2jz ct12b differences?

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
i know the 2jz twins are sequential, but does this mean one turbo is bigger/smaller then the other? the housings arent marked like most turbos are :(

the reason i ask is because im fitting them on my 1jz and need to know if they can be ran in true twin, or if i have to make them sequential.

steven

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Here is a quote from a dude from supraforums, I know he has done this and another guy who I cannot find but it was nearly 4 years ago and Im not sure if they even come around the forums anymore.

youp;1053078 said:
its a little bit more complicated..
i've done it, i used for the turbine side 2 JDM (3 bolts) front tubo's and for the compressor side the normal front end back turbo, wich made it a true twin setup.
then i made a costum y pipe. pics are on the forum but that search thing is so f-ing hard to do.. ;-)
the way i've done it ONLY can be done if the exhaust manifold is jdm 3 bolt. if you have a usdm manifold its gonne be harder to do, but i think someone done it already so... watch and see what kind of answers you get.
regards youp

mmarkk

ShoarmaTeam Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Netherlands
^Yes that's Joep from www.supras.nl
His car is still running great with the twins
TA08-025.JPG

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
^^^^ Is there a way that Joep can get on SM and comment about using the CT12B twins? Also wasn't there a guy that used two front USDM turbos on his 1jz supra a few years back? For a wile I thought it was Acroth that did it but I believe I am mistaken...

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
If thier the same size what is the point on putting 2jz twin turbos on a 1jz? wheres the upgrade in that? usdm and edm 2jz turbos are not ceramic and are bigger ,they can generate 400+ whp with good tune

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
THE1JZSPECIAL;1053754 said:
If thier the same size what is the point on putting 2jz twin turbos on a 1jz? wheres the upgrade in that? usdm and edm 2jz turbos are not ceramic and are bigger ,they can generate 400+ whp with good tune

No silly, the 2JZ twins are the same size to each other. He asked if one was bigger than the other.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
i've got a pair of turbos off a 2JZ-GTE of unknown origin.... :)

they [strike]are sequential[/strike] were sequential until Ray Hall got hold of them, and the closest thing to them I've seen on a 2JZ was in an Aristo...

this is the turbos and the mods that were done to them before I got hold of them:
http://www.turbofast.com.au/lexusturbo.html

btw... 2 owners and a couple of years later and they're still running strong....

youp

destruction in progress
Aug 13, 2007
Haarlem
Zerocool;1053237 said:
^^^^ Is there a way that Joep can get on SM and comment about using the CT12B twins? Also wasn't there a guy that used two front USDM turbos on his 1jz supra a few years back? For a wile I thought it was Acroth that did it but I believe I am mistaken...

Its me!

if you're gonna do this, its like i said in the qoute from SF.
i used the JDM 2JZ turbo's because they have a 3 bolt patern, just like the 1JZ exhaust manifold (turbo's are slightly bigger).

i also used 2 front turbine's, so i didn't have the problem of the sequential stuff. there is another way, wich involves drilling and blocking-off. i did see a write up of it, but its been a while...:dunno:

O! here it is!: http://www.turbofast.com.au/lexusturbo.html thank you FIL

there is a difference between the 1J and 2J turbo's there are even differences between a 2J JDM and USDM(export) turbo's (the AR is different) the turbine of a USDM is bigger (i think..) so the spool up is slower.

the only tricky part is the connection of the boostcontroller, you'll have to bock-off one of the connections of the accurator valve. it does matter wich one! read the instruction manual for it. a good one is from the Apexi AVC-R (the first one) page 47. JZA 80 look good at the picture and find out wich one you have to block.

but after 4/5 years it still works. i've put 1.2 bar on them and get about 370 RWHP out of them

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Good stuff thank you youp! How much different are the USDM turbos compaired the JDM counterpart? What kind of work are you looking at getting two front usdm turbos on a 1jz other then making a bigger Y-pipe?

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I have two front USDM 12b's on my 1JZ. The turbo flange has been drilled and tapped to basically become a three bolt flange that will bolt on to the 1JZ's manifolds. The turbos are run in "true twin mode" the way I have them set up. I also have a completely custom Y-pipe and DP, as well as the same upgraded compressor wheels Stu Hagen originally had.

Really wanting to get around to get the car dyno'd and see what the setup is capable of on a 1JZ. Maybe if I can get the E-manage working right I will get around to it, before I throw the single on.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
fstlane88;1054457 said:
I have two front USDM 12b's on my 1JZ. The turbo flange has been drilled and tapped to basically become a three bolt flange that will bolt on to the 1JZ's manifolds. The turbos are run in "true twin mode" the way I have them set up. I also have a completely custom Y-pipe and DP, as well as the same upgraded compressor wheels Stu Hagen originally had.

Really wanting to get around to get the car dyno'd and see what the setup is capable of on a 1JZ. Maybe if I can get the E-manage working right I will get around to it, before I throw the single on.

Is there a way you can do some sort of write up on this? As I am very interested if you want PM me.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Unfortunately I didn't do the fab work, I pretty much bought it done. I bought them from Ken, that's his SN on here, and he had bought the kit from someone else. I want to say RGGUY, but I can't remember exactly it's been so long.

But....Like I already mentioned you will need two front turbos, and on the rear turbo it looks as though the wastegate arm was cut and re-welded to position correctly. The reasoning behind the two fronts, I'm assuming is that they both have WG's so you can run them in a true twin setup with each turbo seperate of each other, on separate manifolds. Also, like already mentioned the Y-pipe will have to be completely custom, but depending on how you make the Y-pipe you may or may not be able to use a readily available DP for the A70 chassis. When I pull the twins off I'm wanting to put them on another 1JZ swap I'm wanting to do in a Cressida, and will be having a shop make me a new Y-pipe, that not only fits better but will work with available DP's.

As far as other parts needed, you will need all of the 2JZ intake piping for the turbos, and it was originally thought that you couldn't get 12b's to work with stock 1JZ IC piping, but I ran them with stock IC piping and the stock IC for almost a month with no problems. Umm, for a BOV for the time being I'm using a stock 7M, yeah I know LOL, but it works. You could also use a stock 2JZ one. I'm soon going to be adding a Tial to the equation, but will keep the stocker in place just cause, until I go single. I originally bought a 2JZ heatshield thinking I couldn't get the 1JZ one to fit, but it actually does, which is very cool, and throws people off just that much more.

You will have to beat the firewall in to install them like has been mentioned when doing the 2JZ swap. It's cake though, I used a torch to soften the metal and then used a 5lb. hammer to make it happen.

Some pics...

p1054605_1.jpg

p1054605_2.jpg

p1054605_3.jpg

The setup apart...

p1054605_4.jpg

You guys have anymore questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer. Also if anything in my above post doesn't make sense blame the fact that I have tomorrow off of work and may be slightly inebriated. :beer:

youp

destruction in progress
Aug 13, 2007
Haarlem
one jay;1054899 said:
just go single. faster, cheaper, and more reliable. 60-1

more reliable.. i don't know.. im driving like this for about 4/5 years now, never had a problem.
faster, cheaper! yes
and less junk in the enginebay :biglaugh:

ps: i drive the car on trackdays, and outside the track, i drive the car like its been stolen :evil2: