2jz-ge-t + gt4088 = under 6 grand budget...

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Wait. Rewind. How would that restrict air flow to the radiator considering that it would reduce pressure from the header panel/hood area, which doesn't wouldn't flow through the radiator anyway?

If I say something stupid, let me know, because I'm kinda new to this physics-of-airflow thing.

;-)

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
As the air leaves the radiator, it is looking for a place to go. A reverse vent gives the hot air a place to exit. Instead of giving the air an exit, you're forcing MORE air into the same amount of space, which will increase the amount of pressure in the engine bay, slowing down the airflow through the radiator. Not to mention now you'll have more air going underneath the car which will increase the amount of lift on the front of the car at high speeds.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bashing the hood, I think it LOOKS great, but as far as efficiency goes, there are much better ways to modify the hood.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
I'm no expert on air flow either but it seems like the scoop you made won't do much of anything IMO. Slight amount of drag is about it. As was mentioned, under the hood will be positive pressure from the air flowing thru the front. That SHOULD be enough pressure to cause a pocket of air where your scoop is allowing outside air to flow over it for the most part.

However, if it was ducted some how, completely separate from the air entering the front of the car THEN it would probably cause significant amount of drag. So if it was practical to "ram air" turbo I would recommend that.

Either, or, I understand you trying to have something different so all this probably won't make much of a difference in your build. Great work though! Looking forward to seeing it done.

PS - I also just got a GT4088 from a friend and will be working on getting that on. Unfortunately my goal was under $10k total...not looking like that's going to happen AT ALL lol.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Oh, alright, that makes sense.

And as I said earlier, I started this hood and discarded it a year or so ago, so it wasn't like there was a lot of planning in it.

Given what I know now, I probably would have gone a different route, but I'm thinking that it wouldn't cause too much of a difference either way.

Let me put it this way: as long as my hood doesn't fly off when I'm going down the road, I'm happy.

lol.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Make sure your latch is in good working condition and that the hood is completely secured when closed.

At least you didn't add a ram air scoop :icon_bigg

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Hood pins are rice? Tell that to all the domestic guys that have been using hood pins longer than our cars have existed.

My hood pins work way better than the stock latch ever did, I can press the hood down farther to get a better seal and I definitely trust the pins more than the stock latch. The pins are also lighter and you don't have to go inside the car every time you want to pop the hood. If you're worried about someone opening your hood just get a lock for it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I wasn't trying to hit a nerve.......but yes, most cars look riced out to me with hood pins. I'm not saying yours does, but most do. I happen to like your car though.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Yea sorry about that.. lol. I just don't see hood pins as "rice" at all. Maybe if it was a stock hood and someone just wanted to use the hood pins to look cool then yea but I've never seen anyone do that before. When I think of hood pins I think of old muscle cars with fiberglass hoods with huge scoops in them. The pins make it convenient to remove the hood quickly and effortlessly and its just as easy to put back on. Same goes for complete body panels in GT racing and prototype classes.

I like your car too btw :naughty:

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Hood pins look rice if the rest of the car looks rice. They can have a positive or negative effect depending on what direction the car has already gone in :)

Personally, I just prefer the stock latch because it's more secure. Also, I hope I'm not having to open my hood so often that I need to make it easier or more convenient haha

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
SilverSupraT;1111181 said:
Hood pins look rice if the rest of the car looks rice. They can have a positive or negative effect depending on what direction the car has already gone in :)

oh how true that is...

for me, If I had a fiberglass/CF hood, then yes, I would have hood pins, but I just don't see the need for them on a stock hood, but that's me.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Update

A little update:

-Relocated the heater valve to the trash
-Test fitted the Bomex bumper, then had to modify it, since the inside of it was hitting the intercooler. I'm still debating on how to mount it. Probably DZUS fasteners.

-Working on replacing the headgasket at the moment, since we pulled the intake manifold and found coolant sitting in the intake runners...plus, the car was missing at like 8lbs of boost (with afr's in the 12-13:1 range), so we're assuming that this is the cause of it.
-Adam (Supranforever) pulled the head for me (since I'm really pressed for time at the moment), bead-blasted the water outlet, polished the fuel rail, installed 650cc injectors, a q45 fuel pump, and afpr (holley 1:1 boost referenced) and is now waiting for a sunny day to replace the HKS headgasket for a stocker for the time being.
-upon removal of the head, he found that the people who installed the hg (prior to my owning the vehicle) didn't remove the rivets in the headgasket, and it didn't look like they'd even bothered to clean the block. I highly doubt they shaved the head, either.

For the moment, the 2jz has been put on the back burner while I'm away at school. I'm just hoping that the 100k mile 7m will hold up for a bit longer.

A few photos:

l_8b3186aac64d4d0198fda2638c518ece.jpg

if you're horrified by sawzalls cutting into expensive front bumpers, you may want to look away now...

l_94a3fbdf117541e5833dceab1a471bf9.jpg

I promise you, that hurt me more than it did you.

and...

A neat turbo photo:

l_c37a0de7b4464679bb08b594395a5583.jpg

Next is a custom-designed ffim (using 4.25" tubing), new tires (hence the mismatched wheels), and hopefully some paint on the bumper/hood.