2009 Corvette

What do you think?

• Total voters

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Poodles said:
what did Top Gear not like about the C6 ZO6?

- Tranny belongs on a tractor
- Suspension is too stiff and hard to live with
- Engine makes god aweful noises at low revs (typical LS engine)

well someone also said it rides fine...

has anyone on here ACTUALLY driven one?

Is Top Gear always spot on with their generalizations?

I wouldn't doubt those flaws are true though...in fact i think i remember that episode vaguely.. i'll watch it tomorrow and come back.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I drove one over a long weekend. No real complaints.

Interior is significantly improved over a c5.

As far as TG's complaints:

- Tranny belongs on a tractor. I thought the trans shifted beautifully and put power to the ground effectively.
- Suspension is too stiff and hard to live with. Meh. I live in Chicago, so I wouldn't be considering a Corvette for a daily anyway. To be sure, it is a stiff suspension, but to me this isn't a car that is supposed to be "plush". Only noticeably harsh over potholes, so I don't really know what TG is looking for here.
- Engine makes god aweful noises at low revs (typical LS engine) This is a valid complaint. It does make excessive noise when not really doing much. I don't know that I would categorize the sound as awful, but it is sort of unnatural for the motor to be making noise seemingly out of sync with how the motor is being pushed

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
TG is very spot on, and compared to what the corvette is out there to compete against in Europe (ZO6, gonna have to watch the normal C6 episode again), it has issues...

Keep in mind that Jeremy is a bit funny. He makes fun of lambos but owns one...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
dugums said:
I drove one over a long weekend. No real complaints.

Interior is significantly improved over a c5.

As far as TG's complaints:

- Tranny belongs on a tractor. I thought the trans shifted beautifully and put power to the ground effectively.
- Suspension is too stiff and hard to live with. Meh. I live in Chicago, so I wouldn't be considering a Corvette for a daily anyway. To be sure, it is a stiff suspension, but to me this isn't a car that is supposed to be "plush". Only noticeably harsh over potholes, so I don't really know what TG is looking for here.
- Engine makes god aweful noises at low revs (typical LS engine) This is a valid complaint. It does make excessive noise when not really doing much. I don't know that I would categorize the sound as awful, but it is sort of unnatural for the motor to be making noise seemingly out of sync with how the motor is being pushed

THANK you. It's nice to hear it like that, rather than "bah this is crap this is better"
of course that doesnt include the whole perspective or compare to other cars but at least it gives more opinions than just TG's. Sometimes I question the vadility of some of their (serious) statements, as to whether they are much biased or if they just want to make sure each car has little quirks so they aren't accused of advertising for the highest bidder...

certainly all drivers have a little bias toward personal preference however... Clarkson's tractor tranny might be another man's solid-shifting one...its all relative.

mmph...EDIT.

Poodles said:
TG is very spot on, and compared to what the corvette is out there to compete against in Europe (ZO6, gonna have to watch the normal C6 episode again), it has issues...

Keep in mind that Jeremy is a bit funny. He makes fun of lambos but owns one...

Hah, i was wondering why he likes to make fun of that particular make. that's funny... do you know of what cars he owns exactly? just curious. I distinctly remember his critique of the Countach... that was a good one. and I do keep in mind he is funny about things. thats why i love the show ;)

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Kai....you guys Have TG over there and Have Jeremy clarkson. i remember he was hating on on the old vettes. Gm has been doing some crazy QC on there cars. Better built stuff. I like the new Malibu

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
kai, have u been in a 06 c6? the interior has everything i could ask for (my buddy has one i ride in a lot) and it by no means is cheap. it doesnt have all the heavy unnessecary bmw things like seats that can lengthen or idrive.. which is quite annoying anyway.

M3's, AMGs.. they cant keep up with a Z06, not even close. against just a c6 would be a close match even.

and how does the suspension suck... Z06's can run with gt3's around a track, its been tested plenty o times. and that ghetto old pushrod engine sure sucks too.. man id hate to have old materials that go 0-60 in 3.7ish seconds

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
granted, the damn new ZR-1 should have had damn OHC heads like the old ZR-1...

Pushrods suck compared to a DOHC setup with variable valve timing...

Yes it's awesome what the engine is capable of, but image mow much BETTER the power band would have been with variable valve timing...

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
All haters are just pissed because of their previous Corvette kills. Nobody here owns a C6 and I doubt little to none have driven them or even took a look at them. You can take you opinionated bullshit you red about and shove it up the a certain part of your body till it reachs your intestines. Find me a car you can buy for under 75k and beat a Corvette in more than a few aspects.

My opinon more power FTMFW.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
im gunna go out on a limb and say i think he meant read...

and ford sucks cause unlike the corvettes old style things, their crappy live rear axel really hurts track times for mustangs

and poodles i agree.. mkiv with mods ftw lol

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
7Mboost said:
All haters are just pissed because of their previous Corvette kills. Nobody here owns a C6 and I doubt little to none have driven them or even took a look at them. You can take you opinionated bullshit you red about and shove it up the a certain part of your body till it reachs your intestines. Find me a car you can buy for under 75k and beat a Corvette in more than a few aspects.

My opinon more power FTMFW.

If we all had the same opinion, life would be rather dull.

I have been in american cars before, corvettes included. So i'm not just going by what i've read about, i'm going by personal experience too. Or are you as illiterate in your reading ability as you are in your spelling?

Also, your attitude stinks - adjust it before you're the one on the receiving end of a stick up your arse.

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
That Porsche is an 04. Its used so its in a completely different category. Because if thats the case then you can pick up a C5 for like 25k and find me a porsche for 25k that will keep up with a C5.
Just look at all these prices on 02 C5's...
C5's
And the LS and LT motors are amazing. They are strong as can be and easy to tune. Just because it used different technology doesn't mean that it is bad technology.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Back on topic, and to clear up a few things.

1) The mono springs used in the current C7 vettes are made of plastic/composite, and also act as anti-sway bars to some extent, so those can be smaller/lighter. The Z06 version does not use coilovers.

2) Extensive lightweight materials are used in both the base car, and even more so in the Z06 version, and the upcoming ZR1. Things like forged suspension control arms, and magnesium engine and rear transaxle subframes. The hood and fenders on the Z06 and ZR1 cars are super light CF, and there are a few other panels IIRC... The rest is fiberglass over a hydroformed aluminum perimiter frame for the top end cars, and hydroformed steel for the base cars. (Hydroforming is very high tech, and works quite nice as you can vary the material thickness and many other nifty tricks to make it strong, yet light as possible.)

3) The pushrod motors are not dead. Anyone notice that the acuators for the V4/V8 engine modes are in the LS9? I did. That means at highway speed, or under low load, your V8 becomes a V4, and the fuel economy goes way, way up. As for an engine like the LS9 that is rumored to be capable of 650hp, but will likely be sold as only 625hp... Hello? You need more than that amount of power stock eh? Look at the design. It has cross bolted mains, twin gerotor oil pumps, a semi-dry sump oil pan/system and built in oil cooler. The motor is very space wise, and will fit under or into most anything on the road.

Now, would I rather have a R8 with only 420hp, or the ZR1?

Totally depends on what I wanted to do. The R8 would be a better DD, and across the country car. It has AWD, better interior by a 1000% and will turn heads no matter where you go.

The ZR1 would be faster on the track, and probably get better gas mileage, would also turn heads in the right places and the interior has improved greatly from what it was, but the seats still suck, and there is no excuse for that from GM on a car of this type. (For this price, they should offer seat options/upgrades, and do it with a company like Sparco for example, or Recaro..)

The Vette also needs to offer a automatic/manual that is on par with what is out there right now. (Advanages of that would be better gas mileage, and only one transmisison needed across the board for the whole car line.)