2jz-ge-t + gt4088 = under 6 grand budget...

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Alright, update: I stepped around the motor while walking through the garage the other day...

...speaking of which, if anybody has rear sump oil pans, I am in need of them (long story)

I'm probably going to throw the Gt-40 on my car for the time being...just for the hell of it.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
lol, I do my own powder coating, so the costs are pretty low, lol.

In all seriousness, though, depending on what you'd need coated, shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it. Most of the time I'd do it for the cost of the materials (the powder).

-Devon Goodspeed

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
that pipe in the turbo is how the guy I got it from had it installed previously...and yes, it's being cut out, and I'm contemplating powdercoating the front housing black, but I'm still up in the air about that one.

Imprezademics

Life Is Good!
Mar 16, 2007
The First State
I like the wheels on your car. Seems like the back needs to be lowered a bit. You got that car for CHEAP. I remember when i got my 92 6 years ago i paid 4k with 105k miles on it. Anyway... Lower that rear end and that thing is on its way to sexyness.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
MK3Brent said:
You can leave that pipe.

It's probably welded to the anti-surge shroud.
The shroud on the 4088's don't do anything anyway as far as I know... there are no holes in it.
Actually, you have a point there. While the opening on the 4088 is a 4", the actual inlet to the turbo is still only 3", so that pipe isn't actually restricting anything. If the anti-surge is indeed not cut (mine isn't either. I remember that huge long thread you had about it), then you're not losing anything.

If you're worried about how it'll look, just stick a 4" intake on it. The 3" pipe inside will be swallowed up.

Edit: Powdercoat the compressor RED!

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
UPDATE!!!!

I revised some of the information on the main post to reflect recent progress...

...also, I pulled a failed hood scoop attempt out of the woods and began working on it again. Keep in mind, this was my first EVER attempt at any kind of serious body work, so don't bash it TOO hard.

;-)

p1110280_1.jpg

I tried to show a bit of the progress of it. It still needs work, but you get the idea.

p1110280_2.jpg

p1110280_3.jpg

p1110280_4.jpg

p1110280_5.jpg

p1110280_6.jpg

...I was kinda worried about it hitting my strut tower bar (or the motor, even) since the hole was so big, so we threw it on the car for a test fit...

p1110280_7.jpg

...the bump on the lower part of it is from one of the original braces in the underside of the hood contacting the cam cover (it's THAT close). A quick trim will fix that right up. I have a brand new (old stock) bomex bumper that should go nicely with it.

I'll try to get some more updates later.

-Devon Goodspeed

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
lol, actually, I started the hood over a year ago, so by the time I got around to actually finishing it my options were rather limited...

...and arizzle: the car actually IS lowered. I think it's just how it was sitting. I actually had to take the inner fenders out and cut the tabs off the outer fenders because they kept rubbing and it got annoying.

And the original reason why I didn't make it face the other direction is because I've seen that 23094823049823059823 times and just wanted something a bit different. It kinda reminds me of a mix between an ss camaro scoop and a celica.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
...well, the weatherstripping behind the cowl is gone, so I was kinda hoping that would help the wind resistance a bit...

...plus, given the location on the hood, I was kinda banking on most of the air flowing over the hood, instead of in it.

I'm considering making some ducting to direct fresh(er) air towards the intake on the turbo, but I'm still debating that. Your thoughts?

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
alloyguitar;1110389 said:
I'm considering making some ducting to direct fresh(er) air towards the intake on the turbo, but I'm still debating that. Your thoughts?

That's about the only way you can make that ram air hood functional, since you don't have a carb or a top mount intercooler. You're forcing more air into the high pressure zone and that will most likely slow down airflow through the radiator.