2jz-ge-t + gt4088 = under 6 grand budget...

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
UPDATED: more updates on post numbers 32 and 54. Post number 62=FFIM construction Thought it was about time to give this an update...2jz stuff is on the back burner right now since I can barely even reach the motor in the garage, and since I'm in college/working two jobs my free time is limited...

Alright, so, I started this project with the intentions of building an Mkiii with a 2jz in it for under $6,00 dollars....Why 6 grand, you ask? I honestly have no idea, it just seemed like a good place to start at.

But I digress...

Anywho, I picked up the car, with 106k miles, for $1800 dollars from a local kid who didn't know what he had. It's a 1990 Grey on grey turbo targa 5-speed that runs flawlessly...

p687199_1.jpg

Modifications so far include:
3" exhaust from the DP back with a Greddy Knockoff muffler
Ditched in favor of a 4" exhaust with 8" around muffler...quieter than the 3" was...
FMIC
Knockoff SSQV
Moved to where fog light was...
Maf-translator
Moved to behind the front bumper...
Manual Boost Controller
Thrown away...
Hks 1.2mm Metal Headgasket (came installed on car...getting replaced due to shoddy job)
ARP Headbolts (Came installed on car)
Stainless Braided Clutch line & New Clutch Slave
XTD six puck clutch (and yes, I know about their problems, but it was a steal)
XTD lightweight flywheel
4" cone filter
Garrett gt4088
4" downpipe
2.5" intercooler hardpipes
Custom spark plug valley cover
Ebay turbo timer
Innovate Lc-1 Wideband mounted in pillar pod
Gauge lights changed to red
Hood scoop in progress
Hydro-electric power steering from MR2 (haven't gotten around to finishing it yet...)
Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
Drilled/Slotted Rotors
TTR Springs
Stewart Warner Boost Gauge
ssac manifold
HKS 38mm wastegate
Diamond Cut Headlights
18x8" Black VSR (Ebay) Wheels
p687199_2.jpg

Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
TTR Lowering Springs
Drilled & Slotted Rotors (Because mine were warped all to hell)
q45 fuel pump

Stuff already thrown in trash:
Stock intercooler
EGR
Stock power steering res.
Stock BOV
IC piping
Cruise Control
power steering pump
plug wires
afm
a/c condenser
a/c lines
a/c compressor
heater valve
etc...

Stuff waiting to go on:
New Pads (Nothing Special) Scored some axxis metal masters on ebay for 99 cents...
650cc precision injectors
Holley 1:1 boost referenced afpr

Last edited:

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Now as far as the 2jz is concerned, here's the story so far:

p687222_1.jpg

I picked this ^ motor up from a local Mkiv guy who swapped a gte in his n/a for the low sum of $500.00. Internally, there isn't a score on either the cams, caps, rod, or main bearings. The thing looks brand new inside...

After preliminary disassembly, everything was placed in sealed plastic, with accompanying nuts/bolts/etc...To keep from losing anything.

So far in my $6,000 dollar alloted budget I have purchased:

1800 = The car
50 = The BOV
100 = The Maf-translator
40 = The FMIC
50 = The Exhaust

...And here's the shocker...

p687222_2.jpg

200 = The Garrett Gt-4088 with a .81 Precision Exhaust Wheel...And yes, I'm going to remove that damn pipe coming out of the intake one way or another...

p687222_3.jpg

100 = Genuine HKS 38mm Wastegate (After Powdercoating...)

And that's where I'm at, as of this moment...

Last edited:

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
yeah, the turbo needs a new rear seal, but even considering that, it's well worth the price...

...or, even twice the price...

Small update: Powdercoated the waterneck, then realized that the grit in the sandblaster was a bit too coarse, so powdercoating is going to be on hold for a little bit until I can remedy that...;-)

p690494_1.jpg

Eye Candy...

mkIIIjedi

Confused
Jun 14, 2007
Dandridge, Tennessee
yehhh once we get some new and better sand for the blaster we can do your cam gears, valve cover, and other various engine parts! + then we can do my engine. I can hardly wait and for the record we rock at powder coating.

-brandon

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Update: got the baster back up and running and started blasting some more parts

...cam gears, valve covers, waterpump housing, coolant hardlines, rear upper timing cover all awaiting powdercoat.

I'll post some pictures when I get the chance...

-Devon Goodspeed

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Got the springs/pads/rotors/brake lines on the car...

...just waiting for a day off when the wheel place is actually open to get the tires mounted and stuck on there...

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
haha, honestly, mostly on here, Sf, ebay, or from local guys...

The Wastegate came from "V8THIS" (I think) on SF, but the turbo came from a friend who was going to a pt67 dbb...

All you really have to do is just be patient. I mean, I don't plan on having that motor in any time soon, so there was no point in my purchasing a wastegate or turbo, BUUUUUUT they were a steal, so, ya know...

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
So I got the wheels and tires (245 40 18's) on, and I'm still kinda up in the air about them...

Granted, they look better than stock, but they just don't seem right...opinions?

p700666_1.jpg

p700666_2.jpg

p700666_3.jpg

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
have one, it's got a couple breaks in it that I'm repairing at the moment, then it'll be back on the car...

...either that, or I'll say "screw it" and buy a bomex lip or something, but I think the front end would be WAYYYY too low and it would get eaten to pieces