200K Mile Supra Body Issues

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
So hypothetically of course..

I'm lookin' to see what there is to worry about in getting a supra body with over 200K on it.
..and lets say I'm looking at a rust free car.

What other issues should i be aware of?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
pretty much stated above, rust, straightness of the body, u wouldnt want to get a supra body with rust hiding somewhere, usually the spare tire well lol. and a straight body would be good, my car has a slight frame damage on the driver side but ill have to deal with it haha

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Bushings. All of them. Not that difficult of a job.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
I just bought one with 211k on the body. There is a little bit of rust in the spare tire well, which I have already taken care of. And there is some forming on the rear wheel well. After thorough inspection I haven't found any more.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Find out the car's history. If it is from a snow-free area, and you can't find any rust, it is unlikely that there is any hiding...either way, get your head under the rear wheel wells and check it out - this is the most susceptible location for hidden rust.

Aside from body rust, there is a pretty good chance that every rubber component on the car (bushings and suspension bumpers/isolators) is in need of replacement if you want a decent handling car. Same goes for the front ball joints and suspension (if it is stock).

There is a HUGE difference in handling between a sub-100k mile car and a 200k mile car just so you know.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
shaeff;1205562 said:
Bushings. All of them. Not that difficult of a job.

Are you guys/gals kidding?? replacing bushings is an easy job? I thought they have to be pressed out? If's it easy, then I'm gonna do mine. What does a full set of bushings cost from Toyota? Or maybe aftermarket?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
the new energy suspension poly bushings are definitely cheaper now...but a set of oems can be had for around 600 (minus the front lower control arms). On my car, I replaced all bushings with the exception of the two rear-most subframe ones. I think the total was less than $1k. Also, if you have access to a press and the right tools, installation and removal is relatively easy.

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
i'd check under the battery tray for rust, if it hasn't been relocated. i have some rust starting there. i brushed some por-15 on it to stop the rust process.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
<<Owns a 289k '90 with small amounts of surface rust in the spare tire well and NOWHERE ELSE.

Car was garaged in Cali for the first 17 years of its life and is now garaged and weekly washed in Colorado.

My bushings are old/worn and the suspension is a little soft, but not noticeably bad. My 90's suspension is most certainly better than the turbo's I bought over the summer.

Once your past ~150k, it boils down to how it was cared for more than anything else.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Thanks for the info guys,

Okay, well let's say i have the struts, balljoints, spindles, and drivetrain replacements for it.
Let's also say that this car just happens to be all straight and clean of rust.
After performing an extenive bushing job, what else remains a concern?
Anything missing?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Koenigturbo;1205753 said:
Are you guys/gals kidding?? replacing bushings is an easy job? I thought they have to be pressed out? If's it easy, then I'm gonna do mine. What does a full set of bushings cost from Toyota? Or maybe aftermarket?

Easy is a relative term. If you have access to a press, yes, it's easy. I personally think it's an easy job, but I also have all the right tools for the job at my disposal. ;)