2JZGE MKIII with 7MGTE Wiring and Electronics

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Progress is slow, I only get a chance to work on the car on the weekends.

I put in the 7MGE TPS and the MKIII O2 sensor and fired up the car to set the timing and check the diagnostic codes. Everything checked out, but it should since the only electronics that changed was the ISC.

The Camry throttle cable isn't ideal, I either need to make a new thinner TB end mount closer to the bellcrank or try an SC300 cable which from the pics I saw on Ebay is different but similar to the MKIII cable.

I also set the radiator in to see how the radiator hoses would line up, the bottom hose I shoud be able to cut down the stock MKIII hose (actually I didn't even check the SC00 hose, I'll have to see if that would work without cutting) The top hose looks like a bitch, I'll have to see if any of the other JZ engines have a similar inlet (I'll check the SC300 hose here too) EDIT: the 1JZGTE and 2JZGTE both have the inlets on the exhaust side, not like the 2JZGE, but the SC300 hose looks like it will probably work.

It looks like the coil packs will mount pretty nicely on the very back of the valvecover, still need to find a good solution for plug wires.

Now I have the engine back out so I can rework the exhaust (was hitting the subframe) and try a couple fittings I bought to get the 7M oil pressure sensor mounted. I also need to finish the harness now that I verified everything works. Also need to make EGR blockoff plates and research the vacuum routing for the SC300, so I know what to block off, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Bottom radiator hose will work fine if you cut an 1"-1.5" off. For the top hose I took the stock MKIII lower hose, and cut off one of the bends, and it fit fine!

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Just payed RANDJDISTRIBUTING for the 2JZGE. They were very nice and easy to work with. Just letting you know I will be hitting you up for questions soon. Thanks for the informative thread.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri

hottscennessey said:
J/W, how much did it run you after shipping out there JMCBoost?

It must have been $250 for shipping, 500 for the engine and 250 for shipping. Not bad at all. I will know for sure once I get to inspect the engine. Should have it in a few days

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Also, remember I am watching your every move on your builds so don't mess up, because then I will too. But really, thanks for the threads of knowledge and I will try to make a build thread of my own.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
supra87t/t4 said:
It looks like the coil packs will mount pretty nicely on the very back of the valvecover, still need to find a good solution for plug wires.

Have you seen tookwik's recent mod? Would it be easier to make a harness like he did and use the 2jz coils? Or are you sticking with the all 7M electronics point?

Supraboostin

7m power
Mar 30, 2005
MIAMI
jmcboost said:
Also, remember I am watching your every move on your builds so don't mess up, because then I will too. But really, thanks for the threads of knowledge and I will try to make a build thread of my own.
WTF a little demanding there

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Supraboostin said:
WTF a little demanding there

Ya, Hopefully that comment was taken how I meant it, as a joke.:naughty: I know that it is almost impossible to do this swap without trial and error. Thats why I am glad these guys are doing threads on this. I don't think I would even attempt this swap without these threads.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I know this thread is more of an electronics based thread, but I think this fits with the swap information. I am currently doing this swap and have motor mount question. My mounts on my 7M fell apart (the rubber seperated from the metal mount) when I took the engine out. The mounts for the 2J were the same, broken. Which mounts do I need to use to swap the 2J in my 7M the 7M or 2J mounts. Also is there any way to fix my mounts? My supra is a 1990.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
What about the rubber part falling off. How do I fix that? Buy a new rubber part, or do I have to buy the whole thing? And what do you have to grind on the 2J mount and why?

nille__

Sep 8, 2006
sweden
im in the middle of a 2jz swap and I use. 1jz engine brackets and 2jz engine mounts BUT i cant get the engine in place.. i've removed the crossmember just trying to fit the engine in it. Its at the absolute top of the brackets in the crossmember. It looks like it fit if i chime the 2 mount points at the engine. Im from sweden so im not the best at spelling and grammar. hehe

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
The BIC mounts will work. Not all 1JZ mount brackets are the same, it depends what car the engine was originally in.

Nille, do you have the newer style crossmember? Only the BIC mounts will work with the older crossmember.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
how can you tell if you have the right cross member i know one is a different design but dose anyone know when they put the "right" cross member in i am deffently considering this swap.i know they put it in in 1989 but people have said their is two 1989 cross members?
plz correct me if i am wrong

thanks caleb

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
If you look at your 7M mounts you can tell, the old style has a square mount and the bracket going to the engine is made of bent plate steel, the new style has a round mount and the bracket is cast aluminum. Either way you need new brackets, no 2JZGE came with brackets that will work on an A70 subframe. BIC now makes brackets for either subframe (I think), or you can use the JZA70 ones if you have the later subframe.

nille__

Sep 8, 2006
sweden
supra87t/t4 said:
The BIC mounts will work. Not all 1JZ mount brackets are the same, it depends what car the engine was originally in.

Nille, do you have the newer style crossmember? Only the BIC mounts will work with the older crossmember.

Yes i have one pre89 and one 89+.

You can tell which one you got by looking at which angel the mounts go in the brackets in the crossmember.

I think the problem is that i use 2jz engine mounts. Someone told it would fit if i grind down the dowel pins. But it looks like it doesnt... to bad cause i have ordered trd 2jz mounts.

Im gonna try with 7m mounts today or i will chime the top mountingpoints att the brackets.