the
7MGTE CPS (left)
2JZGE CPS (middle)
7MGE CPS (right)

The 7MGE CPS should work perfect (thanks again JonoTurbo). The Camry cable is longer than I need and also the threaded part on the end isn't as long as it should be and barely fits in the holder bracket. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before today, but there's a good chance a SC300 or GS300 cable would work (Duh) I'll have to take a look at my GF's GS.

Attachments

• Image022a.jpg
    Image022a.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Image063a.jpg
    Image063a.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
supra87t/t4 said:
Just look up the part number for a stock belt from your favorite brand and replace the 763 with 615, if that's too short a 620 is also a commonly available size.

IE stock SC300 belt from NAPA
I used

Gates would be
K060763 -> K060615

ETC.

Different manufacturers use different numbering systems, but the length is always in the part number somewhere.

Thanks so much for the belt thing.. thanks to you I could type in endings until I found one that was the correct legnth! Now I can just take the PN to napa :)

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
That's what I did too, just keep trying numbers unil you find a match that's close. I found about 10 different sizes from napa and then I cross checked all those at autozone and only 3 or 4 came up there, so I picked one of those. I knew I would buy it from napa, but they still don't show if parts are in stock on their website :(